Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:10 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Bush's leadership was so bad with Katrina that I would not want him as dog catcher. We can blame the people he appointed; but at any time he could have appealed for the emergency services to get in there and do something. My wife and I watched day after day while saying to ourselves that help had to come today - it never did or it never came when needed.

I was a hunter and we were always told to shoot to get attention if you are in trouble. The first helicopter crews heard shooting and said it was too dangerous to continue rescue operations. People were dying and they wanted help and they were using the only tools at their disposal! The Crescent City Bridge was disgraceful; where was protest from our President? He had to see what was happening at the Superdome; where was he?

So far Trump's performance leaves no room for criticism; especially when you look back at Katrina. This will be a long haul until Houston get's back on their feet. There will be issues; but I am sure the Administartion will work through those issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 01:15 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
and yet another fake thread based on a lie. No one blamed Bush for Katrina happening, he was blamed (rightfully so) on how his administration handled it. Trump will be judged by the same standard, not for the fact that Harvey occurred.

Although bizarrely enough, his tweets almost imply that he's taking some kind of weird credit and declaring that this is the biggest flood EVER because he can't conceptualize anything but hyperbole.

Well, then hopefully this will be the best handling of a natural disaster ever! But we'll have to wait an see on that. I'm sure the money grubbing GOP Texas Congressional delegation will have their hands out though, despite voting AGAINST federal assistance for Superstorm Sandy, where they felt that it was the state's responsibility to handle.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:21 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'm sure the leftist media has it locked and loaded to deliver more anti Trump headlines.
If trump didn't eliminate obama's federal regs Texas would not be flooded!

this is the kind of logic that will soon coming from the democrats.

Obama couldn't hold back the waters but trump can make them rise....

Old 08-28-2017, 01:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Trump should be blamed, given the fact he has refused to fund FEMA and refused to fill FEMA director positions.
And the local Republican Congressmen better not ask for aid. Not one dime. They were opposed to aid for past disasters **.
Don't confuse you with the facts, your mind's made up, eh?
From CATO:
"The spending cuts in the Trump plan would be beneficial for numerous reasons:
Cuts would reduce federal deficits, which have plagued the government
since the turn of the century. The budget’s spending cuts are being called
cruel and heartless, but chronic deficits are imposing huge costs on
young Americans down the road, which is totally unethical.
Cuts would spur economic growth. Reforms to welfare programs, for example,
will encourage more people to join the labor force and add to the nation’s output.
Cuts would expand freedom because many federal programs—
such as Obamacare—come with top-down
rules and regulations that micromanage society."

Just another point of view.
He has not refused to fund FEMA. He wants to reduce spending on a bloated federal department, long seen as an overgrown bureaucracy.
He has appointed a director of proven capability, William Long. Even NPR likes him. The director is responsible for most staff appointments.

** ITYM Pork barrel projects

Old 08-28-2017, 01:36 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Trump should be blamed, given the fact he has refused to fund FEMA and refused to fill FEMA director positions.

And the local Republican Congressmen better not ask for aid. Not one dime. They were opposed to aid for past disasters.
Trump doesn't "fund" anyone. Congress does. FEMA aid has been made available to Texas.

Demanding that they withhold aid to those affected, is quite frankly, disgusting. Politics has no place in this at all. And those you wish to keep from funding? Mostly Democrats, by the way.

But since the local congressman is Republican, you have decided that they deserve no money. I guess only Dems get that aid? Aid that belong to all Americans, not just the ones you deem worthy?

Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'm sure the leftist media has it locked and loaded to deliver more anti Trump headlines.
No doubt he'll be blamed for the hurricane . . . they'll never run out of negativity against President Trump and the main reason is that bashing President Trump is honored and applauded by the liberal-biased media. If the media were ethical and denounced bashing of our President, the multitudes would follow suit.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
don't bother. he's lying anyway.
Brock Long was confirmed by the U.S. Senate and began his service as the Administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in June 2017. Mr. Long has more than 16 years of experience assisting and supporting local, state, and Federal Governments with building robust emergency management and public health preparedness programs.
https://www.fema.gov/leadership
Lol, I should have fact checked. I saw his name in the media, but did not know he was the FEMA director.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
This makes no sense. There is no way that FEMA is "better prepared" when Trump has left key positions unfilled.

Two of the top deputy positions are empty at this point.
Typical lefty, not understanding that our government is bloated with waste, fraud and abuse. And that having good people in fewer positions mean a more streamlined, efficient and effective response. Only a lefty would think that more government bureaucracy means a better run department.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What would have been the "right thing?"
There is no right thing. Evacuating would have been a nightmare and cost lives. Sheltering in place is a nightmare and is costing lives.

It's a natural disaster. The only "right thing" would be to put humans where there is no threat of any natural disaster, and that place does not exist. The best thing to do is deal with the act of God, and rebuild.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The people closest to the danger zones could have been. Emergency preparedness and evacuation is ON THE MAYOR who is ON THE LEFT. Just give it up already, you obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Nobody prevented those people from evacuating. I know plenty of people that left town, some of whom have no more house to go back to. I also know plenty of people that didn't leave town, and they're fine.

Why must the government ALWAYS handhold grown adults?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies