Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,172,017 times

Advertisements

Given what's happening right now, I thought this was a fair question.

Fact is, I never understood why people believed that "we need a businessman in the White House." The notion is ridiculous on its face. The job of a President is a job for a politician, not an MBA. It's the highest political job in the world. Why would anyone believe that someone with no political experience is necessarily qualified for that job?

Moreover, given the culture of American business at Trump's level (the culture of avarice at all costs), what's so appealing to people about American Businessmen? We saw what happened in 2008-2009 when they nearly ran the country completely off the rails, and yet, people think that these are the people that should be running the country?

Trump is something of a real estate savant....he never once showed that he had knowledge of any other topic. Why? Because he doesn't know anything else. He's got enough money to fly around the world, but he's not worldly by any stretch. Our president should be a worldly man or woman since they'd be the most powerful politician on the planet.

Yet, I STILL hear people saying that we need a businessman in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 01:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,923,243 times
Because we are around 20 trillion in debt and getting worse, our infrastructure continues to crumble, the economy is artificially being held up by the Fed... we needed a business man to save our economy and get things done (politicians cant, how many decades have we been promised the same things). Trump's executive order on environmental reviews was worth voting for him just on that alone in my opinion. Instead of 10+ years and millions of legal fees, development can happen in just two years and developers don't have to go around and around and around and around making the project so expensive, they back out.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,813,269 times
the problem isnt that trump is a businessman, but rather the problem is that he won an election when the people were told for two years that there was no way he could win, and that hillary was going to be president.

but remember that the president is the CEO of the country, since he runs the executive branch. and as such should have some business experience. he should have had to make a payroll, among other things.

personally i dont think trump is the one that should be in the oval office, i would have preferred someone like allan mullally, former CEO of ford and boeing. he turned those companies around, and could ahve done the same for the government as well. unfortunately he never ran for president.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:32 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,870,867 times
Wealth is created by businesses, workers, etc. Not government.

Also, doing more of the same and expecting different results is insanity. So it was time for a meaningful change, instead of electing professional nobodies like Hillary Clinton. And let's hope America isn't foolish enough to ever elect another "community organizer", whatever the hell that is. Professional bums/losers/parasites will never make this country great again.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,801,787 times
I can see the appeal to some of having a businessperson in the WH. IF that person also has studied history and politics, will admit their knowledge gaps, and will bring in expertise in their cabinet.

trump is 0 for 3.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:38 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,345,340 times
Why do we need an involuntary State to begin with?

Someone answers that and I'd be as giddy as a school girl.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:40 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,207 times
I would not be opposed to a businessman as President because the "politicians" of the past 16 years have truly effed up everything.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:47 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,269 times
You could ask the question about anything.

Why can't my mechanic fix my teeth? I mean, he fixes things, right?

That's how I feel about it. It's stupid to suggest that a business man is "what we need." That's not to say that a business man can't be president. But let's be clear about what happens there. It's a businessman turned politician, not a business man. If a businessman tries to run a country like a business, there's a problem. Anyone who believes that there should be a distinction between public and private affairs should understand that.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:47 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,317,985 times
History has shown that businessmen have a very poor track record as Presidents. Almost none of them are considered to be "successful" Presidents. It seems the skill set doesn't translate all that well.

Ken

Old 08-19-2017, 01:48 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,446,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Given what's happening right now, I thought this was a fair question.

Fact is, I never understood why people believed that "we need a businessman in the White House." The notion is ridiculous on its face. The job of a President is a job for a politician, not an MBA. It's the highest political job in the world. Why would anyone believe that someone with no political experience is necessarily qualified for that job?

Moreover, given the culture of American business at Trump's level (the culture of avarice at all costs), what's so appealing to people about American Businessmen? We saw what happened in 2008-2009 when they nearly ran the country completely off the rails, and yet, people think that these are the people that should be running the country?

Trump is something of a real estate savant....he never once showed that he had knowledge of any other topic. Why? Because he doesn't know anything else. He's got enough money to fly around the world, but he's not worldly by any stretch. Our president should be a worldly man or woman since they'd be the most powerful politician on the planet.

Yet, I STILL hear people saying that we need a businessman in office.
Government is not business.

People have embraced a myth, and it reflects a level of naiveté on their part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies