Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
When I was doing in-home security we never went into a house of an Irish or Italian family that didn't have Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and JFK shrines on proper display.

Ahhh, yes, my childhood home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 05:07 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The purpose for sending children to Catholic school is twofold. First, in cities like Chicago where the public school system is abysmal, private schools are the only other option. Second, and generally the primary reason, is to give children a good foundation as a Catholic.

Start watering that down and people aren't going to be in such a big hurry to shell out $7 - 10K a year to send one child there.
The tuition (per child, for the 2017-2018 school year) at San Domenico School (the school the thread is about):

$ 29,850.00 - Kindergarten
$ 30,450.00 - Grades 1 - 3
$ 31,425.00 - Grades 4 - 5
$ 33,425.00 - Grades 6 - 8
$ 42,825.00 - Grades 9 - 12 day
$ 58,350.00 - Grades 9 - 12 boarding

If the diocese provides any supplement, I imagine it would go to Marin Catholic and not to San Domenico.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The tuition (per child, for the 2017-2018 school year) at San Domenico School (the school the thread is about):

$ 29,850.00 - Kindergarten
$ 30,450.00 - Grades 1 - 3
$ 31,425.00 - Grades 4 - 5
$ 33,425.00 - Grades 6 - 8
$ 42,825.00 - Grades 9 - 12 day
$ 58,350.00 - Grades 9 - 12 boarding

If the diocese provides any supplement, I imagine it would go to Marin Catholic and not to San Domenico.

WOW. Usually the archdiocese does subsidize Catholic schools, but if the subsidy isn't enough to keep the place running because enrollment keeps dropping, then schools have no choice other than closing.

Some schools maintain independence though by not taking any subsidy and then they have a little more freedom to do what they want.

To answer another question - non-Catholics have sent their kids to Catholic school since I was in Catholic high school back in the '70's. They do it for the education or discipline. The Jewish kids and non-Catholics went to mass with us, but didn't have to kneel, etc. They didn't have to pray but were asked to bow their heads in classrooms. They took World Religion but not classes geared towards Catholicism.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What is sad is where you people get your news...
This sort of post attacking sources is always worthless. Do you have evidence that the report is inaccurate? Are you able to articulate any opinion on the topic?

Old 08-25-2017, 07:10 PM

487 posts, read 545,181 times
I cannot believe that they removed these statutes. If they are offensive to the parents sending their children there, then they should not go there. I would think the Catholic families attending the school would find it offensive that they are removing them. My non-Jewish neighbor sent her child to a Jewish nursery school. It was a Judaic program. Her daughter was exposed to learning about the Jewish faith. That was fine, they chose that program for other reasons but were ok with her learning about their religion. Perhaps if we did more of this we would understand each other better and would be more tolerant. All of our religions are intertwined in some way.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
I cannot believe that they removed these statutes. If they are offensive to the parents sending their children there, then they should not go there. I would think the Catholic families attending the school would find it offensive that they are removing them. My non-Jewish neighbor sent her child to a Jewish nursery school. It was a Judaic program. Her daughter was exposed to learning about the Jewish faith. That was fine, they chose that program for other reasons but were ok with her learning about their religion. Perhaps if we did more of this we would understand each other better and would be more tolerant. All of our religions are intertwined in some way.
My town is so mixed we have an interfaith service just before Thanksgiving every year. They rotate who does the bulk of it, the Pastor, the Priest, the Minister or the Rabbi and the others act as the supporting team with assigned roles. They used to also rotate where it was held - but it's gotten so popular they moved it to the high school my kids attended (4,000+ students) where it's held in the theater.

It's quite moving. If you live in a mixed area and don't do anything like this - suggest it to someone.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:22 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
My goodness....I can't imagine things happening all over the country and world "making me sad". I'm sure anyone is free to watch Mel Gibson movies over and over again if they enjoy the symbolism of real nails and blood.

All of you better watch out! As we speak....lots of people in lots of places are doing things that will "make you sad".

What is the "politics" of this? Isn't it as simple as "parents can put their children in another school?".

Personally, I'll stay with the Founders:

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.
-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

BTW, only about 1/3 of Americans attend weekly religious services...and that includes ALL religions. The downward chart is continuing - meaning that today's youth are LESS likely to pray to statues.

Personally - if I were in most any business, I'd keep it toned down a bit. Actually, I have personal experience with this. I sold a very successful business to an employee of mine. He did great for about a decade just based on the goodwill and customers we handed over to him. But, during that time, he was "born again" and decided to have a large department dedicated to "gifts of faith" and also to display open Bibles in the window and the showroom.

He's virtually out of business. Every time I talk to anyone from the local community they tell me how they (and others) have been turned off.
YOU know what "the politics of this" are---it's not a difficult question. The politics are a) political correctness and b) the cult of Diversity and multiculturalism.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:23 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What is sad is where you people get your news...

Washington Times.... Started by Unification Church founder Sun Myung Moon. In 2002 Rev. Moon outdid himself by proclaiming he established the Times "in response to heaven's direction" and that "The Washington Times will become the instrument in spreading the truth about God to the world."

The paper promotes all sorts of wingnut idiocies curiosities, including various pseudosciences (creationism, anti-environmentalism, global warming denial, false claims about abortion and abstinence-only sex education) and bigotry (homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, anti-secularism).

The Washington Times - RationalWiki
But what do you say about the incident itself??

Old 08-25-2017, 07:25 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Because they might offend children of other faiths? It is a Catholic school. If you go to a Catholic school you should expect to learn about the Catholic faith. If this is a problem then don't send your child to Catholic school.
That is an exercise in logic.
Logic is not allowed in discussions today.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:28 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
A Catholic school should not have to apologize for what it believes, if people from other faiths want to send thier child there, then expect to see Catholic art.

I couldn't have said it better!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies