Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 08:17 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I'm thinking the same, for some reason, I'm not too worried....also, because our economy is doing terrific, better then ever before, especially wall street....wow, a ground war would only plummet our economy.

So if anything is going to be done by the U.S. I believe it would be a heavy air strike, with those missile launches from subs...

but I have to say, BanjoMike makes a lot of sense.

Can sub based missiles carry a strategically effective conventional payload or are they limited to nukes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 09:51 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can sub based missiles carry a strategically effective conventional payload or are they limited to nukes?
Most attack subs carry cruise missiles with conventional warheads. The "boomer boats" probably have a few in addition to their Trident nukes. There was a proposal to place a couple of conventionally armed Tridents among the 14 launch tubes on each boomer, but it was shelved.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's not really "war with" but war ON North Korea because it would be that big of a miss match. They literally would not get a shot off against any American resource. It would be all air attacks and they wouldn't see it coming. Once the stealth fighters destroy their radar and anti aircraft capabilities the B52's would come in and level everything.
You might want to do a little research. There's the whole wall of artillery pointed at the Souths capital.

Read a couple pages here and it seems most people haven't actually read the article, just went off what the OP has referenced. The article actually goes on about how there are alternatives, but the US has weakly managed relationships with Russia and China for decades.

We'll be tough on despots like NK, but we're timid when it comes to Russia or China. Prime example is China and their currency manipulation. It's pretty widely known China's biggest bank (most of them do) launder money for NK. The US Feds could flag them for that and bar the bank from access to the $. This alone would send severe reverberations through their economy and basically force them to make a choice, economic stability or NK. Instead, we flag one of their tiny banks, which really means nothing. It's actually borderline the same as doing nothing.

We used to be tougher with Russia back at a time when Russia was stronger then it is today and we were weaker. Now, we're limp wristed. The US lets Putin walk over it. Outside of being a nuclear power, they're a seriously declining nation. The time for being timid was decades ago and we weren't.

The United States is still the most powerful nation on the planet. It likes to bully little states, but its shy dealing with the other big ones. Ones that it doesn't have to threaten military force with, China can be brought into line just using economic policies. Despite what everyone wants you to believe, they're in a lot more vulnerable position economically than we are.

None of that is going to change quick. The US won't win a war in NK for the same reasons it won't win in the Middle East. That's just a distraction from the bigger picture of failure in American foreign policy.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:15 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
stop with the nonsense, we are the global bully

Would you be willing to send a son or daughter to die for a treaty with s korea and japan?
Are you willing to die fighting for s korea or japan?
Answer yes to either and you flunk the darwin test
I agree

Old 09-20-2017, 10:21 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Most attack subs carry cruise missiles with conventional warheads. The "boomer boats" probably have a few in addition to their Trident nukes. There was a proposal to place a couple of conventionally armed Tridents among the 14 launch tubes on each boomer, but it was shelved.

Given the 50+ cruise missiles Trump launched at Syria only closed the airstrip for a few hours I wonder how effective they'd me if Kim Jung Nut has his missiles and other facilities thoroughly hardened? I also wonder if the intel would be detailed enough to launch a strike focused solely on taking out NK's leadership?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:23 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
The question is, what is the line where what he does is "really stupid?" When a nuclear missile lands in a city and kills millions? Or, do we act BEFORE it happens?

Obviously, Un is more than sabre rattling, he is testing the limits. Hitler was itching for war, and it's reported in documentaries that he was disappointed every time he was appeased.
Exactly. He's already launched towards Japan.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
it won't take much from China to placate him, and though he will continue to bluster at us, it will be just for show.

The Chinese are smooth operators. I have no worries about war just yet. The Chinese won't allow Kim to get carried away.
Exactly.

Kim goes as far as China (and Putin) allow him to.

Putin, Kim and Xi all see that tRump is an ignorant, childish weakling and they know they can keep the USA in chaos by having Kim tweak his nose occasionally. And it's in their national interests to continue to do exactly that.

So, expect this to continue.

Kim will play tRump like a hooked carp and tRump will bellow and bluster like a gut shot jackass.

Think of it as entertainment.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No, tRump won't end anything. He's the main reason NK is making all of these provocative moves. They didn't do this during Obama's, Dubya's or Clinton's terms.

China and Russia will continue to supply NK with whatever it needs, despite any so-called sanctions that have no real enforcement.

Putin and Xi both want to maintain the status quo on the Korean peninsula and they LOVE to have Lil' Kim tweaking tRump's nose. They understand that he's weak, immature and ignorant. They'll give Kim plenty of leash to bark, snarl and threaten, but they won't allow him to bite.

Having NK prod SK, Japan and the US is in their national interests and they know that creating chaos in America helps their cause. Putin and Xi win when tRump gets America upset and
nervous.

And tRump is the biggest chaos agent any foreign adversary ever released in the USA.

I report. You decide.

Good lord, look at the history. NK has been making provocative moves since the 60's, with quite a few casualties involved. Many of them innocent SK citizens. One of the biggest attacks came in 2010, when Obama was in office.

China maintains the status quo for purely economic reasons. Just because you think politics is about "tweaking noses", doesn't mean the adults in the room stoop to that level. If NK collapses, China's already fragile economy will be strained by the hoards of refugees that will flee into China.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

However - all that aside - I feel that we have the largest chance of nuclear war ever in my lifetime...NOW. Trump is not, IMHO, a sane actor. Voters elected him because he is different...and that includes being a bully and his way or the highway.
I agree that Trump is a bully; however, like all bullies he is all talk and no action. For all of Trump's tough talk of how we will destroy North Korea (and build a wall on the Mexican border, and implement a secret plan to destroy ISIS, etc etc) what he will actually do is nothing.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:48 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

However - all that aside - I feel that we have the largest chance of nuclear war ever in my lifetime...NOW. Trump is not, IMHO, a sane actor. Voters elected him because he is different...and that includes being a bully and his way or the highway.
I agree that Trump is a bully; however, like all bullies he is all talk and no action. For all of Trump's tough talk of how we will destroy North Korea (and build a wall on the Mexican border, and implement a secret plan to destroy ISIS, etc etc) what he will actually do is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies