Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 08:44 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times

Advertisements

Wars are started by politicians and fought by common men. In civil wars the men doing the fighting are fellow countrymen and sometimes even brothers. Remembering the men and women who fought on both sides of a civil war is a way of bringing countrymen back together in the aftermath of that war, and a way of healing a reunited nation. It also serves as a reminder of the true consequences of civil war in times when a nation is divided but not quite yet at war with itself once again.

The men who fought and died for the confederacy did not fight and die for slavery. General Lee fought to defend Virginia. The men and women in the ranks fought and often died for their homes and their families and their fellows. The politicians and landed gentry who started the war did not have the same motivations as the men who fought it and we would do well to remember that. Monuments and statues of confederate officers and fighting men are not meant to honor slavery they are meant to honor the men who fought and the men whose blood soaked the American ground where the battles were fought.

These are just my own thoughts so please don't ask for a link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
History?! On this webpage? My good man, I think you're in the wrong place.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:59 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
History?! On this webpage? My good man, I think you're in the wrong place.
Well it's a topic that is both history and modern controversy as well as being tied in heavily to modern politics. If this is the wrong forum to post this in the mods can move it if they wish.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:09 AM

25,731 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Wars are started by politicians and fought by common men. In civil wars the men doing the fighting are fellow countrymen and sometimes even brothers. Remembering the men and women who fought on both sides of a civil war is a way of bringing countrymen back together in the aftermath of that war, and a way of healing a reunited nation. It also serves as a reminder of the true consequences of civil war in times when a nation is divided but not quite yet at war with itself once again.

The men who fought and died for the confederacy did not fight and die for slavery. General Lee fought to defend Virginia. The men and women in the ranks fought and often died for their homes and their families and their fellows. The politicians and landed gentry who started the war did not have the same motivations as the men who fought it and we would do well to remember that. Monuments and statues of confederate officers and fighting men are not meant to honor slavery they are meant to honor the men who fought and the men whose blood soaked the American ground where the battles were fought.

These are just my own thoughts so please don't ask for a link.
You're wasting your breath. They won't get it. They've been brainwashed from youth just as surely as the kamikazes were brainwashed in imperial Japan. Just as surely as ISIS killers are today. They do not understand that it was a nation divided in half and that the men fighting for both sides were fighting for "their country." They do not understand that the common foot soldier of the south was largely poor and was probably little more than a slave himself. He'd certainly never owned a slave. He happened to be on the wrong patch of real estate at the wrong time, and he happened to, unfortunately, be swept up in a youthful romanticism about what war is as youth so often are. He happened to read the news media of the time that said the "Yankees" were coming to destroy his world. And he happened to believe it.

They don't understand that they, themselves, would very likely do the same thing today for different reasons. If, hypothetically speaking, the east half and west half of the US were to split, there are very few east coast youth and young men (NYC, Boston, NJ, etc) who would go running to off to Montana or Idaho or North Dakota to join their "militia" no matter the cause their east coast states stood for. They would defend "their country."

They don't get any of that because they have no common sense. Common sense was outlawed years ago.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Well it's a topic that is both history and modern controversy as well as being tied in heavily to modern politics. If this is the wrong forum to post this in the mods can move it if they wish.
No no, I was being sarcastic. If you read most of the other "thoughts" here on this issue it amounts to "The south lost!!!!!!! They were like Nazis!!!!!!" I'm glad to see someone else here who actually knows a bit of history.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:17 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,391 times
I would think some of those statues bring closure for those that lost a loved one fighting for the South.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:22 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,673,944 times
IMO After the Buchanan v Warley supreme court decision in 1917 municipalities needed something to replace the sundown town signs. The statues were a way of communicating to outsiders that, "we still play by the old rules here."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies