Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:15 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

The most important things to stay safe in ANY are the following:

1. Situational Awareness - know who is around you, and where you are
2. Avoid high risk areas, and people
3. Don't be afraid to escape and evade (get away quickly)
4. If the law allows, carry a concealed firearm, and get training, on how, and when you can legally use it. It is a measure of last, last, last resort. The first three are much more important than the last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Can you really protect yourself to the point of safety? All you really can do is keep your eyes and ears open, being well aware of your surroundings, and live life. Carrying a gun isn't always the answer. HIding in our house for the rest of your life definitely isn't the answer.

Am I going to avoid cities, movie theaters, malls, sporting events, etc. out of fear? Will I not vacation just because I might be in the wrong place at the wrong time? Nope. Every day I drive a car which is dangerous enough (and statistics prove it).

Old 08-19-2017, 10:20 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Recent events reveal that we are all at risk when we go out in major cities world wide.
The answer is easy OP. Don't go to PUBLIC places.... Period. It's impossible to protect yourself in public from a determined terrorist who isn't afraid of capture and or death.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:21 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
How to protect yourself? Live in a place with gun control. NYC is the safest American city, with lower crime than random places in Iowa, and has the toughest gun control in America.

The most dangerous places in America are the ones where the terrorists at the NRA control the state legislatures.
I think safety is as much about having a good economy as it is about gun control. I think gun control is more important in super dense cities like New York, but reducing motive makes things safer everywhere.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,755,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The most important things to stay safe in ANY are the following:

1. Situational Awareness - know who is around you, and where you are
2. Avoid high risk areas, and people
3. Don't be afraid to escape and evade (get away quickly)
4. If the law allows, carry a concealed firearm, and get training, on how, and when you can legally use it. It is a measure of last, last, last resort. The first three are much more important than the last.
All of this is true. But you left out the fact that SOMEBODY is going to be the first person HIT. We all just hope it isn't us.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:23 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
9mm with a load of Gold Dots and a spare mag. If I do so while wearing a MAGA hat does it count as hunting with bait?

The brave man from Idaho blabs again.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:25 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
At the moment I am most afraid of the domestic terrorist groups like Antifa and BLM.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think safety is as much about having a good economy as it is about gun control. I think gun control is more important in super dense cities like New York, but reducing motive makes things safer everywhere.
Since when did criminals follow gun laws, or any laws? The cities with the strictest gun control laws have the highest crime rates.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Since when did criminals follow gun laws, or any laws? The cities with the strictest gun control laws have the highest crime rates.
Can you post the numbers for gun-related crimes? I'd be happy to reconsider if the data demonstrates what you say, controlling for local economies.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
All of this is true. But you left out the fact that SOMEBODY is going to be the first person HIT. We all just hope it isn't us.
True. There is no way to be 100% safe in any location, nor any situation. Life has a risk to it, and I am OK with that. I do what I can to mitigate the risks, and that is all I can do. I try to avoid cities, and states that force me, a law abiding citizen, to be disarmed as I am automatically at a disadvantage. The criminal are armed ILLEGALLY. By definition, they don't follow laws, only people like me follow the laws.

Ask the thousands of murderers in Chicago if the strict gun laws stopped them from murdering over turf, drugs, money, or status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies