Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
you think the left is going to stop at getting statues they dont like removed??

book burning is on the way.

As someone to went to Duke, this is so sad.
Ehh, just light yourself up a cigarette in honor of 'ole Washington Duke and you'll feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 07:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
terrible decision, you dont get to erase history you dont like.
No one is erasing history, they are taking down a statue.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Children today and in the future will always learn of the treasonous and hateful history of the Confederacy by way of textbooks and the Internet.
They are going to use some Jedi mind trick to wipe our memories clean of it ever happening!

Those are not the droids you are looking for.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:23 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
General Less was a respected Office in the Union Army and the CSA. He was working with President Johnson to rebuild the South after the War.

In all Gen. Lee was respected on Both sides during the War and had the Respect of the American People in restoring the Union.

Liberals have such narrow thinking.
Because they are very stupid people.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Kimmel

p.s. Ghost - well said and correct.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:25 PM

23,531 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
The title speaks for itself but opine as you like or not.

I agree with the decision!
Waiting for Ole Miss Rebels and UNLV "Runnin Rebels' to fall or close their doors.

Removing the confed statues is a conspiracy to take a slide down the slippery slope with other goals in mind. Some activists taking advantage of white guilt, engage in this idiocy, pretending to represnt all Black people and the media supports them lest they be called racist and of course advance their crusade to destroy Trump with wild stories about him winking at white supremists.

Just like you have to practice everyday to get good a juggling axes and knives act, you have to immerse yourself daily in hyper sensitivity training to even pretend the sight of robert e lee causes tears to fall.

The plan to destroy the country is working well and some many gullible people have joined in the hysteria.

Cotton closthes will be next to fall.

Japanese an dGerman cars must be taken off the road...oh the humanity! WW2 agressors must go.... or I'll cry, I really will. Real tears.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:19 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Statues aren't history. You learn history in school and from your patents. How many of you have actually had a teaching moment with your kids standing in front of one of these statues. If you told them the truth about these men, how do you think they would react. Depending on their age, I think many would be disgusted.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:32 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
I am not a left winger not by a long shot. I am not from the south. But I don't get the connection with controversial statues and history.

Why don't we put up Hitler and Osama Bin Laden if that is the criteria? They were both part of the history that effected Americans.

The southern generals were not heroes. To me you put up statues to honor people not just for history. They took up arms and killed American citizens. And they lost so they are losers. Just like Hitler and Osama Bin Laden.

If a particular place like a school or town wants to take them down who cares? I am pretty sure I will never be on the campus of Duke University so it has no effect on me.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Fifty posts in this thread and no e seems to understand democracy. If local government wants to remove the statue that is their call.
You're singing my song.

I must have posted this 50 times in the past few days. People are absolutely tying themselves in knots over this issue, as if their angst should change anything.

It's weird to see conservatives suddenly espouse mandated historic preservation.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:00 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So I guess they should bring down all those Napoleon statues in Europe as well. Don't forget to bring down the statues of Kaiser Wilhelm II while you're at it

The lefties are in full rage mode

Lefties don't want democracy. They want their way, or no way at all. Basically, they want mob rule and anarchy. Which explains all the recent acts of vandalism on US monuments, statues, etc. Lefties have lost their minds, and now they think they own the whole USA. They do not. Democracy still stands, and if they continue running amok, they will eventually run head first into a brick wall called law and order. This is a civilized society, and if they cannot behave in a civilized manner, authority will rain down on them like a hammer.
Why do I care about napoleons or hothead Wilhelm? If the French and the Germans want to put up their statues, I don't care. But in the US we shouldn't put up statues of folks who actively worked, for whatever reason, to destroy the union. Or did you not pay attn in your US history class.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:09 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,149,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, Thomas Jefferson statues and memorials?
Hey Pedro - How goes it? No I'm cool with TJ, he gets the founding fathers pass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies