Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 02:14 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why not? Is it not a method that dedicated students use to improve their grades? </sarcasm>
I guess I'm not feeling the humor in this particular case.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM

The kid that punched the teacher is likely far gone. That student is violent enough to go after a teacher, I suspect said student will assault a police officer, or anyone else. It wouldn't surprise me to find said person in and out of prison a few times.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 PM

34,744 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The kid that punched the teacher is likely far gone. That student is violent enough to go after a teacher, I suspect said student will assault a police officer, or anyone else. It wouldn't surprise me to find said person in and out of prison a few times.
I agree with you there and agree that it generally isn't funny. Some things hurt so much you have to laugh instead of cry.

What I would hope, for some of them, is that an adult or a peer takes them under their wing and somehow teaches them the opportunities they are squandering.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I agree with you there and agree that it generally isn't funny. Some things hurt so much you have to laugh instead of cry.

What I would hope, for some of them, is that an adult or a peer takes them under their wing and somehow teaches them the opportunities they are squandering.
It is kind of hard to laugh, especially with stuff like this. As for the kids, they need better role models. The parents have certainly failed in that aspect. I've often wondered the result of those bad parents being stripped of custody and the kids adopted by other families. The parents have failed, and alot of those kids do not know anything other than the ghetto. Alot of these kids don't know what opportunities exist because they aren't being taught about them. All they know is what is in the ghetto. Alot of those kids are more concerned about just making it to the next day. In addition to bad parents, a bad environment. Drugs, violence everywhere. Young men being murdered. Milwaukee has a high murder rate.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:30 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,322,959 times
Is there any context that explains what happened before the video?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:33 PM

34,744 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Another stabbing yesterday in New Rochelle High School (link). The fatal stabbing of Valaree Schwab last week. And now this. Does anyone come to school to learn?

Old 01-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Another stabbing yesterday in New Rochelle High School (link). The fatal stabbing of Valaree Schwab last week. And now this. Does anyone come to school to learn?
Yes, many kids go to school to learn. Unfortunately, there are many that are only in school because the law says so. Many of the kids doing these violent crimes are not prepared to survive out in the adult world. The kids with a history of violence, we can look to the parents. Violent people often raise violent kids.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:17 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,212,234 times
One of our students just returned to school after being in jail for shooting someone. He did so on the direction of one of his family members. As we've seen this week in California, not all parents want the best for their children. Some want to control them, some want to kill them, and some want their children to do their killing for them. Kids don't pick the family they are born into, with sometimes tragic results. And for those that say the children can choose to reject their families and their anti-social values, I ask, "At what age is a child supposed to know that his whole experience is f^¢ked up and turn away from everything he has ever known to pursue a good education and get the hell out of the ghetto?"

Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 PM

128 posts, read 120,405 times
Quote:
16-year-old MPS student arrested after punching teacher several times in the head

See the video. Why has the culture grown to the extent that people really believe they can beat a teacher to a pulp with impunity? Is this what people want for the police too; for the streets to become the Wild West, but with no Wyatt Earp? We need to allow teachers and police officers to control areas under their charge. I see nothing sensitive or appealing about that alleged "young man."And caught in the act? on video? Presumed innocent? Really?
Black. Of course.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:56 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,922,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
On your second point: most kids should be able to pass a class. If they aren't, there's a good chance that the teacher isn't providing them with the tools to succeed, especially since schools can keep track of statistics and all of that.
By the time the kids are in high school, they all should already HAVE the tools. And it's the parents' job, not the teachers', to make sure they enter school on point with the basics already learned and the expectations understood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.