Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I know. I read the article, and having also read the book, I personally don't see it.
Are you white?

If so you're opinion doesn't matter to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 02:11 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I know. I read the article, and having also read the book, I personally don't see it.
We're going to need to have you hold up a Sherwin Williams paint strip to your skin before we decide whether your opinion has any merit or if we can dismiss it out of hand while condemning you for being racist and so forth.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:13 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
I don't think Stephen King cares what college professors say about his work, or that he thinks of them as one of his 'own.'

He had a very contentious relationship with the professors at his college and was told that he would never make a living as a writer....

And I didn't pick up anything like racism or misogyny in his book "It."

The revolution "eating its own"? Very melodramatic, but totally meaningless.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:14 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Are you white?

If so you're opinion doesn't matter to them.
That's okay. I don't form or express my opinions to garner approval from anyone. They are what they are.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:16 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Don't care what some random a$$ person says somewhere in the universe.

Maybe the poster just stepped out of a time warp?
A time warp with a little detour in a parralel universe.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:39 PM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
The story takes place in Maine in 1960. There would not be many, if any black people in that small town, but one of the kids in the group of friends is black, and one is female.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:49 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Nice to see King reaping the garbage that he sows.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:51 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,061,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The story takes place in Maine in 1960. There would not be many, if any black people in that small town, but one of the kids in the group of friends is black, and one is female.
Yes, you are right, but everyone is a "victim" these days. Everything is racist or sexist or fascist or the label du jour. It's just getting stupid out there. I guess anyone who is determined to be offended will find something to be offended by. There are, of course, some truly offensive things, but some people are really, really reaching.

I liked Mr King's earlier works. The endings to his books weren't quite so rushed. I never got the feeling that he was either racist or misogynistic. He has always seemed to be very supportive of his wife and many of his novels have female main characters.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You're dead on, but I suspect there are those [no, definitely not all, not even most leftists / progs / liberals / Dems -- but some] who think it's:
  • insensitive (level 1)
  • problematic (level 2)
  • racist (level 3)
  • white supremacist (level 4)
...to both:
  • set a story in a place and time when you know most of the characters would be white
  • keep the setting historically accurate
They would prefer, request, demand, or threaten (depending on level) that you either:
  • revise the story to set it in a more inclusive, more diverse, less whitewashed, or less white supremacist place and/or time
  • revise the setting of Maine 1960 to make it more inclusive, more diverse, less whitewashed, or less white supremacist than it is / was
Or just not make the remake at all.

We're living in a time when a few individuals think Wonder Woman is Dangerous for Black Women.

I of course encourage those who don't like the choices made to simply refrain from seeing the film. That approach has usually worked for me.

I encourage the Christian group One Million Moms to not watch Preacher and leave everyone else alone too.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 08-29-2017 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 04:30 PM

39,226 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Looks like some trigglypuffs are triggered by Stephen King's last novel "It".
Progressive university scholar says Stephen King’s ‘It’ is both racist and misogynistic – TheBlaze
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/36030/

And knowing Stephen King's positions, I wonder if the revolution had begun to eat its own children?
I thought it is about trauma, child abuse, domestic abuse, isolation, absentee parents, loss of a child, small-town racism, suicide, homophobia, fratricide, underage sex, and the fragility of adult friendships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies