Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:25 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

NY subway tiles have a crisscross and they believe it looks like the confederate flag. The tiles are to be altered because someone thought they looked like a Confederate flag. Anything that has a crisscross will now have to be altered.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...e-flag-concern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 06:28 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times
Funny how nobody noticed or cared for decades.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Funny how nobody noticed or cared for decades.
All of a sudden it is all racist.. yet it was put there as depicting crossroads .

Old 08-23-2017, 06:56 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
You have to admit it does resemble the confederate flag. It doesn't matter what the original intentions are any more.

My own county courthouse was built in 1911, and the tilework on the floor has an interlocking Greek key design for a border. At the corners of the border, the tile layers used a swastika to keep the interlocked design going, continuing the design as it took a 90º turn, and back then, especially out here in the west, the swastika was seen as a good luck symbol that was thought to be native American in origin.

It was used widely on apparel and on cowboy gear like spurs, bridles, blankets, etc.

My Grandmother had a swastika brooch, made of gold with red garnet insets that she was given as a graduation present in 1915.
While she never wore it after the Nazis took over in Germany, she kept it in a jewelry box all her life.

So designs do change their meanings.

The county painted in the white tiles on the swastikas with black paint to make the corners solid black looking long ago, but I can still remember them as being original in the 1950s when I was a kid; even after the war where most of our young men fought the Nazis, they recognized the courthouse tile was just a design.

But over the years, as new generations came up, things changed. The people in the county wanted them covered, so they were. Without defacing the old tilework permanently. From time to time, the maintenance crew has to apply a new coat of enamel.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You have to admit it does resemble the confederate flag. It doesn't matter what the original intentions are any more.

My own county courthouse was built in 1911, and the tilework on the floor has an interlocking Greek key design for a border. At the corners of the border, the tile layers used a swastika to keep the interlocked design going, continuing the design as it took a 90º turn, and back then, especially out here in the west, the swastika was seen as a good luck symbol that was thought to be native American in origin.

It was used widely on apparel and on cowboy gear like spurs, bridles, blankets, etc.

My Grandmother had a swastika brooch, made of gold with red garnet insets that she was given as a graduation present in 1915.
While she never wore it after the Nazis took over in Germany, she kept it in a jewelry box all her life.

So designs do change their meanings.

The county painted in the white tiles on the swastikas with black paint to make the corners solid black looking long ago, but I can still remember them as being original in the 1950s when I was a kid; even after the war where most of our young men fought the Nazis, they recognized the courthouse tile was just a design.

But over the years, as new generations came up, things changed. The people in the county wanted them covered, so they were. Without defacing the old tilework permanently. From time to time, the maintenance crew has to apply a new coat of enamel.
The original crisscross was from Scottish flag. White and blue design. Anyone flying a Scottish flag will be thought of as a racist.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
I wonder how many white guys got off the subway after a hard day at work, saw the tiles, and then remembered they hate black people?

4,000-6,000 per day would be my guess.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 PM

21,126 posts, read 19,707,707 times
The design comes from the x that the roads Broadway and 7th Avenue make at Times Square. I demand that Times Square be torn down!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:23 PM

The game tic tac toe is racist. It has crisscrosses of an X. Oh oh . The letter X is racist. We need a new design for X.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:27 PM

21,126 posts, read 19,707,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The game tic tac toe is racist. It has crisscrosses of an X. Oh oh . The letter X is racist. We need a new design for X.
Malcolm X was racist.

(he was)

Old 08-24-2017, 12:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
We are running out of basic geometric shapes!

Everything is racist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies