Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I agree with others - we've had politicians working for us all along and it's not getting better it's getting worse. Career politicians are the scum of the Earth. I'd have more respect for them if they'd go into the job to do what is right and consquences be damned (being voted out of office).
Voters at some point have to stop blaming the politicians, the media, the moon and the stars.

We choose to vote for these guys. If you vote for a career politician...then you are part of the problem.

Trying to fix it by electing someone who has no clue about most of the more critical issues makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 10:09 PM

30,161 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Moreover, given the culture of American business at Trump's level (the culture of avarice at all costs), what's so appealing to people about American Businessmen? We saw what happened in 2008-2009 when they nearly ran the country completely off the rails, and yet, people think that these are the people that should be running the country?
Business is not avarice at all costs. That is a stupid statement.

The 2008 meltdown was fueled by government trying to dictate to business the rules. And the rules were lend to everyone via fannie and freddie. Then when it went south the left blames business not the policies that created this situation. Sure when the government say lend to everyone lenders and banks step it. But it was the government that created this environment not businesses.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:14 PM

1,548 posts, read 913,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

We choose to vote for these guys. If you vote for a career politician...then you are part of the problem.
Well, right. That's why we voted for Donald Trump. Once President Trump is done I am going back to voting 3rd party, which I was for the past 20 years.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 PM

943 posts, read 782,553 times
Quote:
I agree with others - we've had politicians working for us all along and it's not getting better it's getting worse. Career politicians are the scum of the Earth. I'd have more respect for them if they'd go into the job to do what is right and consquences be damned (being voted out of office).
What is wrong with being a career politician.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:20 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Wealth is created by businesses, workers, etc. Not government.

Also, doing more of the same and expecting different results is insanity. So it was time for a meaningful change, instead of electing professional nobodies like Hillary Clinton. And let's hope America isn't foolish enough to ever elect another "community organizer", whatever the hell that is. Professional bums/losers/parasites will never make this country great again.
Amen. Business built this nations economy, which is still the biggest in the world.

We need MORE businessmen in government, fewer pols, who are a drain on the economy.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Wealth is created by businesses, workers, etc. Not government.

Also, doing more of the same and expecting different results is insanity. So it was time for a meaningful change, instead of electing professional nobodies like Hillary Clinton. And let's hope America isn't foolish enough to ever elect another "community organizer", whatever the hell that is. Professional bums/losers/parasites will never make this country great again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. Business built this nation's economy, which is still the biggest in the world.

We need MORE businessmen in government, fewer pols, who are a drain on the economy.

The two best posts on this thread, and they say it all. Thank you, guys. Politicians will just let you down. People who have been successful in business and know how to run a business can actually make for better government. What President Trump needs now, more than anything, is full cooperation and support from what's supposed to be a Republican-led Congress.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Easy. The government is very inefficient and wasteful. I worked for two federal government agencies and am currently working with Social Security now for 8 months to fix a mistake that they made. 8 MONTHS! In a private business, people loss their jobs when they screw up.

Trump is more than a businessman. He is aware of the conditions in the world. Understands economics, and most of all is a patriotic citizen that sees what is happening to a country that he loves, that has been good to him and his family. Trump wants to see others in the country have a chance to excel rather than become the 3rd world dump that Obama/Clinton and associates want in order that they alone may flourish.

It was about globalism vs nationalism, so much more than Trump being a businessman. And, as always, we have the fact that Hillary Clinton was the most morally, mentally and physically unfit candidate to ever run for office.
You see Mr Trump through some seriously flawed rose colored glasses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Because TRUMP is a doer, not a talker only.
What did he DO?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama doubled the debt inviting illegals to get on board for freebees. They took more welfare than Americans.
Turn off Limbaugh and Hannity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Forbes has had some interesting articles on this. Between 1900 and 2015, the Federal budget had a deficit in 89 out of 116 years (77% of the time). They cited some key things that started us on this course - FDR's New Deal, LBJ's War on Poverty, and Nixon's removal of the gold standard.

All of these have led to an entitlement mentality and nanny state, which is what you're saying.

Local and Federal government won't reduce spending because they'll lose their budget if they do, they're afraid to increase taxes on the upper class and on corporations, for fear they'll move, and they continue increasing taxes on the middle class, which is shrinking.

Not to mention, there are years our citizens spend more on Israel's defense than Israeli citizens do. We send money to countries all over the world. And the Pentagon still hasn't found $8.5 TRILLION dollars they can't account for.

Nearly all money budgeted for welfare doesn't go to welfare recipients and programs, it goes toward administration of those programs.

In Chicago, half the money set aside for education goes to the union.

Spending is out of control.

People aren't saying a businessman needs to be in office because history informs us that this is something that works, they're saying this out of sheer desperation and fear.
Spending may or may not be out of control, but the government is spending on the things that Americans want and telling Americans that they don't have to pay for it.

And yeah....you're absolutely right. Trump is a result of sheer desperation. He's not qualified to run a fish hatchery, and I knew it all along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
As a CPA I have always believed that someone with a strong business background would be well suited for POTUS. Trump was NOT the best for this because he lacks any political experience, as politics isn't strictly business. But when you step back and look at the country, it really is a business playing with trillions of dollars, our dollars that we work so hard for. Large businesses are complex with economic and legal issues abound. Government is no different. I have recently thought that "just" a politician has caught up to this country and weakened it. High debt, poor infrastructure, many homeless, throwing away money internationally - the business of our country isn't great, and someone with a business background (and with political background too) is the best way to run this country.
I've seen no evidence that a businessman has a clue how to run a country. I just don't see The parallels. It makes for a great platitude, but not much else.

I'd much rather hire a historian, philosopher, or a lawyer as POTUS than a businessman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup. There's a REASON Trump said "I love debt, I'm the king of debt" - in the past he's owed lenders so much money they couldn't AFFORD to let him go under and so they had to bail him out or be dragged down with him. After that they became pretty leery of doing business with him.

Donald Trump: 'I'm the king of debt' - May. 5, 2016

Ken
He's a genius at losing other people's money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And then demand more of the people's money because they couldn't meet their budget as if the people have money to give.
The people want big government. They SHOULD have money demanded of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Exactly, Americans are addicted to big government handouts and global military trying to enforce our way of life on others, It's time for a America First president but then you turn around and want to let the world citizen come here illegally.
I do? Who told you that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
1. The Democrats running the House and Senate ran the country off the rails in 2008-2009. The Dims ran Congress and Senate 2007-2010.
2. Republicans were hired to run Congress (which they have since 2010) and fix the Democrat's mess which they have done for the last 6+ years.
3. You saw what happened to the stock market (and since) the day after Trump was elected. We now have the lowest unemployment since 2001 and the market is at its highest level ever. Electing a businessman to run the country is proving extremely wise.
BS...the banks, not exactly a bastion of liberalism ran the country off the rails.

And Trump isn't responsible for any present economic conditions. Hell, he's yet to come up with a budget yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You're damn right we need a businessman in office. I have thought so for the past 25 years.
We are now 20 trillion dollars in debt.
We need a lot less 'politicians' and a lot more common sense.
I'm not sure we need THIS particular businessman in office, however.
You're not sure, huh? Really?

Anyway, again...we are 20 trillion in debt because Americans want big government and military hegemony. That's expensive.

What businessman is gonna tell the American people that they have to actually pay for the things they want?

Methinks that you grossly overrate businessmen. Managing a government is nowhere near the same thing as managing GM or Apple. Making profits for shareholders has little correlation to the presidency. If any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Look how much debt our politicians have gotten us into.
Again with the debt stuff.

Again for the millionth time, politicians spend money on things that the American people want. They don't spend money on big fat government and military largesse just because that's what they feel like doing. They do it because the American people demand it.

They correct answer is to make Americans pay for what they want...not promise them goodies with tax cuts attached. And please, don't tell me that lower taxes gives government more revenue. That's already proven to be a lie.
Quote:
Career politicians are no scummier than your typical CEO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Voters at some point have to stop blaming the politicians, the media, the moon and the stars.

Trying to fix it by electing someone who has no clue about most of the more critical issues makes no sense to me.
THANK YOU!!!

Americans claim that they hate career politicians, but everyone in Congress has been there forever. If they hate career politicians so much, why is Chuck Schumer or Mitch McConnell still in the Senate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Business is not avarice at all costs. That is a stupid statement.

The 2008 meltdown was fueled by government trying to dictate to business the rules. And the rules were lend to everyone via fannie and freddie. Then when it went south the left blames business not the policies that created this situation. Sure when the government say lend to everyone lenders and banks step it. But it was the government that created this environment not businesses.
Nonsense.

The banks made those loans on their own. They were not forced to come up with those products. They got inventive and greedy.

The whole "the government made them do it" is a copout, and a bald faced lie. What people who advance this idea are trying to do is blame minorities in a sneaky and circuitous way for the meltdown. That's why Repubs were screaming about the Community Reinvestment Act ONLY AFTER the banks crashed, but while the banks were making a killing, they wanted the government to leave the banks alone. They said nothing about the CRA while the getting was good.

I know the game. Community Reinvestment Act is a code word for minorities, and more pointedly, African Americans.

Gimme a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. Business built this nations economy, which is still the biggest in the world.

Business didn't build this economy. That's bull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The two best posts on this thread, and they say it all. Thank you, guys. Politicians will just let you down. People who have been successful in business and know how to run a business can actually make for better government. What President Trump needs now, more than anything, is full cooperation and support from what's supposed to be a Republican-led Congress.
Yeah, right.

He had that support that you speak of, and he decided to poop all over it.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:08 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Given what's happening right now, I thought this was a fair question.

Fact is, I never understood why people believed that "we need a businessman in the White House." The notion is ridiculous on its face. The job of a President is a job for a politician, not an MBA. It's the highest political job in the world. Why would anyone believe that someone with no political experience is necessarily qualified for that job?

Moreover, given the culture of American business at Trump's level (the culture of avarice at all costs), what's so appealing to people about American Businessmen? We saw what happened in 2008-2009 when they nearly ran the country completely off the rails, and yet, people think that these are the people that should be running the country?

Trump is something of a real estate savant....he never once showed that he had knowledge of any other topic. Why? Because he doesn't know anything else. He's got enough money to fly around the world, but he's not worldly by any stretch. Our president should be a worldly man or woman since they'd be the most powerful politician on the planet.

Yet, I STILL hear people saying that we need a businessman in office.
nearly 100% of businessmen are political...you have to be to run a billion+ dollar company

the fact is money buys the presidency... no matter wheter your name is Kennedy, Johnson, bush, Clinton, Obama, or trump...maybe not your money, but money still buys it......you will NEVER see a poor president in todays society

trump is 10x smarter than hitlery....and that is why he won

she PROVED she cant run a country, when she showed she cant run a campaign...twice

Old 08-19-2017, 11:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nearly 100% of businessmen are political...you have to be to run a billion+ dollar company

the fact is money buys the presidency... no matter wheter your name is Kennedy, Johnson, bush, Clinton, Obama, or trump...maybe not your money, but money still buys it......you will NEVER see a poor president in todays society

trump is 10x smarter than hitlery....and that is why he won

she PROVED she cant run a country, when she showed she cant run a campaign...twice
Is that so?

So you're NOW gonna tell me that you didn't vote for Mitt Romney, right? He couldn't run a campaign either. You didn't vote for McCain either, right? He couldn't run a campaign either. After all, he lost.

But you DID vote for the both of them. You voted for Trump too. He's proving that he can't run a vegetable stand.

Your logic stinks. Get back to me when you're ready to make a sensible argument that won't waste my time.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:10 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
$20 trillion in debt, a failed war on poverty, some of the most expensive drugs in the world, too big to fail, lots of wars, etc etc etc.

That is what we got from decades of politician rule.

You call that a success?

As opposed to the clusterf*ck you have there NOW?? The US is going down the socioeconomic sh*tter, yet Sir Scrotumhead babbles on like a lobotomized bag lady, and butchers the Kings English on Twitter! You have some real kick ass leadership there America. Half the administration is gone, yet that Cheeto colored lump of dump in the White House makes Daffy Duck look like Winston Churchill in terms of leadership ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies