U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:10 PM
 
4,213 posts, read 4,669,848 times
Reputation: 2834

Advertisements

There was a poll where something like half the people who voted for trump said there's nothing he can do for them to think negatively of him. That is crazy! That seems like a cult leader or king not a president anymore.

I'm not just blaming republicans it's both sides but we've come to the point in this country where democrats and republicans are so divided that if your side is in office you're afraid to critique that president because you feel that means your siding with the "enemy"

It's become so cultish and like sports rooting that it's embarrassing

People don't seem to have minds of their own anymore and want to be part of a group where they must blindly follow whatever that group does or thinks.

It's never been this bad and divided before and quite frankly it's ruining the country..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:12 PM
 
Location: SGV
24,675 posts, read 9,595,351 times
Reputation: 9691
Go team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Iowa, USA
6,554 posts, read 3,271,492 times
Reputation: 3799
I believe this is called the "personification of power."

Trump's definitely the most obvious example of this, though it exists on both sides. Bernie kind of represented a similar phenomenon. Maybe I'm biased, but Trump's still represents it much more obviously. A lot people believe he, one man, is here to save the country. That's not the president's job, and to suggest it is.... that's terrifying to anyone who believes separation of powers is important.

Indeed, political affiliation has become cultish. I've gone after the Republicans, so let's do it with the Democrats... you know, out of fairness. There seems to be a competition among Democrats over who can dislike Trump the most. I believe we call this 'virtue signaling.' You need to prove that you're sufficiently progressive, so you post things about how much you hate Nazis and Trump and all that.

It's a serious problem. In another thread about Chuck Schemer (Democrat and Senate Minority leader) agreeing with Trump on trade issues, I'd say half the comments were just bashing Democrats, despite a Democrat doing presumably what these people want Democrats to be doing.

Honestly, I don't think people can be easily described as liberal or conservative, or Republican or Democrat... not anymore. A growing number of people are anti-liberal or anti-conservative. They stand for nothing; only against. And that's a very bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:31 PM
 
4,213 posts, read 4,669,848 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I believe this is called the "personification of power."

Trump's definitely the most obvious example of this, though it exists on both sides. Bernie kind of represented a similar phenomenon. Maybe I'm biased, but Trump's still represents it much more obviously. A lot people believe he, one man, is here to save the country. That's not the president's job, and to suggest it is.... that's terrifying to anyone who believes separation of powers is important.

Indeed, political affiliation has become cultish. I've gone after the Republicans, so let's do it with the Democrats... you know, out of fairness. There seems to be a competition among Democrats over who can dislike Trump the most. I believe we call this 'virtue signaling.' You need to prove that you're sufficiently progressive, so you post things about how much you hate Nazis and Trump and all that.

It's a serious problem. In another thread about Chuck Schemer (Democrat and Senate Minority leader) agreeing with Trump on trade issues, I'd say half the comments were just bashing Democrats, despite a Democrat doing presumably what these people want Democrats to be doing.

Honestly, I don't think people can be easily described as liberal or conservative, or Republican or Democrat... not anymore. A growing number of people are anti-liberal or anti-conservative. They stand for nothing; only against. And that's a very bad thing.
I agree..I literally believe there's people who didn't want to knock nazis fully because liberals did and they hate liberals as much or more lol but like I said it works on both sides.

People literally will say something's fake or not true if it doesn't fit their agenda. We've become a nation of grown children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 12:43 PM
 
3,459 posts, read 2,491,046 times
Reputation: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I agree..I literally believe there's people who didn't want to knock nazis fully because liberals did and they hate liberals as much or more lol but like I said it works on both sides.

People literally will say something's fake or not true if it doesn't fit their agenda. We've become a nation of grown children

kind of like how lefties can't admit that they have a violence problem even though:

1) There was an assassination attempt against Donald Trump
2) A crazed Bernie supporter shot the majority whip and four others
3) Images of "AntiFa" people destroying propery and assaulting innocent people are now a common part of our daily existence
4) There were death threats against electors
5) Images of violence against Donald Trump and his family have become a norm, including an image of his Taliban-like beheading, and threats of rape against his wife by celebrities
6) Conservatives chased off of campuses, which are suppossed to be bastions fo free speech

And still, they can't even agree when the President gracioulsy says that there is a problem on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Gone
25,235 posts, read 14,014,262 times
Reputation: 5916
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
There was a poll where something like half the people who voted for trump said there's nothing he can do for them to think negatively of him. That is crazy! That seems like a cult leader or king not a president anymore.

I'm not just blaming republicans it's both sides but we've come to the point in this country where democrats and republicans are so divided that if your side is in office you're afraid to critique that president because you feel that means your siding with the "enemy"

It's become so cultish and like sports rooting that it's embarrassing

People don't seem to have minds of their own anymore and want to be part of a group where they must blindly follow whatever that group does or thinks.

It's never been this bad and divided before and quite frankly it's ruining the country..
And sadly most do not realize that they are just different sides of the same coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top