Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 12:56 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the thousands of posts so forgive me if it's been mentioned (but because there are thousands of posts you've forgotten if it has been!):

Dinesh D'Souza said on TV that the effort to wipe away Confederate monuments in the South is nothing less than an effort by the Democratic Party to mask its role in slavery, racism, and ethnic politics.

Good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 05:20 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Overthinking it. Simply its being pushed by a fringe and anyone that disagrees is the idiot that ran down that woman and is a Klansman Nazi. Even semi centrist media agrees. LOTS of groupthink going on ATM.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I haven't read the thousands of posts so forgive me if it's been mentioned (but because there are thousands of posts you've forgotten if it has been!):

Dinesh D'Souza said on TV that the effort to wipe away Confederate monuments in the South is nothing less than an effort by the Democratic Party to mask its role in slavery, racism, and ethnic politics.

Good point!
No, D'Souza'a point is idiocy. The alt-right/white supremacist movement is responsible for putting those statues in the forefront of the national dialog on race and discrimination. Their little foray into race baiting politics backfired as the history of those statues became clear that the statues main purpose was intimidation of the black community during the Jim Crow and civil rights era.

Trump's equivocation also made it more of an imperative to get those statues removed.

I will say that it is typical of the right to blame everyone but themselves for the consequences of their action.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:54 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Sounds like wishful thinking.

I don't like seeing the statues in parks and public squares because they honor people I don't consider worthy of admiration. It has nothing to do with wanting to deny history.

Republicans are very fond of using this tactic, but it's beyond silly. Neither party is the same as it was 150 years ago, 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:32 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
The Democrats have an ugly, ugly history they have been trying to deny and deflect but now they are trying to hide it.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:41 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Its part of a greater move to strip people of their individuality and distinctive identities. No more races, no more religions, no more ethnicity, no more citizenship to any specific country. No more genders, no more regional or cultural identity.
Just one mass population being controlled and organized to do whatever is wanted from them.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default D'Souza...

Quote:

Good point!

That fool again?

He offers up really dumb "talking points" that gullible hyperpartisans swallow whole.

Get a spoon.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:13 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:

Good point!

Of course, you as an intelligent adult know that to equate the 'Democrats' of the 1860s through 1960s with the current party is not really accurate.

Labels can be useful, on canned goods. For political purposes, they are more problematic.

It would, perhaps, be more accurate to say that the South has always been 'conservative' in nature. Back in the day, 'conservative' equaled 'Democrat'. However, that began to change in 1964 with President Johnson's signing of the Civil Rights Act. We all recall his statement upon signing: "We have lost the South for a generation". President Johnson, of course, was a Democrat.

Thus began the exodus of the Southern Conservatives (decidedly against the Civil Rights Act), from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party. It was significantly speeded up by several factors: a 'liberal' Democrat from Georgia winning the Presidency, Senator Phil Gramm (Democrat) resigning his Texas Senate seat and running for said seat as a Republican, and the Reagan Revolution, which included his reaching out to the Moral Majority (see: Jerry Falwell).

It would be the height of folly to argue that the South has 'changed its fundamental beliefs'. I, as a Texan, can tell you that it has not. Texas and the other Southern states have long (since the early 1800s) been 'conservative', and will be so in the foreseeable future. The South remains firmly in the Red column during presidential elections. It is these Southern conservatives that raised these Confederate statutes in the first place, and they oppose their removal today.

I read an interesting statement yesterday, I forget by whom. The writer noted that many like to say, to the black community, that 'slavery and the Jim Crow laws ended long ago. Quit using it as an excuse' for their current problems. True enough.

The writer then observed that the Civil War also ended a long time ago, and so we should quit looking back, and look forward. It was a good statement, which I wish I could quote accurately.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:17 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
The is but one reason the statues and monuments are coming down: right wing hate groups decided to turn them from historical monuments into totems of racism and intolerance. Angry and want to blame someone; blame yourselves.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Sounds like wishful thinking.

I don't like seeing the statues in parks and public squares because they honor people I don't consider worthy of admiration. It has nothing to do with wanting to deny history.

Republicans are very fond of using this tactic, but it's beyond silly. Neither party is the same as it was 150 years ago, 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago.
I feel the same way. Some people do not deserve to be honor. Dinesh D'Souza is pulling conspiracy theory crap. You can recognize history, as one should. Part of recognizing history is recognizing that some people do not deserve to be honored.

The Republican and Democratic parties are not the same today as they were 150 years ago. That tactic is pulled alot. It gets old. Granted, I don't trust either party that much these days. However, I do recognize that there have been alot of changes in both parties over the last 50 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies