Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Did he lie? He sure as hell isnt trying to unite us like a good President would do.
Yes, he did lie. Either Trump outright lied to his supporters or Trump did not do his due diligence as POTUS preparing to address his country.

Fact-checking President Donald Trump

Old 08-23-2017, 09:21 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,638,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There are all kinds of experiences for black men.

And the gay black men experience is pretty harsh IMO.

I agree that it is not "starting a civil war" and believe that that is a huge exaggeration, but Trump makes me shake my head. He is such a poor leader of the nation. Makes me think that his only leaderships skills include him telling his supporters what they want to hear and stuff they already agree with him about. A true leader, especially an executive of a nation should keep the entire public in mind and not just a smidgeon of the populace or his own ego. It made no sense for him to reference that rally. I guess though his best skills are propping himself. He spoke nearly 30 minutes about his speech on Charlottesville...

Why is he having a speech about a speech lol.
Turn on the news the past week. The news is STILL talking about it. Has been for over a week.

That Charlottesville thing was such a small event that the media blew WAY out of proportion. Trump didn't even say anything bad.

Hate to defend Trump, but, CNN and MSNBC have been nothing but propaganda for quite a while now.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,434,339 times
An apology to Donald Trump, from the 'fake news' media - Chicago Tribune

Referring to controversial comments he made in the wake of a deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., Trump said: "The words were perfect."
He even quoted his own perfect words, cleverly omitting the part where he blamed the Charlottesville tragedy on "many sides" rather than just on the Nazi side, creating the controversy in the first place.

President Trump:

As a fake news media member in good standing, I would like to sincerely apologize for forcing you to hold a campaign rally eight months into your first term as president.

I'm sorry that in the course of that rally I forced you to misquote yourself and to devote one reference to Heather Heyer, the woman killed during the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, versus an inordinate number of references to the journalists who cover you and your administration.

I definitely should not have made you fail to mention the 10 American sailors who died or are missing from the Navy destroyer USS John S. McCain after it collided with an oil tanker Monday.

That was callous of me, and I am deeply sorry

I also showed poor judgment in making you seem almost annoyed that you had to properly denounce the various hate groups that marched in Charlottesville chanting, "Jews will not replace us!"...

Old 08-23-2017, 09:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Turn on the news the past week. The news is STILL talking about it. Has been for over a week.

That Charlottesville thing was such a small event that the media blew WAY out of proportion. Trump didn't even say anything bad.

Hate to defend Trump, but, CNN and MSNBC have been nothing but propaganda for quite a while now.
All news outlets are propagandized.

He needs to not give them more ammunition and actually do something worthwhile from a policy standpoint.

And I don't think Charlottesville was a small event. If the woman hadn't been killed and 19 other people injured, I'd agree it was small and insignificant, but for those things to have happened made it significant. And the news wouldn't be talking about it as much today if Trump didn't give a speech about his speech for nearly 30 minutes yesterday lol.

He really is bringing the media attention to himself. It does make me really consider that he is doing it purposefully like a lot of the liberals I know believe he is doing in order to distract the media from other things going on within his administration.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,076,341 times
Quote:

He needs to not give them more ammunition and actually do something worthwhile from a policy standpoint.

And I don't think Charlottesville was a small event. If the woman hadn't been killed and 19 other people injured, I'd agree it was small and insignificant, but for those things to have happened made it significant. And the news wouldn't be talking about it as much today if Trump didn't give a speech about his speech for nearly 30 minutes yesterday lol.

He really is bringing the media attention to himself. It does make me really consider that he is doing it purposefully like a lot of the liberals I know believe he is doing in order to distract the media from other things going on within his administration.
it is small in the fact that liberals are acting like White supremacists and Nazis are lurking around every corner trying to take over, when the truth is this was an isolated incident.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:35 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,638,754 times
Quote:

It was 200 white supremacists that the media blew up to get people down there. Hence the violence and the riots.

My thing is, let them do their thing. The protesting does nothing but cause violence/death.

I agree that he's going overboard on the media. It's getting old. But also the attack Trump in the media 24/7 is SUPER old too. Sites that I used to go onto for entertainment, I can't anymore, because it's always about anti-Trump. (BTW, that is no coincidence)

Old 08-23-2017, 09:36 AM

27,425 posts, read 28,498,647 times
I like John Lennon better than Don Lemon.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:41 AM

27,534 posts, read 16,018,410 times
What would one expect lemon to say, that Trump has been treated unfairly?

Old 08-23-2017, 09:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
It was 200 white supremacists that the media blew up to get people down there. Hence the violence and the riots.

My thing is, let them do their thing. The protesting does nothing but cause violence/death.

I agree that he's going overboard on the media. It's getting old. But also the attack Trump in the media 24/7 is SUPER old too. Sites that I used to go onto for entertainment, I can't anymore, because it's always about anti-Trump. (BTW, that is no coincidence)
I agree sites are now too much about Trump. But as someone who knows a bit about the media (I unfortunately used to have to interact with them on issues related to my job via PR) I know they will just pick up and go on and on about any phrase, event, or idea that they believe will garner them better ratings. Racism is always an attention getter. So Trump continously trying to back track his speeches on the subject of Charlottesville and white supremacists killing someone, is going to keep those comments in the news.

As a president, IMO he should be better than the media. He should let things go and respectfully decline to discuss those topics again when they come up. I mostly feel bad for him because I honestly don't think that he knows what he is doing and I think he is in over his head and cannot stand being criticized and didn't realize that politics/public office is 24/7 scrutiny. Unlike my liberal friends (and I don't mean this as a down in general on him) I just don't think he's smart enough to purposefully continue to bring up, what would be "old news" and making it "new news" again. I think he cannot help it and has some mental issues. So I feel bad for him for that as I consider mental issues to be difficult things to deal with.

On protesting, there are always counter protestors to white supremacist rallies. Even ones that don't make the news. And the one in Charlottesville was heavily advertised by the organizers themselves via social media. People can pick up on "news" via social media themselves today and everyone can be a reporter or journalist in that sense in spreading news. I don't think the media was all that involved in that protest until AirBnB did their black out of the event. I even had a couple FB friends of mine speaking about the event on FB before the AirBnB thing happened (the guy who killed the woman lived in my area).

ETA: 200 white supremacists in a rally actually are a lot. There usually aren't that many. When I lived in Atlanta there was a white supremacist rally in 2014. Again it was about the removal of a statue. There weren't more than 50 white supremacists. The police also did an excellent job of keeping counter protestors away from the racists. IMO that is the main issue that occurred in Charlottesville - the lack of police control on the part of the city. Here's a short video of the 2014 KKK rally in Atlanta. Towards the end you will see that there are many more counter protestors versus KKK members. They are across the street from the KKK members behind a barricade.

https://youtu.be/bwG6FVExYLk

Last edited by residinghere2007; 08-23-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 10:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Did he lie? He sure as hell isnt trying to unite us like a good President would do.
You mean like the last President? Gotta go back a few admins to find a uniter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.