U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:35 PM

1,527 posts, read 626,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Lol, look how fast the "Blue Lives Matter" people turn on cops who do or say something they don't like.

I always knew they were full of ****.

They'll support cops through corruption and murdering unarmed people, but they draw the line in supporting an athlete in his legal and peaceful protest.

Lol
I think I can continue to support our LEOs and say their lives matter and that they should be free of assassination attempts against them without having to agree with every single one of their opinions in matters unrelated to their professional lives. Are all matters in your own life all-or-nothing views or decisions?

Mr Kaepernick has a right to protest or whatever he feels he is doing. I absolutely agree that these officers have a right to support him in that endeavor if they wish. I have a right to not watch him do it, especially if I am expected to pay for the privilege of having someone's politics forced down my throat when I go to a game to be entertained. I will continue to not watch football--not only for this matter but for other incidents which have occurred.

I don't care what anyone's politics are; whether I agree with them or not, promote them on your own time, not when I have paid to see a game or a play or whatever.

Last edited by Gusano; 08-20-2017 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM

20,243 posts, read 9,891,136 times
It's their right to support him, but I noticed they didn't do this while on the clock and in uniform, making them free to do whatever they damn well please.

When you represent an organization, and you do something while on the job that may impact them, it's a different story.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:45 PM

9,414 posts, read 4,529,719 times
Give him an NFL job. With a broom and mop he could clean out the locker room.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 PM

11,921 posts, read 5,662,817 times
Looks like the 2017-18 Football season is dead in the water.

The NAACP has announced a Nationwide Boycott of the NFL |NBC Atlanta - 8/19/17

"This is not a simple request. This is not a statement. This is a demand," said Gerald Griggs of the Atlanta NAACP.

"There will be no football in the state of Georgia if Colin Kaepernick is not on a training camp roster and given an opportunity to pursue his career," said Griggs.

This should go well.

This may shock a few folks, but Football is what we call a "Team Sport". This isn't discrimination or blackballing. It's trying to give your Team the best chance to win the big one. Grandstanders are well suited to Team Sports - they are more interested in their specific Agendas.

This is football, not Face The Nation!

Old 08-20-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It is about money. The politicization of entertainment (sports/NFL) has cost the NFL, and advertisers money. People turned it off because they didn't want to watch anti American controversy while trying to be entertained, and have a few hours of fun. NFL teams don't want Kaepernick stirring up more trouble, and controversy for them because they don't want to lose more money.

They are in business to earn a profit, and entertain people, not create political controversy, and alienate.

That's the bottom line. You can bet the team owner and Coach spoke to him about it and he took a stand. Respect. But the end result is nobody wants to touch him now (if that's the real reason he's not being picked up, and according to the talking heads, he's good enough where he should be playing).

Teams are boycotting him not only because they don't want to sign someone they can't control (and yes we're all controlled by management - like it or not) but to also send a message to their own players.

Boycotts are a great way to say, 'We're not putting up with this.'

Black people should know better than any of us how effective that is.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:54 PM

6,742 posts, read 4,106,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I think I can continue to support our LEOs and say their lives matter and that they should be free of assassination attempts against them without having to agree with every single one of their opinions in matters unrelated to their professional lives. Are all matters in your own life all-or-nothing views or decisions?

Mr Kaepernick has a right to protest or whatever he feels he is doing. These officers have a right to support him in that endeavor if they wish. I have a right to not watch him do it, especially if I am expected to pay for the privilege of having someone's politics forced down my throat when I go to a game to be entertained. I will continue to not watch football--not only for this matter but for other incidents which have occurred.

I don't care what anyone's politics are; whether I agree with them or not, promote them on your own time, not when I have paid to see a game or a play or whatever.
I think you missed the point.

Btw, nothing is being forced down your throat.

Players can and will continue to promote their politics during the platform that they choose, and they couldn't care less what you do or don't want to see. You're free to change the channel or mute the TV.

And they may face consequences from their team, ownership, etc., which I am okay with, as well.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:00 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,120,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yup.

Cops killing innocent people = Blue lives matter! Support the cops!

Cops supporting civil rights = What scum! Total garbage!
What is funny is that if there was say an O lineman or a quarterback who was "white rights" guy they'd be supporting his free speech and he would be a hero to the right.

Not to say that the left wouldn't be condemning this same guy but that is how ridiculous this has gotten.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
What is funny is that if there was say an O lineman or a quarterback who was "white rights" guy they'd be supporting his free speech and he would be a hero to the right.

Not to say that the left wouldn't be condemning this same guy but that is how ridiculous this has gotten.

Ain't that the truth! People have lost all ability to be objective. They have a knee jerk response that their side is right and the other is wrong - every time.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:24 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,552,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Looks like the 2017-18 Football season is dead in the water.

The NAACP has announced a Nationwide Boycott of the NFL |NBC Atlanta - 8/19/17

"This is not a simple request. This is not a statement. This is a demand," said Gerald Griggs of the Atlanta NAACP.

"There will be no football in the state of Georgia if Colin Kaepernick is not on a training camp roster and given an opportunity to pursue his career," said Griggs.

This should go well.

This may shock a few folks, but Football is what we call a "Team Sport". This isn't discrimination or blackballing. It's trying to give your Team the best chance to win the big one. Grandstanders are well suited to Team Sports - they are more interested in their specific Agendas.

This is football, not Face The Nation!
Personally I hope they do stage the worlds largest tailgate and keep people from entering mercedes benz stadium in Atlanta. The falcons are the only team that could make season interesting at all. lol

You know Alabama will win the college national title, patriots will win the nfl, golden state will win the nba, etc. Its meaningless. A few decent teams and tons of garbage teams. It has gotten so boring and predictable every year

When I see players give up their money and quit the nfl I will have respect for them and it will mean something, right now its just meaningless gestures like sitting on the bench during the national anthem.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Jza

234 posts, read 314,051 times
Imagine a group of white cops making a gesture in support of the white male fired from Google (someone who didn't suck at his job)? What's brave about what these cops are doing? Some people are so easily impressed I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or