U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:59 PM

4,695 posts, read 2,544,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Because TRUMP is a doer, not a talker only.
No, he is quite obviously a TALKER (at elementary school level unless he has and uses his teleprompter), NOT a DOER.

He was a TV celebrity that faked being a successful businessman. He did what he was told by the people who ran the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,783,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As a CPA I have always believed that someone with a strong business background would be well suited for POTUS. Trump was NOT the best for this because he lacks any political experience, as politics isn't strictly business. But when you step back and look at the country, it really is a business playing with trillions of dollars, our dollars that we work so hard for. Large businesses are complex with economic and legal issues abound. Government is no different. I have recently thought that "just" a politician has caught up to this country and weakened it. High debt, poor infrastructure, many homeless, throwing away money internationally - the business of our country isn't great, and someone with a business background (and with political background too) is the best way to run this country.
As I mentioned in another post, businessmen who became President have generally done a pretty poor job. The skill set doesn't seem to translate well.
Consider the 2 Bush's, Carter, Harding, etc, etc, etc

7 Businessmen Who Became US Presidents | Bankrate.com

Businessmen, including Donald Trump, make bad presidents | TheHill

Ken

Old 08-19-2017, 07:08 PM

39,251 posts, read 20,356,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As well as spend more than they take.
And then demand more of the people's money because they couldn't meet their budget as if the people have money to give.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No, but I'm OK with her "spots" - Trump is an INCOMPETENT MORON.

"Career politicians" have made this the richest, most powerful and successful nation in history - with levels of individual freedom unheard of in previous ages. If that's not good enough for ya' then sorry, but that's the best you are gonna get. If you disagree with that assessment, gives us an example of large nation or political system that's done a better job for it's citizens - because so far you've not come up with any answers. Trump and Alt-Right are certainly NOT the answer.

Ken
Maybe for the politicians but for you and me, not so much. We're just the little guy always having to pay more to feed the monster and greedy politicians.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:10 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,783,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Maybe for the politicians but for you and me, not so much. We're just the little guy always having to pay more to feed the monster and greedy politicians.
Care to name me anywhere on earth where you think you'd be doing BETTER?

Ken

Old 08-19-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We're 20 trillion in debt because American politicians won't tell the American people the truth about themselves. What is that truth?

The truth is that Americans are addicted to big government and global military hegemony. Those things are expensive, yet Conservative politicians keep telling Americans that they can have all that AND a big tax cut too. No one ever says "if you people in _________ (fill in the state) want this, then dammit, you've gotta pay for it!"

No, they say "you can have everything you want...oh and by the way, let me cut taxes on the wealthy and gut the regulatory system for my pals. Oh and BTW, let me lavish trillions on the Pentagon. If you let me do that, you'll get rich one day too! And to boot, you can keep your guns!"

That's why we're 20 trillion in debt.
Exactly, Americans are addicted to big government handouts and global military trying to enforce our way of life on others, It's time for a America First president but then you turn around and want to let the world citizen come here illegally.

Last edited by petch751; 08-19-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Care to name me anywhere on earth where you think you'd be doing BETTER?

Ken
I don't think we can but that doesn't mean we should have to keep giving more and more of our money to government. or be forced to support illegal immigrants either. If that's the case we'll end up just like the countries they are coming from. There is a bottom you know, just like you're bank account has a bottom. You don't wait until you're broke to do something about it.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:16 PM

18,512 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Given what's happening right now, I thought this was a fair question.

Fact is, I never understood why people believed that "we need a businessman in the White House." The notion is ridiculous on its face. The job of a President is a job for a politician, not an MBA. It's the highest political job in the world. Why would anyone believe that someone with no political experience is necessarily qualified for that job?

Moreover, given the culture of American business at Trump's level (the culture of avarice at all costs), what's so appealing to people about American Businessmen? We saw what happened in 2008-2009 when they nearly ran the country completely off the rails, and yet, people think that these are the people that should be running the country?

Trump is something of a real estate savant....he never once showed that he had knowledge of any other topic. Why? Because he doesn't know anything else. He's got enough money to fly around the world, but he's not worldly by any stretch. Our president should be a worldly man or woman since they'd be the most powerful politician on the planet.

Yet, I STILL hear people saying that we need a businessman in office.
1. The Dims running the House and Senate ran the country off the rails in 2008-2009. The Dims ran Congress and Senate 2007-2010.
2. Republicans were hired to run Congress (which they have since 2010) and fix the Dim mess which they have done for the last 6+ years.
3. You saw what happened to the stock market (and since) the day after Trump was elected. We now have the lowest unemployment since 2001 and the market is at its highest level ever. Electing a businessman to run the country is proving extremely wise.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As a CPA I have always believed that someone with a strong business background would be well suited for POTUS. Trump was NOT the best for this because he lacks any political experience, as politics isn't strictly business. But when you step back and look at the country, it really is a business playing with trillions of dollars, our dollars that we work so hard for. Large businesses are complex with economic and legal issues abound. Government is no different. I have recently thought that "just" a politician has caught up to this country and weakened it. High debt, poor infrastructure, many homeless, throwing away money internationally - the business of our country isn't great, and someone with a business background (and with political background too) is the best way to run this country.
As a JD CPA, and one who has spent most of her professional career doing the nightmare work that is "trade bargaining"-- IE, making it legal for companies to sell crap to foreign markets-- I can tell you that business people are in no way, shape, or form prepared to handle the politics of just fixing a goddamn road.

You see it as a simple, one-dimensional solution.

You are not seeing the people who, despite living on the road, do not want to deal with the construction.

You are not taking into account the fact that you have several hundred thousand other roads that also need maintenance, and which one is really important, and ten competing construction firms aren't actually making good deals. And also, any of the above choices-- any of them at all-- is going to seriously **** off someone who seems completely and totally unrelated to fixing a road.

After all, money spent on roads isn't money spent on your colleague and political ally in the HUD. Or Section 8 vouchers. Or your political donor whose son runs a construction firm.

Or the other 70+ people in the legislature who will Seal Team 6 your ass into Veto Purgatory because the letter next to your name isn't the same as theirs.

Also, legislation requires passing a budget. It's part of other, seemingly unrelated legislation. There are going to be at least five different issues (if you're lucky) that are totally unrelated and require compromise if you have to get that funding you need to fix that one road.

That's why government is not a business. A business exists to generate profit. That's all it has to do. A government has to balance the endless bull**** that general citizens have the luxury of ignoring.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:27 PM

18,512 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Um, the stock market plummeted the day after Trump was elected.

Which is exactly the same as under Obama, where Trump claimed the economy was "American carnage".

What "businessman"? Bloomberg didn't run and if he did no one in the Trump cult would vote for him.

You meant to write "electing a reality show host to run the country is a massive disaster"
Your claim that the stock market plummeted the day after Trump was elected is the opposite of truth.

Wall Street welcomes Trump with a bang - Nov. 9, 2016

Anyone that will say that has zero credibility on anything they say from now on if they are that big of a liar or so stupid not to realize what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies