Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:28 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
It's the closest place to donate things to me, they were in need of baby stuff which I had gotten a ton of (and went and got more) and the line for people who needed food and supplies was wrapped around the building.

I don't like Lakewood and I know far more about that church than the people in this thread defending them, but I know when to put that aside when people are in need.
Good person.

I'm glad to hear that people are now getting to use those donations.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:29 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not really. There's no way a tropical storm has more destructive force than a Cat 4 hurricane. Look at what happened to New Orleans after Cat 3 Katrina.
What s your intent here? To declare Sandy destruction amount does not matter if the hurricane came ashore barely one? Houston's damage was not on wind by far..... it was water.

Houston wasn't hit with the force of a 4 so should we only say western areas it came ashore with the highest winds...... get the Federal aid? Are you saying too that Sandy not a 4 was NOT WORTHY OF THE AID? Should have been voted down?

How about the Louisiana/Texas coast now as it comes ashore NOT a hurricane? Now worthy of the Federal aid levels?

Sandy still did great damage. Heck..... Agnes in 1972 was no hurricane when the mid-Atlantic states flooded. River towns and creek areas bore the damage in whole towns inundated.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Why is the hypocrisy of the Loony Left even a story? It's just who they are.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
What the National Hurricane Center does is issue watches and warnings, as well as diagrams indicating the possible paths a developing hurricane may take; the most likely path is in the center of the 'cone'.

This article from August 23rd is good:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/u...f.html?mcubz=0

So, yes, the Center does not actually say 'it is a 90 percent chance that the storm will hit Corpus Christie', for instance, but it will indicate the most likely path in the cone, which was pretty accurate this time.

Indeed, on Thursday the forecast map looked like the scribbling of a child, showing that Harvey was expected to hit the Texas coastline somewhere between Brownsville and Houston, and then showing that the storm would stall in-land, then back up, gain strength in the Gulf, go back ashore and hit Houston, and then head north again.

Pretty accurate. Now, on Friday they were estimating that when Harvey hit the Gulf again (after its first landfall), that it would reform significantly over open water, and then move west and hit Houston. This did not really happen. Harvey did return to the Gulf and began tracking north, but its eye-wall never fully left the shoreline, hence it did not strengthen as projected, and it did not turn and hit Houston directly.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:31 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
How anyone could have known this much water would fall is beyond me. You look at the data, run some models, make your best guess.

Stuff happens.

From what I read, we will have more such flooding hurricane/tropical storms as the oceans warm up.

Sounds like people in Houston are doing the best they can.

Loved reading about how Jim McIngvale opened his two Gallery Furniture stores as shelters.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/30/us/gal...ter/index.html

Old 08-30-2017, 11:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Here is the Complete Story Behind the Attacks on Joel Osteen

How many people did you want to risk drowning?
Comes down to believing the this media outlet or the people who were there live streaming.....

i guess there was a miracle.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There are plenty on this board. Eager to bash Trump for the most minor offenses yet have no problem with things like Hilary's illegal email server, Benghazi or Obamacare.
Really? I've seen plenty of Democrats (liberals, progressives, moderates) criticizing these things on this forum and outside of this forum.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
the Lord will provide.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post

That a pretty pointless stat unless it mentions the amount of money received by the federal governmet from texas. I just looked up this stat and all I found was a rather stupid article blasting rick perry by the far left mother jones magazine stating texas received all of $3.45 billion to Texas during 8 years of rick perrys rule, that is just a little over 1% of tax money Texas citizens and corporation pay in revenue to the federal government each year. The writer didnt even mention the enormous amount of revenue the federal government gets from Texas

Personally I pay taxes in texas and I dont want to see large disaster relief without fundamental changes in zoning cities to prevent alot of this flooding and damage, texas is the only state with a completely independent power grid, it shouldnt have to rely on the federal government disaster relief and keep more if its money at home to deal with hurricanes etc

Chart starting in 1978 to present, Texas is in second place with over $6 Trillion, Louisiana is in first with $19T. City of Houston and Harris County alone have received almost $2T in federal dollars. I do believe Texas has received the most federal aide in the last decade but it's not broken out.

https://bsa.nfipstat.fema.gov/reports/1040.htm

Old 08-30-2017, 11:37 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
" As Texas requests federal aid for Hurricane Harvey, let us remember Texan politicians who voted against Sandy aid "

Be my guest. If any proposed relief legislation is deemed unsatisfactory, elected officials are free to vote against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies