Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

I think Stormfront was an exhausting site to browse through. And it was so restricted and monitored.
They didnt make it easy for people to challange their opinions.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:36 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Except the domain itself has apparently been seized, as well. That domain is private property, and a very valuable business asset. Sure, they can register "stornmfront2.org" or whatever, but their original doman has been confiscated by a private party. That's problematic.
The domain is a separate issue than the host. I was referring to the post from lvmensch that demonstrated a lack of understanding how large websites and hosting work.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The name itself shouldn't be an issue. That can be registered separate from the host server. All files are stored with the host server and although website owners do download all files from time to time, especially when switching hosts, it doesn't happen that often. If the host server locked down the files and locked out the site owner, then the owner does not have access to the site files and cannot upload them to a new server.
You have two types of files. Source code and data files (content and assets). Source code is stored in a source repository. Data is stored in databases and on file servers that are backed up regularly. In the case of sites as large as CD and Stormfront, on a daily basis, at least (assuming there's a level of competence).

As demonstrated by the poster I was quoting, not everyone in the web industry is competent... even with over 20 years of experience.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Please. I have been in this art since at least 20 years before it began. I do understand it and what happened to a level that few can reach. And I understand its practicalities as well.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Stormfront has been blindsided by its supplier. Simple as that.
With 20 years of experience and your demonstration of lack of knowledge in this area, I'd be concerned.

Yes, they were blindsided by their supplier, but they don't need get their site back from their host. They can redeploy it from source and backups (again, assuming they had competent technology staff).

Old 08-26-2017, 07:42 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Mmm, not necessarily. They'll find another host. This is just a privately owned company saying "we don't want your business anymore."
Umm, can bakeries say the same thing?

Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
With 20 years of experience and your demonstration of lack of knowledge in this area, I'd be concerned.

Yes, they were blindsided by their supplier, but they don't need get their site back from their host. They can redeploy it from source and backups (again, assuming they had competent technology staff).
Re: 20 years.

I was amazed when, 10 years after I started my big site, other "internet consultants" that my clients had working for them would call or email me with the most basic questions. That is, they had no understanding of how the dang thing works.

The problem is probably related to specialization. When I started there was ONE job - just like this SF guy....one person was "webmaster" and did everything. A few years later things changed and now large groups of people are involved, none of them getting the full picture (except some good sysadmins).

But, yeah, no one took his domain name and no one took his data. It seems he simply doesn't have enough help or willpower to get it going again...

Heck, I understand that. I sold my big site after 18 years. It gets tiring.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Umm, can bakeries say the same thing?
Sure....they don't want to make a poop (themed) cake. Case closed.

But could they refuse a customer because he wears a turban? Or has black skin?
Probably not.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:54 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,349 times
So this website was bunch of white nazis that was around 20 years and never developed into anything, and probably some of people on there were feds or splc guys keeping tabs on them, now all of a sudden after 20 years someone is upset? Did network solutions think they were wonderful before, or they are just caving in to censorship and political pressure from a few leftist groups.

This is stupid, you are just going to see more stuff going into the dark web and more alt tech sites springing up, there are still alot of libertarians in the tech world and this a great business opportunity, stuff like gab is really exploding.

You remember when alot of these silicon valley companies and all so called "free speech advocates" were so concerned about "censoring the web" during all the sopa- stop online piracy act mess, they said oh we cant stop piracy, it will be censorship and the death of the internet.

The funny thing is how this stuff always backfires. Daily stormer is now one of the most popular sites on the Dark web and its a vile site.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Why is it bad if they go deeper underground? And yes I mean any kind of "supremacist" website. Black Panthers, KKK, etc should be shut down. Terrorists groups shut down. We know terrorists use Facebook a lot and Facebook has gone after them pretty hard. Why don't people complain about that free speech under attack. Everyone has a line in the sand on what should be allowed, only a few fringe people don't believe there should be any oversight or censorship.
I'm with you.
If one actually reads and reasons, they might say that many "terrorists" have a better case than SF. Same could be said for Black Panthers, which started out as a "we know YOU aren't going to help or take care of us, so we will protect ourselves" group. Not really different than lots of the militia movements...in fact, much better in the sense they fed the poor, etc.

As I mentioned, there are plenty of places for all of these groups to express themselves. Then we have "the law" to decide whether they are inciting violence or a riot or otherwise breaking our laws.

I am always torn when it comes to what is called "terror". I'm sure the King of England considered Washington and Hamilton and friends terrorists. One mans terrorist is often anothers' freedom fighter.

Definitely a line there when you attack and/or use civilian populations as a target. But underground or guerilla warfare or revolts/revolutions against the status quo should not be labeled terrorism.

A lot of hypocrisy in that stuff. On one hand we spend trillions losing to the taliban. Now we send in MORE troops while our Sec. of State claims the only solution is to negotiate with the same.

Well - did they suddenly stop being terrorists and now become friends around the negotiating table?

Old 08-26-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
So this website was bunch of white nazis that was around 20 years and never developed into anything, and probably some of people on there were feds or splc guys keeping tabs on them, now all of a sudden after 20 years someone is upset? Did network solutions think they were wonderful before, or they are just caving in to censorship and political pressure from a few leftist groups.

This is stupid, you are just going to see more stuff going into the dark web and more alt tech sites springing up, there are still alot of libertarians in the tech world and this a great business opportunity, stuff like gab is really exploding.

You remember when alot of these silicon valley companies and all so called "free speech advocates" were so concerned about "censoring the web" during all the sopa- stop online piracy act, they said oh we cant stop piracy it will be censorship and the death of the internet.

The funny thing is how this stuff always backfires. Daily stormer is now one of the most popular sites on the Dark web and its a vile site.
Do you know that network solutions hosted them for 20 years? How are you sure?

You will not see millions on the dark web. But, hey, give it a shot.

As far as what happened...that's pretty simple, but a book could also be written on it. Simply put:
"The GOP went off the rails and billionaires financed a vast number of outlets which fostered hate - so many that hate become mainstream and we entered backwards world. Once we went that far down the rabbit hole, it wasn't very far to get to wearing Nazi armbands and stating constantly that all Jews should be gassed".

I hope that partially answers your question about how we got here. None of the evil movements of history started in a day or a week. You could just as well say "All Germany wanted to do was to protect itself and build up the economy - yet 15 years later they were responsible for 50 million dead. How did we get from "fixing the highways" to "gassing the vermin"...???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies