Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,485 times

Advertisements

Like all the idiots ,Jesse Jackson and the leftist students at Stanford , chanting "hey hey, ho ho, western civ has got to go"

At least that inspired peter thiel and the stanford review

https://twitter.com/clairlemon/statu...83225628155904
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 01:10 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Wow its 70 s all over again. She can break out the Castro and Che T-shirt and blow up a radio station

Old 08-26-2017, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Wow its 70 s all over again. She can break out the Castro and Che T-shirt and blow up a radio station
The late 60's and 70's was a terrible time for the Right. Vietnam, Watergate, etc. At least now we have a large right wing media and its not just national review and buckley, but real right wingers.

https://twitter.com/clairlemon/statu...84343284248576

Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Seems analogous to the 60's to me. Zuckerberg's are wealthy NY Jews, that is going to affect their world view compared to others with a different background.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:34 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Interesting, considering Donna's brother Mark won a prize re his study of the Classics while he was a student at Phillips Exeter Academy. I wonder if he shares her view.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:38 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Well, at least you're giving us more erudite links tonight. Last night's stroll thru the yellow tabloids in the UK was a bit demeaning. Now we get Aussies with an attitude and a vocabulary to match. That's the good news. In the bad news department, we discover that it's possible to sound good while being rotten to the core.

Claire Lehmann appears to be using Twitter as a platform to shill her blog, Quillette. Nothing especially wrong with blowing your own horn, I suppose; but worthless when trying to win an empirical argument. Lehmann conveniently forgets that the study of the "dead" languages - Latin and Classical Greek - began its long decline back in the 50's if not earlier. "Identity Politics" had little or nothing to do with this. Rather, it is a matter of the years of time that is required to learn two archaic languages in order to read the Classics in their original language. Someone needs to keep up with this, but outside the shrouded towers of academe, the majority of people - including the ones who have a college education - have little practical use for Latin and Greek. For one thing, the written works of the ancient Greeks and Romans have been translated many times over by a long line of scholars through the ages. It's difficult for a fresh voice to add anything new. In addition, the dawn of the 21st Century has not exactly invoked a cry for people fluent in Latin. Check it out on one of the many job boards that now abound on the Internet if you don't believe me.

For just the two reasons I list above, I doubt if a single member of this forum has read Caesar's Commentaries or the orations of Cicero in the original Latin. And you can forget Classical Greek - the rest of modern society has and not because of the evil lefties, either. It's called supply and demand - surely you conservatives are aware of this concept. You want to know the first line of Caesar's Commentaries without resorting to Google? Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. I bet you couldn't quite recall those words to mind, hmm? Had to have a flaming Liberal do it for you. Ever heard of the Helvetians? Know why they were so infamous and which country today is inhabited by the descendents of the Helvetians? Well, Google away, I'm not going to make it any easier on you.

What a stupid explanation for a cultural trend that goes back at least 60 years and frankly, in the early morning hours of August 26, 2017, who cares? A potentially catastrophic hurricane is threatening the coastal cities of Texas, Trump has just pardoned Joe Arpaio in flagrant disrespect of the Courts, and petroleum giant CITGO with 40% of its shares held as collateral by a Russian owned state petroleum corporation has just been exempted by our president from US sanctions against Venezuela. Hmmm... I wonder why?

And you're all hot and bothered by a subject you obviously know nothing about. Please try to do better tomorrow evening or I'm going to stop reading your threads and you know you'd miss my acid replies to your posts.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 08-26-2017 at 02:48 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Well, at least you're giving us more erudite links tonight. Last night's stroll thru the yellow tabloids in the UK was a bit demeaning. Now we get Aussies with an attitude and a vocabulary to match. That's the good news. In the bad news department, we discover that it's possible to sound good while being rotten to the core.

Claire Lehmann appears to be using Twitter as a platform to shill her blog, Quillette. Nothing especially wrong with blowing your own horn, I suppose; but worthless when trying to win an empirical argument. Lehmann conveniently forgets that the study of the "dead" languages - Latin and Classical Greek - began its long decline back in the 50's if not earlier. "Identity Politics" had little or nothing to do with this. Rather, it is a matter of the years of time that is required to learn two archaic languages in order to read the Classics in their original language. Someone needs to keep up with this, but outside the shrouded towers of academe, the majority of people - including the ones who have a college education - have little practical use for Latin and Greek. For one thing, the written works of the ancient Greeks and Romans have been translated many times over by a long line of scholars through the ages. It's difficult for a fresh voice to add anything new. In addition, the dawn of the 21st Century has not exactly invoked a cry for people fluent in Latin. Check it out on one of the many job boards that now abound on the Internet if you don't believe me.

For just the two reasons I list above, I doubt if a single member of this forum has read Caesar's Commentaries or the orations of Cicero in the original Latin. And you can forget Classical Greek - the rest of modern society has and not because of the evil lefties, either. It's called supply and demand - surely you conservatives are aware of this concept. You want to know the first line of Caesar's Commentaries without resorting to Google? Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. I bet you couldn't quite recall those words to mind, hmm? Had to have a flaming Liberal do it for you. Ever heard of the Helvetians? Know why they were so infamous and which country today is inhabited by the descendents of the Helvetians? Well, Google away, I'm not going to make it any easier on you.

What a stupid explanation for a cultural trend that goes back at least 60 years and frankly, in the early morning hours of August 26, 2017, who cares? A potentially catastrophic hurricane is threatening the coastal cities of Texas, Trump has just pardoned Joe Arpaio in flagrant disrespect of the Courts, and petroleum giant CITGO with 40% of its shares held as collateral by a Russian owned state petroleum corporation has just been exempted by our president from US sanctions against Venezuela. Hmmm... I wonder why?

And you're all hot and bothered by a subject you obviously know nothing about. Please try to do better tomorrow evening or I'm going to stop reading your threads and you know you'd miss my acid replies to your posts.
Please do. Your posts are always always ignorant and just ugly and you are a communist who admitted you get all your info from pravda and you supposedly got your MA in a junk "climate" science

The Greeks were the very foundation of Western thought. Thales’,Pythagoras , Hippocrates, Plato ,Socrates, Astronomy, Biology, Cartography, Physics, and excelled in Mathematics, the origins of theater ,gorgeous architecture ,and cities, and the romans and greeks influenced every aspect of american political life and and our founding fathers.

You are a communist and a feminist who hates the West.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:40 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Like all the idiots ,Jesse Jackson and the leftist students at Stanford , chanting "hey hey, ho ho, western civ has got to go"

At least that inspired peter thiel and the stanford review

https://twitter.com/clairlemon/statu...83225628155904
Do the Zuckerbergs think we should " follow " them !

Old 08-26-2017, 03:42 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Seems analogous to the 60's to me. Zuckerberg's are wealthy NY Jews, that is going to affect their world view compared to others with a different background.
They may be from NYC, but like others from NYC transport their horrible views around the country. How successful capitalists can be utter communists is beyond me. They are certainly the enemy.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:47 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
They may be from NYC, but like others from NYC transport their horrible views around the country. How successful capitalists can be utter communists is beyond me. They are certainly the enemy.
Yeah I don't know if I will understand that.....the system that has made you wealthy you hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies