Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
F let him do it. That would be hilarious to see all the Wal Mart shoppers go berserk.

God please do it. Just do it.
Ma/ pa sell the same stuff as Walmart but charges more. Ma/pa don't have the economies of scale working for them.

Walmart has been the largest US employer since the 80's.

Small businesses are the employers of undocumented workers.

Take your pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There seems to never be a day that Trump doesn't embarrass America on the world stage..
He has dominated the news cycle, every day. That's by his choice.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
He treats other countries - intelligent people - as if they were his reality show apprentices.

He makes a fool of himself - but, heck, he doesn't care about that. One can only imagine the laughter in foreign capitals all over the world.

Yeah, those Chinese goods like Apple iphone - Macbook, etc - really poor, right?

I know folks being paid 100K to 400K a year for upper level management job in China. Regular professional employees in marketing, etc. are being paid 40-120K.

Median wages for all jobs is over $1,000 a month now - and growing. Health care is available at prices that would blow your mind (and it' good care also).....so the savings are actually higher.

Wages are going up FAST also.
So we don't make stuff there anymore because it is cheap. We make stuff because they are hard working, ambitious, well educated and SHOW UP at their jobs without substance abuse, drama, etc.

It's almost impossible to get large numbers of Americans to do hard work in a single geo location. That is, trying to get a million employees to make iphones would be near impossible.
Just checked. Today I am wearing Bangladesh and Vietnam.

There's a never ending source of cheaper labor pools out there , beyond China.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Of course we could live without China junk, do we live if N Korea hits us with Nukes?
Forget about hitting the US.

Does NK continue to exist if they lob one over to SK or Japan?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who would be worse off, Boeing who files for bankruptcy and leaves future pension obligations to the Federal Government to fund or Airbus, who fills the void and trades with China?
I think that argument is specious. The actual trouble that both the US and Europe have is the Chinese aircraft are coming and there will soon be a third competitor for the world market. A properly structured US tariff could well delay that coming. A sharp cutoff might well cause it to accelerate.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
IMO the idea that anyone anywhere is going to put some sort of regulation in place that would stop X or Y country from "takin' our jerbs" is defunct. That ship sailed with the creation of the internet.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:23 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
IMO the idea that anyone anywhere is going to put some sort of regulation in place that would stop X or Y country from "takin' our jerbs" is defunct. That ship sailed with the creation of the internet.
Nice choice of words.

The steamship and global trade - Marginal REVOLUTION

Old 09-06-2017, 12:57 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Talks of ending trade with countries supporting North Korea and it's nuclear program could lead to ending trade with China.

But could the US survive without Chinese goods?

Of course it would never happen because like 90% of all goods sold by Trump family are made in China.

I think those hats are made in USA.
There are lots of us who remember when we did without them.....I'm fine with it.....

Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
because it would mean a huge drop in the standard of living for the majority of poeple that is why not.

i suggest you research competitive advantage vs comparative advantage. by "rebuilding" our factories we would fail both tests. that would be a disaster for the USA.

What we could do is improve our training and education systems. we could provide vastly better safety nets, vastly better retraining and a lot more government intervention to help those who are unable to upgrade their training.
Thank you for this post... you articulated something I struggled to when discussing low skill jobs "coming back" to the US. I know not everyone can be an engineer or executive, but it seems like with our resources we should focus on improving our citizens' livelihoods through better jobs... not fighting to keep low skill jobs in factories or mowing lawns. We have a lot of benefits other countries like Mexico and China can't give to all its citizens and I really believe our competitive advantage is in high skilled labor. Just because someone can't be an engineer doesn't mean they have to be a cashier... we can develop more training programs to make them tradesmen like carpenters, contractors, etc. Leave the factories to the developing countries or low skill foreign labor. Why should we encourage Americans with high school degrees to do the same job that a Mexican or Chinese dude with just a middle school education can do? It's not productive from a macro level.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Talks of ending trade with countries supporting North Korea and it's nuclear program could lead to ending trade with China.

But could the US survive without Chinese goods?

Of course it would never happen because like 90% of all goods sold by Trump family are made in China.

I think those hats are made in USA.
I wonder what would be left to buy in all the big box stores if the Chinese merchandise were suddenly taken out of the equation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies