Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM

3,840 posts, read 2,199,038 times

Advertisements

Listen what what Mexican-American leader, Felix Tijerina, had to say about the civil rights movement in the 50's:

Quote:
"We don't never want to be affiliated with the Negros. We are white. Let the Negro fight his own battles! His problems are not mine."
Ohh? O.K. That means that we don't need to be fighting any Mexican battles either. I pity the black people who run around supporting the illegal immigrant movement.

Pay attention black people. Look at the history of what these fake "people of color" thought about us. The whole "black and brown" or "black and Latino" unity concept that people promote is a con.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 AM

3,840 posts, read 2,199,038 times
In Dallas Texas in the 1950's, the home of a black family was bombed for daring to move into a white neighborhood...but who were the perpetrators?

Quote:
On a warm Monday night in May 1950, a handful of dynamite easily destroyed Robert and Marie Shelton’s American dream. The bomb ripped through the African American couple’s newly purchased home in South Dallas, demolishing their front porch, knocking the house off its foundation, and leaving behind a large hole in the ground…

The main suspects were Mexican American men who felt threatened by the encroachment of African American families into white neighborhoods. One of these individuals, Pete Garcia, later admitted that he had painted “For Whites Only” signs in the neighborhood, threatened black home buyers with a knife, and chased two African American real estate agents out of the area.

https://books.google.com/books?id=SY...ombing&f=false
There isn't a reason that black people should have any solidarity with these "people of color", who historically were as racist as the Klan.

The black people who promote unity between "people of color" against the "white man" are deluded and blind to their bigotry.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:31 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,068,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
If you really look at history, you'll find out that none of these "people of color" EVER historically had our back or supported our cause, especially in the pre-civil rights era.

Here's a quote from 'A People's History of the United States' (Howard Zinn, 1980)

My family is from Texas and they remember when Mexicans were white and racist.
LOL...that's why I stay out of these battles between whites and Hispanics. I don't give a damn about the immigration debate.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,508,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I was wondering the same thing. In California, the state with the highest percentage of Hispanics, more than half do not finish at our public universities.
Cachibatches sent me a dm with a link to an article that said:

Quote:
The Pew Hispanic Center, a division of the Washington-based Pew Research Center, reports that 69 percent of Latino high school graduates in the class of 2012 enrolled in college compared to 67 percent of Whites
Latino College Enrollment Rate Surpasses That of Whites | Excelencia in Education

So what was posted wasn't quite what it seems and certainly the number of Hispanics enrolled is quite a bit lower than the number of whites enrolled in college as shown in the link below.

College Enrollment, by Race and Ethnicity: 2013 | Pew Research Center

Over the past year a couple of black posters misread some articles, too, and then posted that black women were the most educated in America. Doing a search on that yielded article after article quoting the same misinformation.

Misunderstanding on the part of readers seems to be fairly common.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,768,868 times
No, I don't think that blacks as a whole should be directly advocating for any other POC.

This because, as black Americans we do not have an in depth knowledge of the experiences that other POC have.

However, I do believe in intersectional activism when particular individuals and/or groups seek to work together on particular goals.

Yet, I feel blacks should focus primarily on black people, black families, and majority black neighborhoods and only help other organizations when they are able to.

In regards to the whites who've posted, IMO intersectionality can include white people and their issues as well as there are many majority white areas/neighborhoods/communities that deal with issues that are similar to ones faced by blacks and other POCs. One that comes to mind in particular is environmental issues and pollution in regards to air/water pollutants from commercial organizations and lack of government regulation and oversight.

On black history month, I love it and feel though that it needs to go back to its roots. Today people are unaware that the precursor to BHM was Negro history Week and that was actually an event created by Dr. Carter G. Woodson as a seminal event/conference of sorts where black sociologists, anthropologists, and historians (and collectors of items of the diaspora) were to share the "new" things that were learned/discovered during the preceding year.

Today it only focuses on the same old, same old stuff and individuals. I would like it to go back to its original intentions and focus on new items that have been studied/examined or re-examined over the previous year. One that was interesting to me that I learned about a few years ago was the existence of "maroon" colonies of black Americans in the Great Dismal Swamp from the 1600s through 1865 and the end of the Civil War. I had never known that black Americans created maroon settlements in America and don't think that most people do. It would be great to have a month long conference, like have 4 cities host a conference each week of February and discuss the major findings in black history, anthropology, and archealogy of that particular year and even highlight lessor known black figures in American history during that time.

On the "race baiting" and "playing the race card" comments, IMO I feel people make those comments to black people because they don't want to hear about any sort of "cause and effect" when they ask questions of a black person about the current social condition of blacks in America. They also don't want to admit that race as a sociological concept is actually something that exists in our society and that it has an impact on all people in our society. I'll be honest and state whenever someone says those things to me, especially the "playing the race card" thing, I think they are not an intelligent person because they usually say it in response to a question posed to them that they don't want to answer.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,080,489 times
I'm black. I don't advocate for anybody but my family and close friends. I want to see us all be successful in life.

I don't care about anything else, to be honest. Yes, I'm frustrated by how separated our country has become under Trump and how hate groups - OF ALL KINDS, are on the rise. I am also frustrated with the current relationship between police and the black community, having had a cop point a gun at me three separate times in my life, even though I did absolutely nothing wrong.

But my wife and I have a good jobs, a mortgage, and kids to plan for. We are not interested in marching downtown or protesting in any way because: 1. I have a job so I can't participate in a protest at 9 AM on a weekday and 2. I prefer the safety of my own home and not be caught in some street brawl between two groups of angry people.

I care about the issues facing the black community, but my life is too busy to be some sort of activist. All my wife and I are really concerned with is providing a comfortable life for our children. Not much else.

Last edited by skins_fan82; 09-05-2017 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-05-2017, 07:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,768,868 times
Wanted to note, I also don't have any sort of hang ups about any group of other POC like Mexicans. I agree that they used to be considered white until Nixon created the term "Hispanic." That is not saying though that they have not always had issues of their own, just like various ethnic European immigrants had issues of their own.

But none of them are the same as black Americans in regards to our history and experiences today and due to that I don't feel that blacks advocating for other groups should be a priority for us in anyway.

I also am not a separatist, especially not for my country and believe all Americans share a common history and culture. We are more alike than we are different.

In regards to black activism though, I think it should be focused much moreso on black people. I don't feel we can solve other people's problems. I also feel that us trying to do so takes away our best and brightest from focusing their energy/attention on issues that are important to us as a demographic and that need their activism. Especially healthcare related items and education.

On racism as a problem and the ideology of white supremacy, I believe that can only be solved by white people and that we should stop trying to solve it for them. On that topic, IMO we should only fight it when it affects us from a political/legal perspective and stop trying to argue with individual white supremacists and their groups.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM

62,658 posts, read 28,845,536 times
Here's what I don't get. Why don't blacks take a strong stance against illegal immigration? I can only guess it's because Hispanics who make up the largest group here illegally are minorities of whom blacks consider to be people of color. They are biting off their noses to spite their faces IMO because blacks more than any other race percentage wise are being negatively impacted in the job market. Illegals have taken the jobs that poor and less educated blacks used to be able to make a living at. It's truly puzzling to me.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:02 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,080,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's what I don't get. Why don't blacks take a strong stance against illegal immigration? I can only guess it's because Hispanics who make up the largest group here illegally are minorities of whom blacks consider to be people of color. They are biting off their noses to spite their faces IMO because blacks more than any other race percentage wise are being negatively impacted in the job market. Illegals have taken the jobs that poor and less educated blacks used to be able to make a living at. It's truly puzzling to me.
What on earth are you talking about? Illegals take the jobs of ALL poor and less educated people in this country, not just blacks.

and simply by the raw numbers, there are A LOT more poor and uneducated whites than there are blacks.

As a tree-hugging liberal, I am all for cutting down on illegal immigration. But I am also all for allowing all those already here to stay, so long as they become citizens and pay taxes like the rest of us.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:03 AM

62,658 posts, read 28,845,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I'm black. I don't advocate for anybody but my family and close friends. I want to see us all be successful in life.

I don't care about anything else, to be honest. Yes, I'm frustrated by how separated our country has become under Trump and how hate groups - OF ALL KINDS, are on the rise. I am also frustrated with the current relationship between police and the black community, having had a cop point a gun at me three separate times in my life, even though I did absolutely nothing wrong.

But my wife and I have a high-paying jobs, a mortgage, and kids to plan for. We are not interested in marching downtown or protesting in any way because: 1. I have a job so I can't participate in a protest at 9 AM on a weekday and 2. I prefer the safety of my own home and not be caught in some street brawl between two groups of angry people.

I care about the issues facing the black community, but my life is too busy to be some sort of activist. All my wife and I are really concerned with is providing a comfortable life for our children. Not much else.

Although my personal family is my first concern I'm also concerned about the rest of America as a whole not just white Americans like me. Americans are my extended family and not just white Americans. If we all had that attitude instead we'd be better off as a nation. I don't think a tribal mentality has a place in America. We're all in this together. So we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think in terms of myself being a part of a racial community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies