Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Mr.and Mrs. Pence far outshone FATHEAD and his goldigger Ice Queen! Trump doesn't even have the human capacity to act in like manner. Trump only appears in public for himself......no one else!
There's medication for TDS, especially SEVERE cases...

Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
That would NEVER happen, because that disgusting NARCCISST CREEP, doesn't have that much HUMANITY!
Do you feel better now that you've gotten your insult fix in? I wonder if people who feel the need to constantly spew nonsense and hate realize how they look to others who are not also consumed by TDS?
At some point all this vitriol and venom becomes repetitive, just like with the overuse of the word "racist" people are starting to roll their eyes, turn a deaf ear and walk away shaking their heads...

Old 09-02-2017, 08:30 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The insult is voting against and bad-mouthing federal programs to aid people in times of disaster and then expecting those same programs to be there when disaster strikes you. That is what the cartoon was depicting.
Exactly.

Nor sure where the misunderstanding came from, but then I'm not the one mucking out debris and tearing out sheet rock.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:36 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
On another note, Trump has asked Congress for a $7.9 billion down payment toward Harvey relief and recovery efforts.

Hurricane Katrina, 2005, cost taxpayers $110 billion.

Trump asks for $7.9 billion down payment for Harvey relief - ABC News

Old 09-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Can anyone here picture Trump doing any actual manual, physical labor? Does anyone here think he's actually done a second of it in his entire life? He wouldn't have a clue how to drag a branch across a yard or clear storm debris. It's way, way, way outside of his skill set.

For that matter, so is showing true empathy.

He's never done either of those things and wouldn't know how to if his life depended on it. And in both those areas, his VP far outshines him.
I find the stunning amount of hypocrisy and ignorance hilarious. Let's look back at the hero of the left Obama and what he did from youth to adult shall we?

Smoking dope,doing other drugs,drinking like a fish (all self admitted) and then becoming a "community organizer" and past that? He's NEVER done a lick of manual labor in his life except maybe paint protest signs and in fact has never done much outside of living off the government teat.

He never created ANYTHING,never ran anything,never had to make payroll,budget or figure out large tax issues. Basically, he is a great orator with a pretty face who was a puppet that had big money backing that scammed his way into the White House.

So, tell me again about who's qualified to do what again?
The reality is we've quit electing the most qualified many,many years ago...

Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I find the stunning amount of hypocrisy and ignorance hilarious. Let's look back at the hero of the left Obama and what he did from youth to adult shall we?
<>
So, tell me again about who's qualified to do what again?
The reality is we've quit electing the most qualified many,many years ago...
You sound like me 10 years ago. Not that it did us any good.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
On another note, Trump has asked Congress for a $7.9 billion down payment toward Harvey relief and recovery efforts.

Hurricane Katrina, 2005, cost taxpayers $110 billion.

Trump asks for $7.9 billion down payment for Harvey relief - ABC News
Did you notice what shoes FLOTUS was wearing when they took off for Texas today?

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
While volunteers are wonderful, surely you aren't suggesting that people are not looking to the federal government to bail them out of this disaster?

Thousands were saved by the Coast Guard, National Guard, fire fighters, law enforcement officers...

Hundreds of thousand have already signed up for FEMA benefits.

Those same folks who were clamoring about the federal government getting out of their business are now clamoring for the federal government to rescue them.
Just to clarify - Most firefighters, law enforcement officers, and most first responders are not federal employees.

That being said, I'm not knocking federal aid and anyone supplying that aid (and considering the amount and percentage of federal income taxes my husband and I pay, I sure would hope we'd get some of that in return if we lived in that area - we sure didn't see any of it during Hurricane Ike). In fact, here's a fact sheet (for those interested in facts) about the federal footprint in the Houston area:
https://www.fema.gov/news-release/20...-and-louisiana
Hurricane Harvey's Aftermath: The Rescue Efforts, By The Numbers : The Two-Way : NPR

As of 8-28:

The Houston police had rescued at least half of the people calling for help in Houston. In Houston alone that was over 2000 people as of 8-28. OOps, no, make that over 3000.
Harvey's waters rise as thousands are rescued - CNN

FEMA had deployed about 1100 search and rescue personnel and rescued around 2500 people.

3000 Texas National Guard personnel were on the ground, with an additional 9000 on the way. When state national guard members are on active duty, they are paid via state funds.
Quote:
State Active Duty

All Guardsmen work for the Governor of the State or Territory when they are not federalized. That is why we are called the Militia and trace our existence to the Constitution of these United States. Therefore, if the Governor needs help from his Militia, he calls out the Guard of the State. Doing so, he must also pay those salaries and benefits of those he calls up. As he now is responsible for those salaries and has the command and control of those forces, this is called State Active Duty (SAD).
Understanding Your Pay and Benefits in the National Guard - AmeriForce Media

The US Coast Guard has deployed 8 helicopters and rescued about 100 people via air. They have rescued about 3000 people total.

The "Cajun Navy" has sent over 1500 people and at least 763 boats to the Houston area. This figure does not include the myriad of other volunteer groups and individuals showing up with boats, jet skis, canoes, anything that floats.
As Harvey moves east, a &apos;Cajun Navy&apos; of volunteers descends on Port Arthur to rescue people - LA Times
Civilians and ‘Cajun Navy’ bring their own boats to rescue Harvey victims | WGN-TV

Private businesses have donated over $141 million dollars so far:
Businesses donate over $141 million to Harvey relief efforts - Aug. 30, 2017

These celebrities have donated many millions of dollars combined:
From Sandra Bullock to Leonardo DiCaprio, a look at stars&apos; Harvey donations - Chicago Tribune

Michael Dell (Texas billionaire) pledged $36 million.

There is simply no telling what the figure is when it comes to private charitable giving from "regular folks." I know that my husband and I have given a figure that I won't specify but I'll say that it's more than Joe Biden has given in any given year EVER as reported on his tax returns (he's averaged about $369 a year for years now).

This is a cool site that breaks down the percentage of funds to direct aid via charities. Wow, Samaritan's Purse - you rock.
Best charities for Hurricane Harvey - Business Insider

The infamous Sheila Jackson Lee (D) has called for a record breaking $150 billion in federal aid for Texas, so we'll see.

Meanwhile, for some perspective:
Quote:
In the half dozen storms that caused at least $1 billion in damages immediately before Hurricane Katrina, the federal government contributed funds to cover only 17% of estimated damages in federal aid, on average. In storms including Katrina and afterward, federal spending averaged 62% of estimated damages, peaking at 72% of Katrina's damages and 80% of Sandy's damages.
Harvey recovery: What past federal hurricane aid tells us - CNNPolitics

Hmmmmm...

Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
You sound like me 10 years ago. Not that it did us any good.
So true. Haters are going to hate no matter what the situation is because they cannot see past their hate.

The only President (current and past) that I could envision physically helping would be Jimmy Carter.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:48 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Can anyone here picture Trump doing any actual manual, physical labor? Does anyone here think he's actually done a second of it in his entire life<>
I thought the same about Jimmie Carter. Then in later life he became a crackerjack good carpenter and inspired others to work with Habitat For Humanity.
"You move, you grow"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies