U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2017, 06:17 AM

52 posts, read 4,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The only "tool to succeed" that teacher can provide children with, is a good ole textbook on a subject that he/she is teaching. But these textbooks are conspicuously absent in American public schools. As I have been informed in my son's elementary school - "we are trying to avoid them, we are trying to move away from the textbooks as much as possible, because we consider it to be outdated approach."
And without this *outdated approach" with textbooks, the whole process of teaching a child becomes highly subjective. It brings a big question - whether it's the teacher who is failing or the student. It becomes all about "he said, she said," basically.

P.S. But that's not a problem I see in OP video. What I see there, is a problem of a different nature all together. This was not a just an "angry punch" of the *frustrated student.* It was downright an attack, which tells a lot about that particular student.
And if that kid refuses to turn himself around, he will end up in jail or dead.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's not true at all.

A lot of "inner city" schools (some not in the inner cities) that's just not reality. Ferguson Middle School, for example, has about a 12% proficiency in math. If you go to some nice suburb like Rockwood (Chesterfield) it's more like 70%.

You can't just provide tools to people who have a 3rd grade level education and they'll magically pass a 7th grade level class. That's ridiculous. It's like taking a class full of normal 6th graders who are all proficient in math and ready to take algebra in the 9th grade and throwing them into a calculus class instead and then telling the calculus teacher that no less than 90% of them are required to pass. It's not possible. Of course, it's even worse as there's a whole lot of behavioral problems that aren't present with the normal group of 9th graders that are ready for 9th grade math but you've dropped in a course for above average 12th graders.
A lot has to do with IQ.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:31 AM

1,594 posts, read 299,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's not true at all.

A lot of "inner city" schools (some not in the inner cities) that's just not reality. Ferguson Middle School, for example, has about a 12% proficiency in math. If you go to some nice suburb like Rockwood (Chesterfield) it's more like 70%.

You can't just provide tools to people who have a 3rd grade level education and they'll magically pass a 7th grade level class. That's ridiculous. It's like taking a class full of normal 6th graders who are all proficient in math and ready to take algebra in the 9th grade and throwing them into a calculus class instead and then telling the calculus teacher that no less than 90% of them are required to pass. It's not possible. Of course, it's even worse as there's a whole lot of behavioral problems that aren't present with the normal group of 9th graders that are ready for 9th grade math but you've dropped in a course for above average 12th graders.
There's a lot of social promotion going on in these inner city schools.
Remember Fed $$$ are tied to each kid and having each kid pass and get promoted.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:39 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,251,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
On your second point: most kids should be able to pass a class. If they aren't, there's a good chance that the teacher isn't providing them with the tools to succeed, especially since schools can keep track of statistics and all of that.
As a current teacher I can honestly say that this statement is pure junk. I teach at a high school where if you turn in a paper/take a test and get every answer wrong (not blank mind you, just wrong) you still get 50% of the grade. You are allowed to retake tests/quizzes after seeing what you did wrong the first time and the retake is the exact same test/quiz. You are allowed to turn in late work, as long as it gets to the teacher before the grading period ends.

Despite all of this being handed to them on a silver platter (I mean, anyone should be able earn that last 10% right?) I still fail 25 to 30 percent of my students and I am lucky to get 3 A's in a class of 36.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
As a current teacher I can honestly say that this statement is pure junk. I teach at a high school where if you turn in a paper/take a test and get every answer wrong (not blank mind you, just wrong) you still get 50% of the grade. You are allowed to retake tests/quizzes after seeing what you did wrong the first time and the retake is the exact same test/quiz. You are allowed to turn in late work, as long as it gets to the teacher before the grading period ends.

Despite all of this being handed to them on a silver platter (I mean, anyone should be able earn that last 10% right?) I still fail 25 to 30 percent of my students and I am lucky to get 3 A's in a class of 36.
WOW no wonder the education system is failing our kids.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:03 PM

10,315 posts, read 3,529,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
A lot has to do with IQ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post

When the kids' mothers are zombied out on hard drugs and they are being "raised" if at all by older siblings often younger than 10, do you really think any homework will get done? Or that the kids will get adequate sleep?

When these unraised children get to their teens they are already reproducing. Charitably speaking there is no other recreation available to them and/or in which they're interested.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:19 PM

700 posts, read 379,427 times
Bring back corporal punishment.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:57 PM

41,632 posts, read 39,359,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
16-year-old MPS student arrested after punching teacher several times in the head

See the video. Why has the culture grown to the extent that people really believe they can beat a teacher to a pulp with impunity? Is this what people want for the police too; for the streets to become the Wild West, but with no Wyatt Earp? We need to allow teachers and police officers to control areas under their charge. I see nothing sensitive or appealing about that alleged "young man."And caught in the act? on video? Presumed innocent? Really?
This has always existed. And this is not just Milwaukee. This happens all the time. It's been happening over the past 30-40 years. And it is not about "the culture". It is about a specific subculture. A subculture of crazy. Considering that this was an inner city school in Milwaukee (and schools in that city are notoriously bad), this is that ghetto/hood rat subculture. A culture of violence and an "I don't care" mentality. Milwaukee has had issues with violence going back to the 1980s.

Any teenager who punches a teacher, even with arrest imminent, said teenager is just plain violent. Said person might murder someone. This is not a matter of believing that he/she could beat up a teacher with impunity. This 16 year old just didn't care. This is just a violent teenager who would probably do that to someone on the street.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Bring back corporal punishment.
I will go ahead and take the loss on this. No one gets corporal punishment more than African-Americans. And yet, a majority of murderers in the USA are African-American. African-American men are filling up the prisons. Suicide rates among African-American youths are on the rise: https://rollingout.com/2017/01/26/su...h-hit-hardest/

While much of this is out of the inner cities and ghettos(more African-Americans DON'T live in such places), the main idea is that lack of corporal punishment isn't the problem.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't know how bad the whole violence issue is in Milwaukee, but recently I came across this video, regarding Chicago.
And Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxGk...VA1Q9eBq1yS-a-
It's bad in Milwaukee. Gangs on Milwaukee's North Side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgCgmDnwhk&t=1599s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2FySDNKqPc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yX8k5V7Pe8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies