Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:09 AM

72,847 posts, read 62,291,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Confederate Flag is a battle Flag. I need to buy one to **** off over sensitive Liberals.

Black Woman Defends The Confederate Flag & Feel ... - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifaB5viGLQU
Jul 05, 2015 · How can a black woman defend the confederate flag and state slavery was a choice? Lack of education. The woman in this video have no knowledge of what the ...
Yeah, one Black woman out of how many? There are 40-42 million Blacks in this country. Until you can come up with some evidence that the MAJORITY of African-Americans are okay with the Confederate flag, your link just shows me an anomaly. I can go and call up Black people I went to high school, and the majority(to the tune of 99%) will be against the Confederate flag. I live in South. I live in Georgia. I know from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 AM

15,752 posts, read 7,546,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Except as I have exhaustively pointed out, that is simply not true. Some people may 'divine' that meaning out of it, but that was never the intention of the people who designed it and the Saint Andrews Cross held no special meaning in the South at the time.

The "Stainless Banner" that was adopted in 1863 as the official flag of the CSA, was never used/intended as a battle field flag. The complaints were that it got dirty easily, it might be mistaken for a flag of truce when being used on a naval ship or at a fort/city and that it sent a mixed message by placing the battle flag on a pure white background.

I assume you are referring to the "In God We Trust" motto? That was added to the redesign in 2001. It was a "quid pro quo" done in exchange for removing the battle flag emblem that was added in the 1950's. Georgia can put whatever they want on their flag, but adding that motto in 2001 has nothing to do with what motivated flag designers in the 1860's.

I wish people who choose to glorify the Confederacy and distort history to support their own personal narrative would heed his words. Lee thought the entire business was best left behind the nation. One of the reasons he was so against the creation of monuments to the CSA and himself.
Quote:
Except as I have exhaustively pointed out
Keep saying it over and over so as to make it true and may be one day I will believe it. Except that I know it isn't true. The St Andrews cross is Christian and it had/has a lot of meaning to the Christian then and now, in the south, probably north too.
Quote:
I assume you are referring to the "In God We Trust" motto?
No I'm not talking about the In God We Trust motto ... keep looking at it, one day you see it. maybe ...
Quote:
I wish people who choose to glorify the Confederacy
No one is glorifying anything by bringing into the narrative the rest of it.
Quote:
One of the reasons
Could be he had more humility about him ... ?
Quote:
The "Stainless Banner" that was adopted in 1863 as the official flag of the CSA
But the battle flag is made to be seen the confederate flag, even though it never was one. So what else do people get wrong?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-30-2017 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies