U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 02:42 PM

12,245 posts, read 6,962,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Someone needs to pick up and read a book on Social Studies or a lesson in Civics.
?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 02:44 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,795,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do I think it will be different under Trump? No, that's why I didn't vote for him.

That doesn't change the fact that career politicians have been screwing up this country for decades.

Did you believe Hillary was going to change her spots?
No, but I'm OK with her "spots" - Trump is an INCOMPETENT MORON.

"Career politicians" have made this the richest, most powerful and successful nation in history - with levels of individual freedom unheard of in previous ages. If that's not good enough for ya' then sorry, but that's the best you are gonna get. If you disagree with that assessment, gives us an example of large nation or political system that's done a better job for it's citizens - because so far you've not come up with any answers. Trump and Alt-Right are certainly NOT the answer.

Ken

Old 08-19-2017, 02:48 PM

19,185 posts, read 15,038,047 times
Easy. The government is very inefficient and wasteful. I worked for two federal government agencies and am currently working with Social Security now for 8 months to fix a mistake that they made. 8 MONTHS! In a private business, people loss their jobs when they screw up.

Trump is more than a businessman. He is aware of the conditions in the world. Understands economics, and most of all is a patriotic citizen that sees what is happening to a country that he loves, that has been good to him and his family. Trump wants to see others in the country have a chance to excel rather than become the 3rd world dump that Obama/Clinton and associates want in order that they alone may flourish.

It was about globalism vs nationalism, so much more than Trump being a businessman. And, as always, we have the fact that Hillary Clinton was the most morally, mentally and physically unfit candidate to ever run for office.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:54 PM

50,723 posts, read 26,752,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Because we are around 20 trillion in debt and getting worse, our infrastructure continues to crumble, the economy is artificially being held up by the Fed... we needed a business man to save our economy and get things done (politicians cant, how many decades have we been promised the same things). Trump's executive order on environmental reviews was worth voting for him just on that alone in my opinion. Instead of 10+ years and millions of legal fees, development can happen in just two years and developers don't have to go around and around and around and around making the project so expensive, they back out.
We're 20 trillion in debt because American politicians won't tell the American people the truth about themselves. What is that truth?

The truth is that Americans are addicted to big government and global military hegemony. Those things are expensive, yet Conservative politicians keep telling Americans that they can have all that AND a big tax cut too. No one ever says "if you people in _________ (fill in the state) want this, then dammit, you've gotta pay for it!"

No, they say "you can have everything you want...oh and by the way, let me cut taxes on the wealthy and gut the regulatory system for my pals. Oh and BTW, let me lavish trillions on the Pentagon. If you let me do that, you'll get rich one day too! And to boot, you can keep your guns!"

That's why we're 20 trillion in debt.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:55 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,146,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Easy. The government is very inefficient and wasteful. I worked for two federal government agencies and am currently working with Social Security now for 8 months to fix a mistake that they made. 8 MONTHS! In a private business, people loss their jobs when they screw up.

Trump is more than a businessman. He is aware of the conditions in the world. Understands economics, and most of all is a patriotic citizen that sees what is happening to a country that he loves, that has been good to him and his family. Trump wants to see others in the country have a chance to excel rather than become the 3rd world dump that Obama/Clinton and associates want in order that they alone may flourish.

It was about globalism vs nationalism, so much more than Trump being a businessman. And, as always, we have the fact that Hillary Clinton was the most morally, mentally and physically unfit candidate to ever run for office.
I have also worked for federal agencies, (three) and 3 private corporations.

The problem is not so much that government is inefficient but there have been so many "rules" put in place to run government to the letter of the law that quite often, personnel, are hamstrung to do the best thing. I'm not entirely sure how it got that way, but it's the problem that I see.

For instance, right now I am working in an area of finance that is under HEAVY audit. The audit is a good thing; it's what everyone wants: accountability and transparency. Yet, in order to provide that and comply with all the rules several processes have had about 5 more layers added to them with additional internal controls (people) added. It works, it's clean, but it's now pretty hefty. The employees don't enjoy this either; makes the job very tough/slow to accomplish.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:00 PM

21,673 posts, read 11,135,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Given what's happening right now, I thought this was a fair question.

Fact is, I never understood why people believed that "we need a businessman in the White House." The notion is ridiculous on its face. The job of a President is a job for a politician, not an MBA. It's the highest political job in the world. Why would anyone believe that someone with no political experience is necessarily qualified for that job?

Moreover, given the culture of American business at Trump's level (the culture of avarice at all costs), what's so appealing to people about American Businessmen? We saw what happened in 2008-2009 when they nearly ran the country completely off the rails, and yet, people think that these are the people that should be running the country?

Trump is something of a real estate savant....he never once showed that he had knowledge of any other topic. Why? Because he doesn't know anything else. He's got enough money to fly around the world, but he's not worldly by any stretch. Our president should be a worldly man or woman since they'd be the most powerful politician on the planet.

Yet, I STILL hear people saying that we need a businessman in office.
Because TRUMP is a doer, not a talker only.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:03 PM

21,673 posts, read 11,135,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We're 20 trillion in debt because American politicians won't tell the American people the truth about themselves. What is that truth?

The truth is that Americans are addicted to big government and global military hegemony. Those things are expensive, yet Conservative politicians keep telling Americans that they can have all that AND a big tax cut too. No one ever says "if you people in _________ (fill in the state) want this, then dammit, you've gotta pay for it!"

No, they say "you can have everything you want...oh and by the way, let me cut taxes on the wealthy and gut the regulatory system for my pals. Oh and BTW, let me lavish trillions on the Pentagon. If you let me do that, you'll get rich one day too! And to boot, you can keep your guns!"

That's why we're 20 trillion in debt.
Obama doubled the debt inviting illegals to get on board for freebees. They took more welfare than Americans.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:04 PM

24,853 posts, read 9,681,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If we all lived in a sparsely populated wilderness and armed ourselves to protect our spread out homesteads we might be able to live in the libertarian's paradise but in any society with any sort of town or city living in it, anarchy would result in despotism in a short period of time. We can elect our leaders or we can let the strongest guy on the block rule us by brute force. Sure the guy we elect may use brute force as well, but your anarchy will not deprive us of that forceful rule at all. Remember in your voluntary state not everyone will agree with each other and there will still be people seeking to impose their will on others.
Ugh. Same ole same ole.

Back to the topic...

Old 08-19-2017, 03:12 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,709,405 times
Largely because people have no idea what the government actually does, nor how a federal government operates, and so they assume the default is "business".

And because this is America, "business" is glorified beyond any wrong-doing. And if you cannot see the differences that are required between the two, maybe you buy into the propaganda and assume "business" is superior.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:13 PM

5,937 posts, read 5,439,380 times
The healthcare system is a mess. Too many people involved pursuing thier own agendas, driving up prices. I think we should put football coaches in charge. They are tough and know how to get everyone on the same team. Yup.

I am not satisfied with American education. Kids should be learning more. I think we should put motivational speakers in charge. They know how to help people learn things and like it.

Makes as much sense as putting businessmen in charge of legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies