Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:31 PM

2,538 posts, read 2,735,966 times

Advertisements

Please bring it on. I dream of the day when I don't have to buy the cheap unreliable crap from China. The higher price would be worth it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Please bring it on. I dream of the day when I don't have to buy the cheap unreliable crap from China. The higher price would be worth it!!!
Why do you "have to" buy the cheap crap from China... if you can afford it, you can buy everything you want from the US. If you can't afford it, why do you think that would change just because the Chinese stuff leaves the market?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
You were outvoted by the Waltons, Wal-Mart Shoppers, The Board Rooms and the vast majority of Americans. One dollar=one vote in this case and there is no movement of ANY sort toward "buy American" (that is, it's not anything moving the needle).

Old 09-06-2017, 01:35 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,488,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You were outvoted by the Waltons, Wal-Mart Shoppers, The Board Rooms and the vast majority of Americans. One dollar=one vote in this case and there is no movement of ANY sort toward "buy American" (that is, it's not anything moving the needle).
There are movements to "buy American" - only it's led by the leftist hippies Repubs hate anyway.

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
I'd like to try to live without cheap Chinese goods. Perhaps we Americans would employ more American workers to make our goods and become less of a disposable society. We throw away everything if it breaks instead of getting it repaired with no regard for our garbage and where that trash goes.

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Do you own a Mac Pro? It's a nice computer made right here.

You can buy smartphones not made in Commie China. Do you have one of these?

Same goes with a LOT of gadgets - you can find some made in Taiwan and Korea...and even some made in Finland (Phones).

Old 09-06-2017, 02:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'd like to try to live without cheap Chinese goods. Perhaps we Americans would employ more American workers to make our goods and become less of a disposable society. We throw away everything if it breaks instead of getting it repaired with no regard for our garbage and where that trash goes.
Me, too. It is so hard to find products not made in China - even higher end brands. I bought a Coach purse a few years ago - really not realizing until I saw the tag that it was made in China. Last Coach purchase. All these cheap tee shirts and clothes, dish towels that don't absorb water, etc... I'd rather pay more and have things that last - like we did when I was a kid. My granny had sheets that were old and in perfect condition. We are way too much a disposable society. I'd happily pay 3 times the price for a quality US item than buy that same cheap item 3 times because it kept wearing out.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wonder what would be left to buy in all the big box stores if the Chinese merchandise were suddenly taken out of the equation.

Why assume only big box sells Made in China?

What would be left in most retail stores?

Most clothing/ leather goods increasing comes from other countries.

Most food and beverages are not imported from China.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
No one forces you to buy cheap, unreliable crap from anywhere.

You can pay more to buy more reliable crap from China or other countries or the US.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Most folk seem to prefer shiny new to old reliable.

Repairing a toaster costs more than a new toaster.

Parts are intentionally discontinued or priced such to make a compelling argument to replace with something shiny and new rather than throw more money at something that has outlived its projected useful life.

US manufacturers figured out serious decades ago that building stuff to last forever was not particularily conducive to repeat business and survival.

US Advertizing/ Marketing figured out serious decades ago how to compel consumers to buy new.

A home buyer is more likely to take a pass on a home with a dated teal and peach interior than a soft grey and cream no different than a kitchen with laminate counters vs granite or Quartz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies