Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM

20,410 posts, read 12,328,971 times

Advertisements

have we cleared this up? the fact is the order allowed the military person (its a female) to go BUY stuff they might need without having to go thru normal procurement procedures.

or do we care because its way more fun to go bonkers about stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 01:49 PM

45,089 posts, read 60,158,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
have we cleared this up? the fact is the order allowed the military person (its a female) to go BUY stuff they might need without having to go thru normal procurement procedures.

Then that would be a "clarification" since the original order specifically said " seize" which has a very specific legal meaning.

If normal procurement procedures were to be bypassed, and that was addressed in the order, then "seize" was unnecessary.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:09 PM

34,172 posts, read 18,460,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

No, the Governor is purposely back tracking. It is obvious what he originally said, and originally meant. Last time I was in St. Croix, and I've been there LOTS of times, I didn't see one gun store, nor outdoor store where soldiers could possibly "buy stuff".

Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 PM

30,546 posts, read 18,034,734 times
Looting reported in St. Martin: The Latest: Irma's storm surge could hit 10 feet in Florida - NY Daily News

Exactly why people like me thought the initial order by the U.S. Virgin Islands governor was disgusting.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:33 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,137,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The Virgin Islands has a population of 106,000. Spread over multiple islands.

The largest city in the Virgin Islands has a whopping 19,000 people, which is... not even one square block of the neighborhood I'm sitting in.

The only reason we are considering the Virgin Islands right now is because of its use to our military, which has a substantial presence there.

So before you go all 2nd Amendment Armchair Lawyer on me, cool it. The only people with anything to steal are in resorts, and their valuables are back on the mainland.
This is the most idiotic and uninformed response thus far.

The United States Virgin Islands is considered because it is U.S. territory and it has been for approximately 100 years.

As far as the military, there is not one active duty unit here. Just reserves and national guard.

Lastly, you clearly have never been to the U.S. Virgin Islands. People in the resorts barely have anything to offer in terms of items to steal. The USVI has some extremely wealthy people who, up until the storm, had some of the most beautiful homes. That includes local people, not just mainlanders who moved down here. Get out of here.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 09-11-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 PM

15,068 posts, read 6,137,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I wish you luck thru this. It is definitely looking bad.
Thank you. We will make it. I'm just thankful for life. Irma was and still is a beast.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:58 PM

18,659 posts, read 7,527,397 times
Why does our 2nd amendment forbid all govts in the U.S. from making laws restricting or taking away the people's right to keep and bar arms?

The Framers were mostly learned men, often scholars who studied other governments going far back into history before their time. And after long and thorough examinations, they decided that the country would be far better off if NO regulations or restrictions on guns and other such weapons existed. Even if it meant an occasional whack job (they existed in George Washington's time just as they do now) getting his hands on a gun.

The Framers were grimly aware that governments themselves did far more harm to their countries if they had even the slightest authority to regulate guns and otherwise prevent law-abiding citizens from defending themselves, even the occasionaly whack job who got a gun. Even a dozen dead in a restaurant or an office building, though horrible, was far less harmful than a government free to abuse and oppress its people.

And that is the reason why no govt in the U.S. is allowed to make any laws restricting or taking away the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

It's one of the more-violated passages in the Constitution. But that doesn't change what it says. And courts that try to pretend it says something else, also don't change what it says.

Making a law preventing mental patients etc. from getting a gun, is flatly unconstitutional. For the reasons I just gave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies