Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:30 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Texas has always been a political joke. Texans always talk big but their economic fate ebbs and flows on oil. Without that they would be irrelevant
Eff the politicians do it(vote for the Aid) becuase it's the right thing to do,we take care of our own!

Old 08-30-2017, 03:31 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
OK - I'll play
Tell us how long it will take to get that Iceberg into the Gulf of Mexico and then how long it would take to get an Iceberg into the Atlantic to protect the East Coast. You will need to consider the size and speed of what you think is an appropriate towing vessel.

I'll get you started with the Iceberg Finder Map

Iceberg Towing has been a concept for almost 200 years - mostly for fresh water to desert regions.

The Many Failures and Few Successes of Zany Iceberg Towing Schemes |The Atlantic - 2011

Bonus Points for you because you didn't mention "Climate Change/Global Warming"
Followed the link. And found"

"Prince Faisal's own company, Iceberg Transport International, is considering a plan to find a 100 million-ton iceberg off Antarctica,* wrap it in sailcloth and plastic to slow its melting, and then use powerful tugboats to tow it to the Arabian peninsula, where it would supply enormous quantities of drinking water. The journey would take about eight months and the project would cost around $100 million, according to estimates."

Have a look at Windy.com

Notice wind goes mostly North from the Larsen Shelf.

Winds tracks along the West Coast of Africa.

Then at the same point hurricanes are born, winds had to the West.

The bonus of towing along this route is melting along the way would cool the same region where the really big typhoons are born.

It will be interesting to see how big hurricane Irma gets.

Regarding my visits to Houston, just one around 1998. You might be able to pinpoint the date because a hotel was changing the direction of it's front entrance owing to "facing the wrong way"?

Corpus Christi for an oil refinery sales call.

Recall staying at a place built elevated on South Padre Island.

Not sure what your point is about me seeing Houston. It is entirely possible to move and lift homes off ground. Of course it is a lot easier to think about these things when you build them.

Regarding cost. What is the potential cost to Houston of failing to replace these dams?

Regarding towing an ice berg.

I am a sailor. I would attach kite sails. These would allow me to steer the ice berg in the wind currents to overcome sea currents.

For $100mm I would give it a go.

I heard Houstonites give that amount of money yearly for some dude to live in a $10.5 mm mansion and praise Jesus.

At least Houstonites would get free shaved ice if I brought them an iceberg.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:33 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Again, this poll shows there are 10% misinformed slugs who claim to have heart and tolerant, when it suits them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If I'm in need of help, I won't be calling the state of Texas - but I'm sure people from that state (plus other states) would help. Just as I (a dirty "liberal" from CA) will help the people in need right now in Texas and Louisiana.
Just as I (a racist mutt Libertarian from CA) would help as well.

I'm really sick of the class divisions people are clinging to.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:35 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You nailed it. There are two kinds of liberals. The Christians who do for others and fight for the poor and weak out of love and a sense of doing the right thing.

Then there are the liberals who have their roots in atheist, communist teachings who use the poor and weak to stick it to the man. They are motivated by hatred and vindictiveness.

What an absolute pile of ignorant garbage. I'm an liberal atheist and I'm one of the ones sitting here in favour of helping Texas in anyway it needs help.
I'm surrounded by atheists and not one of them is anything like you describe. They are the polar opposite.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most Texans would prefer not to take a penny from the Federal Govt. Let's see how much private money and charity is raised.

Texans are the first to volunteer, the first to give and the first to ask "What can I do for you".

You know what state has the most members of the armed forces? Who was the first to show up after Katrina? One of the first search teams at the World Trade Center? Texas.

Texans fight a lot of your wars and give their lives. Who you gonna call when you need help?
That's a lie. Texans LOVE taking federal money.

Some of us haven't forgotten the Great Texas Space Shuttle Robbery when Texans filed claims against the government if their was any debris on their property. Millions were passed out.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Actually I am all heart, thanks.

I only have intolerance for intolerant hypocrites.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:43 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Never happened. Fake history.
No - it is not"Fake News". Check for yourself. How Senators voted is an open record and Cruz DID vote against federal aid to New Jersey during Hurricane Sandy. Cruz has always been a lying scumbag. That being so, the people of Texas should not be punished because of Cruz. Many Texans despise Cruz as I do.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:44 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Do we pay federal taxes? Yes. Should we get help when we need it? Yes. Do we need it now? Hell yes. See? I cleared up this already simple concept for you, OP.
Should we pay less taxes to the feds and more to the state so the state can be in charge? Yes. Is local control better? Hell Yes
Again.
One more time in hopes you understand and don't deflect. Each state would be responsible and not have to rely on other states to get their money back. Removing the extra layer of government saves time and money.

See? I cleared up this already simple concept for you,

Old 08-30-2017, 03:44 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Actually I am all heart, thanks.

I only have intolerance for intolerant hypocrites.
Apologies. You are responding to me I assume? I realised I misread your post so I deleted my response.
Tried to rep as an apology but too soon I'm afraid.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:45 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
If you are from arizona both your state senators Mcain and Flake voted no on the sandy bill and half your state representatives voted no
There you have it.

However, do you hear me making excuses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies