Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You don't have a state tax. If you don't pay it to the Feds, you won't have rainy day disaster funds.
They have been stealing money from their citizens through property tax.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM

78,398 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Texas is a "recipient" state in terms of federal money; NJ is a "donor" state. Texas is hording 10 billion built in part by its recipient status. Yet Texas fought federal Sandy aid because of "pork." If pork is added to the Harvey bill, will Cruz and his buddies vote against it?
There are no such things as recipient or donor states unless you assume the state is getting money for doing absolutely nothing.

If monies are paid to a state for things that are shared goods for example like military bases etc. then those monies paid need to be removed before any determination of a state being recipient or donor can be made.

There are other gross errors in the assertion but I figure one torpedo is all it's going to take to sink that turd-boat of an argument.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:28 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
He did not meet with one actual flood survivor. Nor did he show any empathy or sympathy for survivors and people who lost their lives---he did not even mention them. Anyone with something other than stones in their brain and heart would realize that it would look inappropriate to wear 6-inch stilettos to go on a trip to view a catastrophic natural disaster. Not the time to make a fashion statement.
Trump is probably thinking it is a good thing they didn't see him eating chocolate cake with two scoops of ice cream on the plane ride to and from his mansion in Florida.

Oh wait, does he live in that dump in DC?

Last edited by pbmaise; 08-30-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
<>Regarding towing an ice berg.
I am a sailor. I would attach kite sails. These would allow me to steer the ice berg in the wind currents to overcome sea currents.
For $100mm I would give it a go.
<>
What happens if it all melts?
Reminds me of an old joke about competitive bidding on the Chunnel:
German company bids 30 billion euros.
British company bids 20 billion euros
Dutch company bids 10 billion euros.
Two brothers from (your country here) bid 100mm so they get called in.
Q: How are you going to do that for 100 mm euros?
A: My brother goes over the England, digs down then digs towards France. I go over to France, dig down, dig towards England. Easy deal.
Q: What happens if you don't meet?
A: For 100mm you got two tunnels!

So for $100mm you got a big water balloon.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:31 PM

30,159 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Houston had 1.7 inches of rain for the entire month of April. If these pictures were supposedly taken in April after less than 2 inches of rain for the whole month, one can only imagine the challenges they face after several FEET of rain.
Well they got it cleaned up in less than a day so they say. I guess miracles do happen.

Or it was never flooded.

The photos have a date stamp of April. Could have been before April but not after.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:32 PM

78,398 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You don't have a state tax. If you don't pay it to the Feds, you won't have rainy day disaster funds.
At least this is a topic we can all not have to argue about.

Anyone that wants can google the Texas state budget revenue and see where their revenue comes from other than state income tax.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
<>6-inch stilettos<>
That's a silly exaggeration.
"Are you elle m int, O P ?"

Old 08-30-2017, 04:35 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
The Right seem really keen on using the word Hate in their posts.

The Left doesn't hate the Right. We especially don't hate the people of Texas. Even the GOP representatives from that decadent place called the East Coast have already spoken up for funding relief to Texas.

Now wasn't I just reading something in the press about the entire GOP delegation from Texas stone walling relief for victims of Sandy?

Hmmm?

Who hates whom?

Hmmm?

Old 08-30-2017, 04:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The key to being a revisionist is to make sure that your claims aren't easily proven wrong. You seem to have missed that little tidbit. What Cruz led the fight against was massive pork in the aid bill, not the help for victims of Sandy. Easily checked, had you bothered to do so.

But hey, your statement sounds soooo much better that the truth when you are trying to bash the other side of the aisle. Props on the creative writing. Too bad it's complete fiction.
Exactly , All these threads are filled with misinformation. people just read a headline and they are off to the races without having a clue about the sandy bill and who voted for what.

The $17 billion to help those left homeless in the wake of the storm that was immediately necessary was approved. The Senate had already passed, with Cruz's and Cornyn's approval, $9.7 billion in Federal Emergency Management Agency aid, right after Sandy hit. The Senate approved the package immediately by voice vote. Cornyn and Cruz didn't object at all.

It was pork like the $2 million earmarked to repair leaky Smithsonian roofs in D.C., the $15 million to restore NASA launch pads in Florida, and the $44.5 million to buy the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration new airplanes was perhaps important but it was not urgent, fisheries, various car and stuff for all types of federal agencies,over 336 million for amtrak spending,over 500 million for weather forecasting , millions for head start, on and on.

Alot of politicians from all over the country had questions about stuff in the bill the second bill. not just in Texas. Non emergency stuff should go through the standard appropriations process instead of being rushed through under the cover of emergency funding. That doesn't make these politicians hypocrites.

"Cruz and Cornyn won't be guilty of hypocrisy unless they use Hurricane Harvey as political cover to sneak through non-emergency funding without proper oversight."

The media is totally misrepresenting where Ted Cruz and John Cornyn were on Hurricane Sandy funding

Old 08-30-2017, 04:41 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Plenty of giving and caring people in all states in this country. I would never claim that Texans aren't resourceful and a giving bunch, though.

Military Active-Duty Personnel, Civilians by State
This Map Shows Which States Enlist the Most Young People in the U.S. Military
One pf the points that hasn't been raised here is that military service is a more prominent tradition among Southerners. There are some factors here that probably wouldn't be easy to pin down, but I suspect that the desperate economic conditions in the post-Civil War South could be cited.

And it might be noted as well that ten of the highest-participating states were part of the confederacy, and six of the lowest-participating are components of Barry, Hill and Bill's "Blue Wall".

And it's also worth noting that the end of the quasi-segregated armed forces in World Wr II set the stage for advancement for many African Americans (I can recall that most of the Army medical personnel who participated in my own draft physical, in 1972, and in 95+% Wilkes-Barre, PA, were AA.) That step also helped turn the key to jobs in the police forces, public utilities, and similar higher-paying. more-visible occupations.

But you'll never hear this acknowledged by BLM and the SJW crowd.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-30-2017 at 04:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies