Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
So basically as long you are doing ok screw everyone else.
Why aren't people who can't make it here moving to other countries that will take care of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,937,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why aren't people who can't make it here moving to other countries that will take care of them?
Maybe becasue gasp they are poor!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
So basically as long you are doing ok screw everyone else.
That's not what I said. I sit on the board of a charitable foundation. I freely give a great deal of money to that foundation. The difference is, nobody is forcing me to give.

I don't believe in corporate welfare either. Neither has a place in our government.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Maybe becasue gasp they are poor!
So, the illegals coming to the US from Mexico and Central America aren't poor?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That's not what I said. I sit on the board of a charitable foundation. I freely give a great deal of money to that foundation. The difference is, nobody is forcing me to give.

I don't believe in corporate welfare either. Neither has a place in our government.
I hear ya I volunteer weekly at a soup kitchen however you still pay taxes everyone has to. I don't see why a portion couldn't go to really stamping out poverty its not unfeasible we have more empty houses than homeless people we throw away more food than we can eat. Something is rotten

Old 09-02-2017, 09:20 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
Quote:
Why do so many working class americans vote against policies and people that would improve there lives?
I don't vote for or against things based on whether it will improve my life. I vote based on whether it is the right thing to do - meaning it will do the most collective good - meaning it will, eventually, improve my life.

I can't imagine that anyone would do otherwise.

The more interesting question, for me, is why do so many people vote for things that they think will improve their lives in the short run, while hurting the lives of others in the short run, which will eventually hurt the life of the voter (unless they die before it all comes to a head)?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, the illegals coming to the US from Mexico and Central America aren't poor?
Without immigrants our agricultural system would collapse. Instead of pointing fingers at immigrants maybe blame the rich for undercutting native peoples wages in the pursuit of profit.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:24 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
What ever happened to rugged american individualism, was it all a myth?
all I see now are people wanting to be pampered/ protected at someone elses expense and helicopter parented by Uncle Sam. Pitiful.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:24 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
You realize people working full time at low wage jobs can't afford rent and food right? Doesn't sound like they are slacking to me.
Why don't they get some real job skills then? No one should be expecting to raise a family on fast food restaurant wages. If someone is good at grilling burgers, then go get a job at a real restaurant and learn how to become a chef. A cashier can graduate to being a server at a fine restaurant.

Low wages are for starter jobs, not anything that should be expected to be a career. And if they do, then they are indeed slackers that somehow want to spend their entire lives doing menial work. And that is no America's problem to fix. Life rewards the ambitious, and that's the way it should be. Why rewards anyone who is content floating through life and having babies willy-nilly?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:27 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Without immigrants our agricultural system would collapse. Instead of pointing fingers at immigrants maybe blame the rich for undercutting native peoples wages in the pursuit of profit.

I'm sure by "immigrants" you are referring to illegal aliens, right? Not uncommon for the left to blur those lines. Only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers. Those who employ illegal aliens are certainly to blame for undercutting citizen wages and denying them jobs. However, the illegal aliens are just as much to blame for accepting jobs they aren't lawfully entitled to either. Both need to be punished severely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies