Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 07:52 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times

Advertisements

This will be my 3rd time saying this now, and 2nd time directed towards you, for some reason you aren't understanding or reading what I originally said.

THERE ARE WORSE QB'S THAN KAEPERNICK WITH JOBS, HOWEVER NOBODY WANTS A MIDDLE OF THE LINE QB WHO WILL BRING A POSSIBLE DISTRACTION WITH HIM!

That simple. Possible distraction = bad for teams, media, etc...

Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
If any team is dumb enough to sign Kapernick they will face a massive fan backlash and boycott. It does not matter if Kapernick can still play, his presence on the team will be destructive. Even Seattle did not want to touch this loser.

Report: Fans rising up against possible Kaepernick signing in Baltimore – ProFootballTalk

Old 08-26-2017, 10:03 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Brown was never going to be an activist.
Jim Brown has been a huge community activist and has helped many ex gang members with his Amer-I-Can foundation! It is difficult to find an athlete who has been a more positive influence for his community than Jim Brown.

Amer-I-Can

Syracuse University Athletics - Jim Brown Named 2016 Muhammad Ali Legacy Award Recipient

As a social activist, Brown supported Africa-American causes by helping to create the Negro Industrial Economic Union in the 1960s, and founded the Amer-I-Can program in the 1980s, which strives to turn around the lives of young gang members.

Jim Brown - Social Consciousness - Cleveland, Life, Athletes, and Gang - JRank Articles

Brown founded Amer-I-Can in 1987. Amer-I-Can attempts to instill personal growth techniques and life management skills in gang members and prison inmates. With his powerful presence, Brown often conducts seminars with Los Angeles' gang members in his house in the Hollywood Hills.

NFL great saves former L.A. gang member - NY Daily News

Old 08-26-2017, 11:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Jim Brown has been a huge community activist and has helped many ex gang members with his Amer-I-Can foundation! It is difficult to find an athlete who has been a more positive influence for his community than Jim Brown.

Amer-I-Can

Syracuse University Athletics - Jim Brown Named 2016 Muhammad Ali Legacy Award Recipient

As a social activist, Brown supported Africa-American causes by helping to create the Negro Industrial Economic Union in the 1960s, and founded the Amer-I-Can program in the 1980s, which strives to turn around the lives of young gang members.

Jim Brown - Social Consciousness - Cleveland, Life, Athletes, and Gang - JRank Articles

Brown founded Amer-I-Can in 1987. Amer-I-Can attempts to instill personal growth techniques and life management skills in gang members and prison inmates. With his powerful presence, Brown often conducts seminars with Los Angeles' gang members in his house in the Hollywood Hills.

NFL great saves former L.A. gang member - NY Daily News
Sorry, in the case I meant taking a super vocal political stance aka a political stance like Kaep. I don't think of mentoriship and community service as activism. And not being an activist is not a slight. You can be a community advocate without being an activist. Being vocal is not a sign of virtue either positive or negative.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
This will be my 3rd time saying this now, and 2nd time directed towards you, for some reason you aren't understanding or reading what I originally said.

THERE ARE WORSE QB'S THAN KAEPERNICK WITH JOBS, HOWEVER NOBODY WANTS A MIDDLE OF THE LINE QB WHO WILL BRING A POSSIBLE DISTRACTION WITH HIM!

That simple. Possible distraction = bad for teams, media, etc...
Sitting quiety is not distracting at all. Lots of people sit out the national anthem for various reasons. It is onlt a "distraction" because the media wants to point it out as radical behavior.

I think beating your wife / girlfriend is a distraction. Same with attempting murder. Sitting quietly - not something I'd notice.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:54 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
A team would have to be a complete bunch of idiots to hire Kap. He cares more about being an activist than improving his spotty at best QB skills.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:11 AM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Sitting quiety is not distracting at all. Lots of people sit out the national anthem for various reasons. It is onlt a "distraction" because the media wants to point it out as radical behavior.
I'd say that's a bit of a stretch. The print media could have remained completely quiet about the whole thing and one picture on someone's Facebook wall (without commentary) would have caused a firestorm. People don't need journalists to instruct them on their feelings when it comes to their ideas on patriotism (which undoubtedly comes from their upbringing).

Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
I think the NFL is pretty out of touch. It'll be interesting to see how many of the people who have said they are boycotting will. The younger people just aren't into mass culture and the NFL represents it.

I am jumping on the boycott bandwagon, but since I only watch the super bowl - maybe - it is no hardship for me.
I doubt most boycotting make up the season ticket holders. I went to a Raiders game last season and other than me and my friend probably 2 of only a handful of blacks in the entire arena.

Plus some of us think Kap is an idiot who conveniently began protesting when he was a backup quarterback. A protest in this instance is foolish and useless. Kudos to Jim Brown

Old 08-27-2017, 08:26 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
For those younger people, or the vast amount of low information types, Jim Brown was a major Civil Rights activist in the 1960's, and 70's. He used his fame to advance the cause for equality for Blacks. He was also an all American Lacrosse player in college. (Syracuse)

Old 08-27-2017, 08:29 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
The media supports it 100%, they are not trying to demonize him, but Americans dont like it, they dont like disrespecting our flag or country. Patriotism goes deeper than who the president is... buring the flag or disrespecting the flag is wrong no matter who is president, that's what terrorists do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies