Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2017, 09:36 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, I think the act was provocative. They knew the reaction they'd get, and I find it hard to believe high school girls did this on their own. But the students at HU didn't need to react as they did. It's just stupid on both sides. I know if a group of black kids came to a predominately white school wearing Obama t-shirts, nothing would have happened to them. Too bad people didn't just engage with them and ask why they were there doing that. Five years ago that would be the reaction. The nation is becoming a bunch of trolls trying to get a reaction. I blame social media.
I agree. The girls were probably trolls, but there was no reason for the students to react like that.

Just a little over a week after the national story of white supremacists rallying, partly in honor of Trump's presidency, so no doubt some of the black students are going to be on edge with people wearing that hat. It almost seems like a taunt.

However, you simply cannot react. You can't give the trolls what they want. And the threats of violence destroy any legitimate beef the students have.

But hey, at least one didn't get in their car and run these girls over like some people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
No, I think the act was provocative.
So what?

Words do not hurt. Not physically.

Its up to everyone to grow up and control their own emotions.

The best thing the HU girls could have done would have been to ignore the MAGA girls.

People - Grow Up!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
No, I think the act was provocative. They knew the reaction they'd get,.
If MAGA campaign hats political free speech are provocative and worthy of aggressive reaction, then what isn't?

I find foreigners, wearing muslim clothing and talking in foreign languages in my neighborhood provocative and illegals speaking Spanish loud .

Old 08-21-2017, 09:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I made it as clear as possible, you're just lost.
Fair enough. Maybe someone else will explain it to me.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:41 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
No, I think the act was provocative. They knew the reaction they'd get, and I find it hard to believe high school girls did this on their own. But the students at HU didn't need to react as they did. It's just stupid on both sides. I know if a group of black kids came to a predominately white school wearing Obama t-shirts, nothing would have happened to them. Too bad people didn't just engage with them and ask why they were there doing that. Five years ago that would be the reaction. The nation is becoming a bunch of trolls trying to get a reaction. I blame social media.
I agree with this. Blacks overwhelmingly voted for Hillary, and with Trumps recent rhetoric during Charlottesville whether it is right or wrong, but most blacks saw that as Trump supporting racists/white supremacists. So to many black people MAGA at this point in time is seen as racist or supporting racists. I don't believe Trump is racist but most black people (U.S and Abroad- except maybe Nigeria since we love America unconditionally) I know believe he actually is racist or supports racist. Trump supporters as they assure you don't care about this perception but it will definitely come to bite them if they decide to wear a MAGA hat in a predominantly black area in the U.S. (and to clarify No_Recess, by bite them, i mean by insults and treatment in public not necessarily violence).

Old 08-21-2017, 09:41 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If MAGA campaign hats political free speech are provocative and worthy of aggressive reaction, then what isn't?

I find foreigners, wearing muslim clothing and talking in foreign languages in my neighborhood provocative and illegals speaking Spanish loud .
How do you know they're illegals from them speaking Spanish?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If black kids wear Obama t-shirts to a white school, nothing will happen to them because those t-shirts are not racist and don't mean anything. Likewise, the hats those girls wore are not racist and don't mean anything.

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? We all just want to be pissed off and offended all the time. It's a shirt, people. A damn piece of fabric. You think it signals something? Then call them idiots behind their backs and move on.

And guess what? Remove the shirts and put them in Polo's and some black students might still be offended because the likelihood that white girls really want to go to an HBC isn't that great.

Nobody used the N word.
Nobody threatened anyone.
Nobody defaced or destroyed property.

If you think the slogan is racist, which I feel is an easy excuse, then at best they were naive and at worst they were classless and stupid. Be prepared to deal with classless and stupid, ladies, because that's the world in which we live.

It would have provided both sets of students with a great teaching moment had someone pulled all parties to the side and just talked.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:45 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

With all these posts, I wonder were you actually live. I live in the Houston area (largest ethnicity is Hispanic) and here Spanish all the time but 90% of people who speak it, especially anyone under the age of thirty can hold a conversation in English perfectly fine. Unless seeing or hearing another language triggers you so much or you live in Miami-Dade County or El Paso, Texas or Brownsville, Texas.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Fair enough. Maybe someone else will explain it to me.
It's apparently so provocative that if you wear that shirt in the hood you'll have your ass handed to you.

Violence over a shirt.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
How do you know they're illegals from them speaking Spanish?
They're obviously mostly illegals. I've been around legal Mexicans and these people aren't that. Let's put it this way. If they are the class of people we're giving immigrant visas to then that's a problem itself. You half way have a point. Even some of them that speak English I've known were illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies