Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 09:25 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
American Christians seem very different to Christians elsewhere.
Really? How so? Can you be more specific? Which "American Christians?" There are a lot of "movements" that claim to be Christian that are not.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What was your point, then? Jesus was trying to help prostitutes.

Who is being "helped" when you have a cult full of supposedly Christian people supporting a "leader" who does everything contrary to Jesus' teachings?
My point was that a Christian does not need to expect perfection from anyone, including a president. They can vote for him despite his flaws.

I think it should be noted that Christianity has little to do with Trump. Most of his cult isn't devoted to Christianity. There are Christians who did vote for him; some of them may be hypocrites, but I'm unwilling to say they all are.

And I've made clear my thoughts on the "Christian fundamentalists" who mysteriously always need your money and always support the GOP candidate, regardless of policy specifics. I have no reason to think that had another GOP candidate been nominated and won that these so called Christian leaders would treat that president any different than Trump. It's the (R) that follows his name; nothing else. There's nothing Christian about that, and they are indeed hypocrites.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Evangelicals supported Trump for one reason, and one reason only. They believe he will appoint conservative judges and justices and that eventually Roe v Wade will be overturned by these judges.

And if the agent of this change is an accused rapist who brags about the power to sexually assault women against their will, well, then certain moral compromises must be made.

I didn't have much respect for the evangelical brand before Trump. Now it is nonexistent.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:40 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Some evangelicals are the biggest hypocrites. Look at Sarah Huckabee Sanders who constantly lies for the liar in chief.
That's your opinion. It's also just your opinion that Trump is a liar.

I support Trump and his agenda. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Obama was one of the worst liars ever to be President. Did you support him?

Quote:
Seems to me like if your religion is like a book you can put on a shelf when you don't need it, tell lies and vote for a Liar just because you think the R beside his name makes him more moral than the D next to the other name. You hypocrites think the Republicans are moral? Think again.
Ted Kennedy
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
Menendez

Just to name a few. Are they moral?

Quote:
They have been playing you people for the fools most of you are for years. You'll accept a guy who admits he grabs women's privates and has no respect for women unless she is "pretty"
You're accepting braggadocio as a statement of fact. There has never been a shred of evidence that he has treated women that way.

Quote:
Trump has been an all time low in Presidents. I would rather not have a president than one that acts like a frat boy with a potty mouth. I just get disgusted listening to his speeches and how he is blameless for anything he didn't like in his administration. His kids are as entitled as he is and I can't understand why they are still using Daddy as a crutch. They went to college and hopefully they learned something.
Why haven't they left the nest? Seems like they are still clinging to Daddy.
We've had other "potty mouth" presidents, some of whom have been Democrats. Lyndon Johnson used the "N" word often, it has been said. Obama ridiculed Christians. You just don't like Trump.

If you want to know who the man is, look at his children. Trumps children are well raised, polite, ladies and gentlemen.

Trump is also very generous. He got Sgt Tahmooressi released from Mexican prison, then gave him $25,000 to help him get back on his feet when Obama did nothing. There are many other stories (first hand accounts) of how Trump has helped people. What did Obama ever do?

Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think you're misinterpreting Scripture. You'd better do some serious Bible study.

However, I do not think Trump is evil. But I do think the Democrat Party is evil.
Pot: Meet kettle

Old 08-26-2017, 09:44 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post

I didn't have much respect for the evangelical brand before Trump. Now it is nonexistent.
Evangelicals by and large have always been the worst, most un-Christian sect of Christianity in this country. When you have people like Pat Robertson and the Family Research Council leading you, many will be horrible people.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:48 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,382 times
Quote:
That's your opinion. It's also just your opinion that Trump is a liar.

I support Trump and his agenda. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Obama was one of the worst liars ever to be President. Did you support him?

Ted Kennedy
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
Menendez

You're accepting braggadocio as a statement of fact. There has never been a shred of evidence that he has treated women that way.

We've had other "potty mouth" presidents, some of whom have been Democrats. Lyndon Johnson used the "N" word often, it has been said. Obama ridiculed Christians. You just don't like Trump.

If you want to know who the man is, look at his children. Trumps children are well raised, polite, ladies and gentlemen.

Trump is also very generous. He got Sgt Tahmooressi released from Mexican prison, then gave him $25,000 to help him get back on his feet when Obama did nothing. There are many other stories (first hand accounts) of how Trump has helped people. What did Obama ever do?

There you go seeing people live in lala alternative reality land. The sky is purple, but that's just my opinion. Facts mean nothing anymore. It's all about confirmation bias. I believe things and I want them to be true matter what.

Saying Trump lies is NOT an opinion. It's a fact. Just about everything coming out of his mouth is a lie and he knows there are people just like you who don't care.

Trump has never helped nobody. Trump cares about himself only. He surely loves gullible people just like you who he can take easily advantage of.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:49 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Oh, brother!

"The First Amendment forbids this anyway" No, it doesn't. And, by the way, our laws were based on English Common Law, which was based on Biblical principles.
Correct. Separation of church and state is a construct of the Constitution. It simply says that the federal government (and through incorporation the state governments) shall make no law abridging religion. In other words, you can't make it illegal to be Muslim. You could, however, pass laws that make it illegal to open businesses on Sunday as it is the Christian Sabbath. That doesn't abridge the right to be Jewish even though Jews don't celebrate Sabbath on Sunday.

Quote:
"creative interpretations of certain biblical passages that you happen to like" Creative interpretations? The Bible is pretty clear. God created marriage for man and woman, and homosexuality is sin. He also only created two genders: male and female. Without marriage between a man and a woman, there can be no family. Civilized society quickly begins to crumble when we dismantle the foundations.
Think is the only people that care what the bible says are religious, specifically Christian. And even a lot of them don't really care and selectively pick portions rather than take a literal reading of it. For someone like me, it's just a kind of mildly interesting fictional book that's really old with a demonstrated history of not even working that well. The further we have gotten away from literally following your rather nutty old book, the better humanity has generally gotten. For example, during the Dark Ages western society was pretty much literally following the dusty old book very strictly. Book is good, church reads book and tells you what to do. Don't think. Then we had the crusades which was the spark that began the Renaissance as we rediscovered a lot of Greek influence and began to think for ourselves. The church is now a shadow of what it once was and we're better for it. Doesn't mean there's not a lot of good general principals in the dusty old book of fiction, but it's also not the pinnacle of humanity. Just my opinion, but it can serve as an okay simplistic foundation but lacks the nuance to go beyond that. I've always found that religious philosophy resonates with me much more than the Bible.

Quote:
"There is no evidence that your religion is the "one true faith" Yes there is. It's in the Bible. God wrote it. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the "one true God." "Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me." Isaiah 43:10 And: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me" Jesus words, John 14:6
Yes, and that same one true faith junk is written in everyone else's dusty book of fiction as well. It's circular logic. It only works if you take a bunch of assumptions. 1) God existed. 2) God wrote the book through the disciples rather than them just hallucinating or lying about that. 3) God happened to be telling the truth (known to lie frequently in the Bible) about it. It's an illogical construct.

Quote:
"Religion is no substitute for science" God created science. Science is no substitute for God.
Santa may as well have created science as he's just as real.
I would agree with the second part. Religion is fundamentally a philosophy. It attempts to answer questions that science, at least for the foreseeable future, will never answer.

Quote:
Christians cannot "end war." How can they? There is evil in the world. This is a fallen world. As long as there is evil in the world, there will be war. If you think Christians should be able to change the heart of a man like Kim Jong Un or the Ilamists like ISIS, or HAMAS or any of the other terrorist organizations, you're delusional. And what about BLM (Black Lives Matter)? "Pigs in a blanket! Fry 'em like bacon!" Are we supposed to be able to miraculously subdue that kind of evil?
Outright, no. Because most of the world isn't Christian. Now the Civil War? You know, maybe they could have. Maybe not. Religion, however, was not so much used as a context to prevent the Civil War as to drive it. On both sides. Religion is a nice construct for people to do whatever they want. It's dogmatic. Black and white.

Quote:
On "progressivism," your knowledge is lacking. Progressivism has no use for religion. Progressives believe only in science. "Progressivism" is collectivism, and it is a system that divides: Elitists (the 'experts' who are the ruling class) and the serfs (the "ordinary 'folks'"). How often have you heard people like Barack Obama refer to "ordinary folks?"
See what I mean? Black and white. Progressivism is religion. Your rather silly book of dusty fiction? That's progressivism. If you don't believe in progressivism, it's not even the real book. The real book is the Old Testament only. And it's written in the wrong language. Somehow though, I doubt you have a Latin copy of the Old Testament and consider the New Testament to be a hoax written by devil-worshiping scientists.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:16 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
America was built on a lot of different things. Christianity was one of them.

Yet the founding fathers were Deist not Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Evangelicals supported Trump for one reason, and one reason only. They believe he will appoint conservative judges and justices and that eventually Roe v Wade will be overturned by these judges.

And if the agent of this change is an accused rapist who brags about the power to sexually assault women against their will, well, then certain moral compromises must be made.

Excatly right!

Quote:
T

Ted Kennedy
Bill Clinton
Hillary Clinton
Menendez

There has never been a shred of evidence that he has treated women that way.

No such thing as a moral president same with Trump. It doesn't matter which party you tend to lean towards.

I guess you missed Trump saying that if you have money women will do anything you want them to do.
AND you didn't WATCH the video of Trump hitting on the French prime ministers wife?

How could you NOT know is my question?

Politician's really don't have a set of religious beliefs IF they do I would say they have more in common with Satanist then anything else. Meaning they are self-serving and don't believe or have a God.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:22 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I have yet to hear God booed at the Republican Convention. I heard that happen at the Democratic Convention when it was in Charlotte. Go with the ones that allows freedom of religion. What a president does is less important than what he allows us to do. I like freedom of speech and freedom of religion. When that goes our country goes with it.

Some of the talk I hear from the left is scary in that it sounds like a communist country talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies