Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:11 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

The Colonial pipeline which carries refined oil products to New York and the northeast has been shut down indefinitely though the hope is to get some products back online by the end of the weekend. This is going to hit the northeast really, really hard if it continues.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There were 10 deputies that went and 8 were released. All had eye/lung irritation. This plant looks to have done all they could to protect from such an event happening including having 3 redundant power systems that all failed when 6 feet of water hit the plant.

The chemicals will burn off when they degrade and the smoke is reportedly an "irritant" and "noxious" that's all anyone knows right now.
But I'm sure there are class action lawsuits being written by lawyers in other states as we speak, before ANY real evidence of anything is out.

You know, some of these reporters are so full of crap they should be flushed back to college TV stations...
All the reporters I've seen who are covering this chemical plant have explained about the three power systems that failed because of the unprecedented water. I also saw one interview quoting two chemical experts who said the plant could have added a neutralizing agent to canisters that blow when the 3rd system failed. So it remains to be seen if they truly did do all they could. Who knows, maybe the neutralizing agent is not something easily obtained, given the conditions of the roads if it can't be kept onsite.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why are there so many good, loving people at the bottom and so few at the top?
Kinda makes you wonder what sort of people we elevate...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
No one gives a **** about your horribly thought-out, short-sighted, irrelevant opinion. Of course, you couldn't answer any of the above questions and obviously don't understand the logistics and how much planning that would've taken in such a short amount of time, especially given what happened with Rita, so you are the last person who should be calling anyone stupid.

Signed,
Every Houstonian
There's going to be a whole bunch of blame tossed around, lots of finger pointing,yelling and screaming will get worse as the days stretch out into weeks.
These mass disaster events are all learning experiences in my opinion. Katrina was the model of absolutely what NOT to do, things response wise got better when Sandy hit and things are better so far with this event. I fully expect there'll be lessons learned from this disaster that'll be applied should another one hit.

The one thing I think people need to keep remembering is "who the heck ever really believed that over fifty inches of rain would hit one spot all at once" and "where has this ever happened before that they could draw experience from?"

Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
When have people said that Muslims are bad people?
You've been on this board since 2012?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
What "myth" would that be? That officials have said EXACTLY what I wrote in the past? I never claimed it was correct or anything else, just that those were reasons given in other areas so point your angst elsewhere...
The myth that the Houston area could be evacuated.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:21 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Osteen vs. the Mosques: Evangelical Christians and Muslims both profess to do charitable works as a core of their beliefs. The difference is that Muslims actually do it.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
All the reporters I've seen who are covering this chemical plant have explained about the three power systems that failed because of the unprecedented water. I also saw one interview quoting two chemical experts who said the plant could have added a neutralizing agent to canisters that blow when the 3rd system failed. So it remains to be seen if they truly did do all they could. Who knows, maybe the neutralizing agent is not something easily obtained, given the conditions of the roads if it can't be kept onsite.
There's going to be lots of "what if's" and they could've usually by people who are sitting in some office somewhere with no real experience.
I would think that they did everything they could readily do given what they knew at the time and what they could guess that was coming as evidenced by the redundant power supplies. I highly doubt they wanted these tanks to degrade any more than anyone else or expected the amount of water to be there just like everyone else.
Sometimes sh$t just happens...

Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Why is this even a news story?

Because "oh look, Muslims help people too!"?

When have people said that Muslims are bad people? Are we supposed to be impressed?
uhhh. is this your first day here?

Old 08-31-2017, 09:34 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Careful, you don't want Anti-Faaaa (the progressive/liberal thought enforcement squad) mad at you...
Yeah, "you shut up or else". They can go f themselves and shove their little warnings straight up their backside.

Quote:
I think one of the fears was "what if we evacuate and nothing happens", what would the public say/do then? The other fear is if they are wrong that people won't listen the next time.
I've heard these reasons given in other floods/hurricane events...
That's exactly why I think he didn't evacuate. Too worried about his own image than the people of Houston. Like I wrote in another post, the mayor stupidly stated that the floods were a result of a storm, not a result of the hurricane. The reason that he said that was because Houston didn't suffer wind damage like other places, (Rockport, for example), therefore, because Houston suffered no wind damage from Harvey, Houston wasn't affected by Harvey.

How the hell anyone can stand behind someone as dumb as that I'll never understand.

Houston floods when it rains. Houston floods without hurricanes. Houston floods all the time and people die all the time because of it. It's not an unknown thing that Houston floods when there's rain. A hurricane is coming. It's going to bring a lot of rain. Meteorologists warn that it could bring disastrous flooding. Governor of TX says, "You should probably go ahead and evacuate". Somehow he knows that it can be done. Mayor says, "Naaawwww, it's just a rainmaker, no big deal, stay at home. Trust me."

Bra. Vo.

The worst he would have got if nothing happened was some grumbling about being away from home for a few days.

People keep screeching about 6 million people, (now some claiming 11 million) when Houston has 2.3 million. People keep screeching about displacing 6 million when you wouldn't evacuate the entire city. People keep screeching about Rita.

This article right here reveals how incompetent that mayor is:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ity-evacuated/

He is pointing at anyone and anything else but himself. He says:

*Short notice: BS! He had an entire week.
*Not sure which direction it will go: NO ONE does, it's all projections, but you still f-en evacuate.
*Conflicting reports: No. The governor and NWS were pretty damn clear about "additional catastrophic, unprecedented and life threatening flooding".
*Can't put 2.3 million on the road: YOU DON'T HAVE TO, idiot! The very fact that he even said that shows his grotesque incompetence.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/tr...ndward-islands

On August 17th, it was TS Harvey. Considering where it was, as a mayor of any city along the Gulf and FL shores, I would be watching very closely and making contingent plans, having meetings with certain people on what to do should that storm come towards us.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/23/trop...-capacity.html

On August 23rd, it was stated it would, more than likely, be heading right towards Houston. At that time, I'd be putting evacuation orders in place and get started on the plans that were made in the 6 days before.

Hurricane Harvey called 'grave risk' ahead of landfall in Texas | Fox News

On August 24th, I would have continued with evacuations of low lying areas and ensuring that people were either leaving or going to a shelter on higher ground that I had already designated in my planning that began on August 17th when the TS formed and the route projected was towards the Gulf.

Another poster on here already outlined how the evacuation would have been done in an orderly fashion. I would only add that there's also a daily train from Houston to Dallas that they could have put people on after making an agreement with Dallas for shelter in that week of preparation I had starting on August 17th.

It would not have been "6 million people" screaming in to the streets, because it would have been organized, and it would have been done in stages. There wouldn't have been any panic because most people don't believe anything is going to happen. I learned that when I lived in Miami and those idiots would wait until the night before to go panicking in to the stores and clearing everything out, sitting in long lines waiting to get gas for their generators and cars, getting in to fist fights over it, not preparing at all...and they are known for getting hurricanes.

NO, there would not have been panic had it been planned and organized in advance and evacuations started on the 23rd when it didn't seem like much at that time.

So here's what the mayor is saying in that article: "I'm too stupid to do my job, therefore, everyone just stay in their homes and whatever happens, happens. I don't want you all looking at me angry if you're sitting in traffic for a few hours one week before the hurricane makes landfall and it doesn't even hit Houston."

Doesn't matter what the same 2 butthurt people want to say, the fact is, that mayor is a useless pos. I don't write for them, I don't answer to them, and I won't stop saying it just because that particular reality makes them uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies