Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2017, 09:56 AM

88,770 posts, read 44,594,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Tell me a single time a conservative, didn't use the word "dindu" to refer to black people in a negative light, and I'll give you $100 (figuratively of course). It is a racial epithet
It's their dialect. Why shouldn't we all respect that? Are you implying we should all "whitewash" (so to speak) their cultural dialect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 AM

526 posts, read 384,957 times
Is this the same person that said whites should give their homes to black people?

Old 08-25-2017, 10:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's their dialect. Why shouldn't we all respect that? Are you implying we should all "whitewash" (so to speak) their cultural dialect?
Don't play dumb. It would be no different, and you would probably criticize it, if one of the black posters started a thread about white people and another black poster linked a youtube video of some goober and then wrote, "Well this is the reason! Ah ain't gonna hahd the prahd I have in mah suthuhn roots bah takin' down mah Cuhnfedarut flaaayaaggg."

Or talking about inbreeding among southern white people.

Or posting that you met a guy from (insert backwoods town here) and saying, 'I'm a dental expert and I knew where he was from as soon as I saw his tooth.'

Or writing about hicks living in trailer parks.

This innocent routine doesn't work.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Is this the same person that said whites should give their homes to black people?
No.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Don't play dumb.
So... Everyone should "whitewash" (so to speak) their speech, and that wouldn't make anyone racist for disrespecting their culture/dialect?

Old 08-25-2017, 10:20 AM

21,422 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman Jason View Post
I hadn't considered the psychological aspect. I know better, too. I'm from the South and we learned in that same Sociology class that a lot of poor blacks in the South live with a condition called 'Learned Helplessness' that has been passed down to them over the generations from when their ancestors were slaves.

The issues must be related.
Anyone who has met people from Nigeria know that they are brilliant people, without the soft bigotry of low expectations imposed on many poor people here. That's why I hate these exercises in white privilege I see where it shows how hard they have to struggle. What's the point of that but to reinforce it? I saw a black guy in college saying he works hard, but he knows because he's black he will probably only make it to middle management if that. And he will because he believes it to be true. It's sad.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 AM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
It is sad that we are such a divided nation.

One can theorize that perhaps the rhetoric fueled in these political echo chambers feeds upon itself, leading to more and more extremism and zealotry for one's own party's platform and resentment for the other party's.

The other party, would then counter with its own inflated demands and the tug-of-war would continue to build.

I don't think posters have any bad intentions, but let's face it, race is always a sensitive subject. We are all in this mess together.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... Everyone should "whitewash" (so to speak) their speech, and that wouldn't make anyone racist for disrespecting their culture/dialect?
No. Everyone should at least have some modicum of respect for those who are less fortunate.

That I grew up in a household with two college-educated parents (with advanced degrees), doesn't mean I can look down my nose at, or ridicule and mock, those who were born to uneducated parents in an impoverished area.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No. Everyone should at least have some modicum of respect for those who are less fortunate.
And how does that not include respecting their dialect/culture by refusing to "whitewash" (so to speak) what they've said?

Old 08-25-2017, 10:42 AM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I was waiting for one of these to show up. Instead of acknowledging that there is a problem, you try your hardest find other people doing bad things, as if that somehow erases all of the facts.
Its no different than any person denying there is a problem in their larger group. Groups always protect their own, could be race, ethnic group, country, or even the block you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies