Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times

Advertisements

You see no difference in Military prisoners of war and a sheriff in a US town who targeted (racially) hispanics,was arrested ,went to court,was CONVICTED and now walks away ?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
No...the message Trump is sending is that if you're on his team you can get away with breaking the law and he's got your back.
Do you see any public statements of support from other Law Enforcement Officers?

Donnie Harrison, Wake County Sheriff, once described how credibility is essential to law enforcement officers, how law enforcement officers who commit crimes, who lie, ... not only lose their own effectiveness to enforce laws, but they undermine the entire law enforcement system.

I believe the man was right.

Imagine the state of law enforcement if every sheriff operated like Arpaio.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You see no difference in Military prisoners of war and a sheriff in a US town who targeted (racially) hispanics,was arrested ,went to court,was CONVICTED and now walks away ?
No, they don't. Don't expect it here.

Plenty of sane Republicans do see the difference. You know, those Rino's.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:11 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
the aclu has no problem putting their rank hypocrisy on full display.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
So I knew little about Arpaio - bits and bobs but had no real knowledge. Now I do -- thanks Mr. President -- and I now am horrified that the status quo let a man like that have a role of power for so long. But he ran as a Republican in a Republican stronghold. For positions like Sheriff or County Treasurer folks vote party - not individual. This is a perfect example why we should not vote party all the way -- we need to make sure we know what each candidate is made of.

Sheriff shouldn't be an elected position anyways,

Trump should have waited for the sentence to come down and then perhaps commuted it.

Trump chose not to follow normal protocol for the pardon -- waiting for the individual to request a pardon, reviewing the case with the DOJ and having the individual expres some kind of remorse or regret for their actions that resulted in a guilty conviction.

Trump set himself up for the backlash. He is his own worse enemy. I suspect this was to secure his base but his base is in so deep they aren't going to bail on him EVER. What about the 65% voters that are not happy right now -- this just adds another brick in the wall (snicker).

Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,815 times
I am not surprised that the media has turned this pardon into such a major misdeed.

The way I see it President Trump pardoned an 85 year old man convicted of a misdemeanor. In the overall list of people who have been pardoned this is nothing.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I don't think there's any question he defied a judge's order.
"Judges" are not his boss. Sheriff Joe is an elected official. He answers to the voters. They support his work.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So I knew little about Arpaio - bits and bobs but had no real knowledge. Now I do -- thanks Mr. President -- and I now am horrified that the status quo let a man like that have a role of power for so long. But he ran as a Republican in a Republican stronghold. For positions like Sheriff or County Treasurer folks vote party - not individual. This is a perfect example why we should not vote party all the way -- we need to make sure we know what each candidate is made of.

Sheriff shouldn't be an elected position anyways,

Trump should have waited for the sentence to come down and then perhaps commuted it.

Trump chose not to follow normal protocol for the pardon -- waiting for the individual to request a pardon, reviewing the case with the DOJ and having the individual expres some kind of remorse or regret for their actions that resulted in a guilty conviction

Trump set himself up for the backlash. He is his own worse enemy. I suspect this was to secure his base but his base is in so deep they aren't going to bail on him EVER. What about the 65% voters that are not happy right now -- this just adds another brick in the wall (snicker).
Thank you - he didn't even wait for the sentencing. Nor did he involve the DOJ. President Twitter thinks HE is the rule of law and acted accordingly.

I've not seen many in his own party come out in support of this pardon. Most have condemned it.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Once again you and yours spread these same old lies. Arpaio was never convicted of targeting Hispanics just based on their ethnicity alone and just because Hispanics who support their ethnic group violating our immigration laws say so does not make it so either. Put your victim card back in your wallet once and for all.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
I won't respond to any one particular post. Speaking as one with a legal background, I will state there is much misinformation that has been presented here.

1. One is not entitled to a jury trial on contempt of court charges that spring from violating a court order. Nor should there be such a thing. The only question that is present in such a proceeding is whether there was a valid court order in place and whether the person accused of contempt of court violated it. Having a jury trial in such a situation simply invites individuals to ignore the law and hope that some jury somewhere may engage in illegal nullification.

2. If Arpaio truly did nothing wrong, Trump could have waited for the appeals process to play out. This was not done. This really makes claims that Arpaio did nothing wrong ring hollow.

3. Its the courts, not Sheriff Joe, not Donald Trump, and not Donald Trump's supporters that get to interpret the law. I could care less about the opinion of a Trump supporter who claims that "Sheriff Joe did nothing wrong". All of us should feel that way. A nation of laws requires neutral courts and judges to interpret the law. Otherwise, we are something less than a nation of laws.

4. This is not an example of the "liberals being out to get Trump". John McCain has condemned the pardon. Jeff Flake has condemned the pardon. Paul Ryan has criticized the pardon.

5. The one argument I have some sympathy with is that Sheriff Joe is 85 years old and perhaps a pardon should be considered on humanitarian grounds. The problem is Trump never attempted to predicate the pardon on that. The basis of the pardon is that Trump liked Arpaio's actions against immigrants. Also, if this is the case there are other old people within the federal corrections system the President should consider pardoning as well.

Looks like the President is going to skate on this one because the country is preoccupied with a hurricane. The hurricane is extremely important news. It should not obscure yet another moral failing on the part of a bad president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies