U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:20 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Businesses exist to produce profits. Since when has that been the purpose of the country?
Apparently it's the "purpose of the country" for it to produce profits for Trump and his buddies today.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 AM

5,937 posts, read 5,436,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The "he's a businessman" excuse is to cover for the fact that they voted for him because they saw him on Celebrity Apprentice and loved the way he trashed immigrants, minorities, and women.

I think Trump got votes because 1. Lots of people hated Hillary Clinton, 2. Fatigue from continuously electing politicians that talk a good game but didnt do anything about the continued financial pressure on the middle/working classes or about illegal immigration, and 3. His willingness to give voice to racial and religious resentment that some white people had been feeling too scared to voice out loud themselves.

That "decisive strong business genius" image generated from his TV show helped wrap it all up in a seemingly sensible package... if you were willing to ignore all the red flags.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:04 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,294,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Because TRUMP is a doer, not a talker only.
He hasn't done anything yet.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:08 AM

4,662 posts, read 2,294,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Once again, politicians have put us in multiple wars, lied to us, rung up $20 trillion in debt, destroyed many schools, written tons of horrible rules, constantly given tax money to private business, performed medical experiments on its own citizens, etc etc.

You call that success?
Well, many politicians in our government were businessmen in their former lives. And that includes politicians on both sides of the aisle. So I essentially view the terms "politician" and "businessman" as quite interchangeable these days.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:18 AM

71,986 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Given what's happening right now, I thought this was a fair question.

Fact is, I never understood why people believed that "we need a businessman in the White House." The notion is ridiculous on its face. The job of a President is a job for a politician, not an MBA. It's the highest political job in the world. Why would anyone believe that someone with no political experience is necessarily qualified for that job?

Moreover, given the culture of American business at Trump's level (the culture of avarice at all costs), what's so appealing to people about American Businessmen? We saw what happened in 2008-2009 when they nearly ran the country completely off the rails, and yet, people think that these are the people that should be running the country?

Trump is something of a real estate savant....he never once showed that he had knowledge of any other topic. Why? Because he doesn't know anything else. He's got enough money to fly around the world, but he's not worldly by any stretch. Our president should be a worldly man or woman since they'd be the most powerful politician on the planet.

Yet, I STILL hear people saying that we need a businessman in office.
who ever said or believed we need or needed a business man as president? If people felt that way they would have elected a non politician years ago. I think some were saying having a business person will not hurt. and that really is true. Nothing Trump has done indicates otherwise. If you are hearing people say we need a businessman as president I have to wonder who you hang out with and what are they drinking or smoking?

As for needing a person that is a politician and not one with then MBA, you do realize many of our presidents have had MBAs don't you?

People voted for him because they wanted an outsider and really didn't care what the person's background was: they didn't Clinton and Trump knew how to convince people he was the one. Like him or not, he knew how to run a campaign.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:27 AM

715 posts, read 288,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
...Like him or not, he knew how to run a campaign.
So true, it's just too bad that in 8 months he hasn't learned a thing about how to run a country...

Old 08-20-2017, 11:29 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who ever said or believed we need or needed a business man as president? If people felt that way they would have elected a non politician years ago. I think some were saying having a business person will not hurt. and that really is true. Nothing Trump has done indicates otherwise. If you are hearing people say we need a businessman as president I have to wonder who you hang out with and what are they drinking or smoking?

As for needing a person that is a politician and not one with then MBA, you do realize many of our presidents have had MBAs don't you?

People voted for him because they wanted an outsider and really didn't care what the person's background was: they didn't Clinton and Trump knew how to convince people he was the one. Like him or not, he knew how to run a campaign.
Well, him and RUSSIANS. Wikileaks won him the campaign (and even then he didn't win the popular vote).

Ken

Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
25,335 posts, read 14,052,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Businesses exist to produce profits. Since when has that been the purpose of the country?
uhm,.... a country is a business

our government is a corporation

Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 AM

5,397 posts, read 6,538,749 times
being able to make hard decision based upon objective analysis and let's face it 'instinct'. that is why people do prefer a businessperson over a politician. Now whether a businessperson can get the business of government done with a gaggle of politicians whose primary interest is reelection, may be more the question.

Agree with above poster, #109. Government is one huge business. pure and simple. I had a property book of over $6 Billion dollars worth of equipment to manage, inventory, and care for and that was in the 80s. Those are big numbers and it takes a big staff to do that. My staff was 354 people. it was all about business.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:39 PM

1,153 posts, read 459,783 times
Trump doesn't know the first thing about the needs of the people.

Hillary was an institutionalized politician who knew how to work the system above the needs of the people.

A career Military candidate should not be able to run but Eisenhower worked out pretty well.

I thought Colin Powell should have been the first black president.

The military is the most diverse institution we have that isn't owned by a party, maybe we need a military President once and awhile for a healthy reboot of our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies