Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 06:08 PM

16,871 posts, read 10,523,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I disagree. We all pay Federal income taxes equally, we should all receive equal Federal help when needed.

Politics is just politics. A lot of stupid stuff gets said by politicians for political reasons.

That shouldn't stop us from doing the right thing.
Well, we don't really pay taxes equally. Higher earners typically pay more taxes. Higher earners in states with a high cost of living like NJ are taxed the same as lower COL states like Texas. So we actually pay more of our relative income to support states like Texas than the people earning the same amount in Texas pay. But people like Ted Cruz think we don't deserve federal disaster aid if the bill has "pork" in it. Again, I'm waiting to see if he supports a Harvey aid bill if it contains non- Harvey spending.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:16 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,784,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Still on about this?

So far we have 18 casualties, and they were awful. If we had tried to evacuate before the storm it would probably be 1800 or more casualties. You really don't know the scale of this storm or the unpredictability of where it would flood before it hits. And you definitely don't understand mass exodus of cars from a city unless you live in Houston, where we experienced it a few years ago during the Hurricane Rita evacuation. I don't know a single person in Houston that thinks we should have had evacuation orders.

You want to evacuate a city this large, you better have at least a week to do it and even then it would be bad.
No, my figure is between 200 and 300 thousand.

I think Houston highways can easily safely move this number of people in 4 days notice to higher ground. Don't you?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:16 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,283,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I have mostly looked at the press reports especially historical reviews of the number of homes damaged.

Yes thousands of homes are damaged,
Yes roads get flooded.
Yes you have to get out of Dodge early.

Point?

Is your point these people should be left there in one story homes flooded to the top?

When I see a hurricane, well in my case typhoon, I carefully plot it out, predict where and when it will arrive and decide where to escape of need be.

I had three full days to prepare for Yolanda and moved out to a school on high ground before it struck.

I have to answer to wives and children of my crew members.

Not at all. I just thought your post was very callous and lacked any prospective of how wide-spread and unusual this disaster really is.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:19 PM

56,986 posts, read 25,952,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
What is God's name does this mean?
I think the point was that storms don't cause much damage compared to Cat 4 hurricanes, problem is that it not true in many cases. The damage caused by Harvey was not mainly due to the hurricane force winds.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:21 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,784,452 times
Okay finally caught up!

Time for my post on the subject so many really want to talk about.

High heeled shoes: When are they appropriate?

Answer: Paris and gala balls Yes! However, anywhere else consider most shoes sold with six inch heels are sizes 9-14.

Think about it.

Last edited by pbmaise; 08-30-2017 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,957,202 times
How soon people forget. Here's the pork money from the Sandy bill put in by Democrats to get it passed (only half the bill was actually for Sandy relief):

"Consider just a handful of the goodies contained in the final legislation:

$150 million for Alaska fisheries (Hurricane Sandy was on the east coast of the US; Alaska is the country’s western most tip);
$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C. (a city largely unaffected by Hurricane Sandy);
$8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments (at the time of the Sandy supplemental, these agencies already had 620,000 cars between them);
$1.1 million to repair national cemeteries (because why not?);
$821 million for the Army Corps of Engineers to dredge waterways with no relation to Hurricane Sandy (the Corps never likes to waste a disaster);
$10 million for FBI salaries and expenses (it seemed like a good idea);
$118 million for AMTRAK ($86 million to be used on non-Sandy related Northeast corridor upgrades)."

Will Congress exploit Hurricane Harvey to pass pork-barrel spending? | TheHill

The Sandy bill came up during a lame-duck session, and Dems packed it with pork to get "reluctant" senators to vote for it.

The House broke the bill down, got it passed, which then passed by overwhelming support. The House had to be the adult in the room to get the bill passed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ndy/608982001/

Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,470,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
How soon people forget. Here's the pork money from the Sandy bill put in by Democrats to get it passed:

$150 million for Alaska fisheries (Hurricane Sandy was on the east coast of the US; Alaska is the country’s western most tip);
$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C. (a city largely unaffected by Hurricane Sandy);
$8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments (at the time of the Sandy supplemental, these agencies already had 620,000 cars between them);
$821 million for the Army Corps of Engineers to dredge waterways with no relation to Hurricane Sandy (the Corps never likes to waste a disaster);
$118 million for AMTRAK ($86 million to be used on non-Sandy related Northeast corridor upgrades)."

The Sandy bill came up during a lame-duck session, and Dems packed it with pork to get "reluctant" senators to vote for it.

The House broke the bill down, got it passed, which then passed by overwhelming support. The House had to be the adult in the room to get the bill passed.

Again. Almost all of that is disaster relief for incidents that were declared federal disaster emergencies

For instance the Alaska fishery allocation. That was declared a federal disaster the year before but they never received funds. Why? Well how many electoral votes is Alaska worth. If the same thing occurred say in NY or Texas the funds would be there.

The whole pork laden narrative is utter fiction.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I think the point was that storms don't cause much damage compared to Cat 4 hurricanes, problem is that it not true in many cases. The damage caused by Harvey was not mainly due to the hurricane force winds.
This is correct. Storm surge and flooding from the stalled storm are the biggest contributors to damage and loss.

Some of the most costly storms share a similarity there.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,101,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Did the people of texas ( not the politicians) help fund federal coffers? Yes they did. They are entitled to their money back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What part of Texans paying into the system and it's their money don't you understand?

Get rid of FEMA and for the most part let states handle their costs for emergency relief.
Would you say the same about California if there was a major earthquake there?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,316,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
How soon people forget. Here's the pork money from the Sandy bill put in by Democrats to get it passed:

People are just misled by the msm and really have no clue on who voted for what or in some cases even who their actual representatives are. They just read a headline or a rachel maddow quick little piece and they are off to the races without having a clue about the sandy bill and who voted for what.

The $17 billion to help those left homeless in the wake of the storm that was immediately necessary was approved. The Senate had already passed, with Cruz's and Cornyn's approval, $9.7 billion in Federal Emergency Management Agency aid, right after Sandy hit. The Senate approved the package immediately by voice vote. Cornyn and Cruz didn't object at all.

Alot of politicians from all over the country had questions about stuff in the second bill. not just in Texas. Non emergency stuff should go through the standard appropriations process instead of being rushed through under the cover of emergency funding. That doesn't make all these national politicians hypocrites for asking what was in the bill.

Cruz and Cornyn won't be guilty of hypocrisy unless they use Hurricane Harvey as political cover to sneak through non-emergency funding without proper oversight.

The media is totally misrepresenting where Ted Cruz and John Cornyn were on Hurricane Sandy funding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies