Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 12:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If it were me, I'd get a financial planner, accountant, and legal advisor lined up before giving my two weeks notice and immediately beginning to apply to social work schools. I wouldn't tell a soul, and would likely purchase a small house outright somewhere else right out the gate.

How sad is the state of things that the only way I could justify the expense of becoming a social worker is if I won the lottery?
just remember that if you do hit it big in the lottery, that the lawyer, financial planner, and accountant are ones that are used to dealing with rich people. the temptation is much lower that way, and to them its no big deal that they have a rich client, so they are also much more likely to maintain your privacy instead of blabbing to the community at large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Don't be jealous all you critics, she is a lucky cat!!!
i am in now way jealous of her fortune. but i AM pointing out that she moved too quickly here. she needed to line up a support crew around her, people that are used to dealing with rich people so they will tend to not go around blabbing that she won the lottery and was their client.

she also needed to have a plan up front before claiming the money. there are ways, even in states where you have to do it publicly, to maintain an air of anonymity, such as claiming the money for your trust fund, instead of you claiming the money. the nice thing about trust funds is that it is much harder to sue you for any money, since you technically dont have any money, the trust fund does. and while you control the trust fund, people cant sue the trust fund. right now if someone has been holding a grudge against her for what ever reason, she can be sued now before she puts the money away, and the mere filing of that lawsuit tends to freeze the effort to put the money away until the suit is settled, one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
With 758 million, a lot of problems can be solved. She can move anywhere, live anywhere, and it can happen NOW. She could buy 1,000 acres, build her own town and hire her own security force. She can instantly build a buffer between herself and anyone she does not want to see. In effect, she can pretty much do anything she pleases.

So I don't see 'coming out' immediately as any kind of major problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
$758M will cover a lot of bad mistakes, let's not worry too much about her I think she will survive.
yes that money will buy a lot of security, but it comes at a huge cost. better to have your ducks in a row before claiming the money, so that when you do claim it, you can fend off having to defend yourself against the lawsuits that are bound to flow. once the money is in a proper trust fund, it is insulated from the vultures looking for a payday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times
Moved too quickly?

I disagree, only because I'm sometimes a pessimistic realist, and I can die from a car crash before I claim my winnings, so I'd want to make it official asap.

chit happens.
Wait a year to claim? Anything can happen to you or your ticket in the meantime

Old 08-25-2017, 12:36 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Can we all just admit we're super jelly and move on?

Old 08-25-2017, 12:41 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
OK pundits.
It's day two now, and what downside has Mavis Wanczyk actually encountered?

Old 08-25-2017, 12:45 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
AND she said she quit her job BEFORE evening collecting the money.
She doesn't look like the sharpest nail in the toolbox.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:46 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
If she keeps this up she will turn out like most lottery winners who end up going broke within a few years or are killed for their money.
Jack Whittaker is not Most lottery winners. For all the ones publicized there are many who managed quite well.
We don't know where Mavis will end up, very little is known yet.
She certainly will regret her hasty action based, apparently, on the fear of being cheated out of the ticket.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You keep your nails in your toolbox?
Strange.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You keep your nails in your toolbox?
Strange.
Sure, in the clear box they come in. Along with my hammer.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
But, she is the richest nail, and all the other nails are going to get pounded on the head.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
But, she is the richest nail, and all the other nails are going to get pounded on the head.
Bahahahaha! Good one! +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies