Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post

who is right. The parents or the school?
No parent is forced to send their kid to a particular school. As these parents did, if a parent is unhappy with the policies or environment of the school their child attends, they always have the option to homeschool or send their child elsewhere.

So, in that regard, I don't have a problem with what the parents did.

However, I also think that all parents also have the right to ask a school to treat their child with respect.

So, in that regard, I don't have a problem with the parents of the transgendered child asking for what they see as the same rights for their child that other children receive.

If the school had decided that their child's needs were not important to accommodate, the transgendered child's parents would also have the option to educate their kids' elsewhere.

Again, no parent is FORCED to send their kid to a particular school.

Finally, I also think that schools have the right, and the duty, to look at the bigger picture and make decisions based on factors beyond what one parent, or group of parents, might prefer. Schools do this all the time -- they choose textbooks, curriculum, teachers, even playground equipment that individual parents might not like or prefer.

But, again, parents are not FORCED to keep their kids at that school if they don't like the school's decision.

Parents, like schools, make that choice all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 03:25 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Who is demonizing them?
huh?

I simply posted, Parents shouldn't be demonized for having an opinion. I am not saying they are demonized.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:25 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Really?, so you are not trying to frame this as an attack on traditional values?, not what this is. Are we not going to get 10 more pages of slippery slope arguments, seriously?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:26 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Really?, so you are not trying to frame this as an attack on traditional values?, not what this is. Are we not going to get 10 more pages of slippery slope arguments, seriously?
I think you should stop looking for something that is not even there.

What is traditional value?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:29 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I talked about this with my 12 year old daughter last year when the issue was fresh and she asked "Why don't they just go to the nurse's office? They have a private bathroom". It's amazing that a 12 y/o has more common sense than the school district.
I'm sure your 12 year old daughter can ask about using the bathroom in the nurse's office if she is uncomfortable with the other bathrooms. Hope this helps.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:30 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Let's see, if I had a 5 year old daughter, would I want a 10 year old boy using the same bathroom no matter what he might claim? No, I would not.

This should be considered like "special needs" where a team that includes a psychologist that has determined the issue with the child that is claiming to be transgendered. I think both the parents and the school should have a psychologist, and a team including parents, teachers and principal should address what should be done. This is how it is done for special needs, no one just decides they need special accommodations, they prove it and then it must be agreeable to all. I wanted my son with DS in the regular classroom, I could never get him there despite the actions that we took. Did he feel excluded? Yes. Was he blocked from other activities? Yes. When you have special needs, it doesn't mean that your needs surpass those of everyone else, it means that compromises are made to satisfy EVERYONE to the best of the ability of the school system.

I eventually homeschooled my child, and certainly wish I would have homeschooled the other one. More and more families are choosing homeschools for many different and valid reasons.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:32 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Here in our city, they vowed to do away with gender specific bathrooms in the public schools & have pledged to rebuild all bathrooms in the public schools over the upcoming years (because money is so abundant in our public schools!).

I thought "What could possibly go wrong with letting teenage boys & teenage girls share the same bathroom"? A few weeks later, the district decided it could indeed lead to peeping, video taping, harassment, sexual assaults and things of that nature. Their solution? Floor to ceiling "privacy stalls" that no one could look under or over.

I thought "You want to let high school kids sit in those stalls with complete privacy? It'll be like their private offices. They can have sex in there, sit on their phones while they skip class & sell drugs out of there.". A few weeks later, the district came to it's senses and realized this was a terrible idea. Their solution? Bathroom monitors! Yes, there will be bathroom monitors stationed outside the bathrooms to record the identities of bathroom visitors and the length of their stays. Brilliant!

It took me 10 seconds to conclude that it would be much easier to let the 1 transgender student in the school use the teacher's bathroom than to invest tens of millions in new non-gender-specific bathrooms and hire full time bathroom monitors.

We wonder why our kids are losing ground to the world every year? Look at the geniuses in charge of our schools.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I'm sure your 12 year old daughter can ask about using the bathroom in the nurse's office if she is uncomfortable with the other bathrooms. Hope this helps.
Yes, anyone can. That was the point. Thanks for playing.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:36 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Yes, anyone can. That was the point. Thanks for playing.
Then there is no issue with your district's policy. Glad you cleared that up. All the best.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Then there is no issue with your district's policy. Glad you cleared that up. All the best.
So why spend tens of millions of dollars to redesign all the school bathrooms in the city, when that money could be spent on actual education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies