Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 04:22 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times

Advertisements

I have lived this one... even though she got it much worse than I did. Thankfully I had a few friends that I hung out with. I can't imagine going through that alone.

Black family lawsuit: School officials did not protect gifted daughter from black student abuse

Students at Richland School District One’s Hand Middle School “called (the girl) racial slurs like ‘Oreo,’ ‘white girl,’ ‘wannabe white girl’ … and generally maligned her for ‘acting white,’” the lawsuit says, according to The State.

“During those years, she also was “repeatedly pushed, shoved and tripped in hallways and other locations around Hand Middle School … (and) suffered several notable physical assaults,” the lawsuit continues.

The parents contend they complained to school and district officials as well as board members, “little was done and the bullying continued.” The parents also claim the superintendent avoided them when they tried to meet with him.

In February and March, the violence against the girl escalated, the lawsuit says. Students threw water in her face, beat her with a bottle and slammed her face with a backpack, chipping two teeth, the lawsuit says. She ate her lunches hiding in a girls’ toilet stall to avoid the bullies, the lawsuit says.

We complain about what white people do... we are shooting ourselves in the foot with this behavior.

What's interesting is that there will be someone like LeBron James who was gifted at basketball in high school - and troublemakers will leave him alone because he has a chance to "get out". Yet this teenager is also gifted and can also "get out" and be just as great in a different field, and she gets treated like crap. It is as though some will accept certain ways to "make it" in society... sports are accepted... singing and rapping are accepted... being headsmart and good in school, not as accepted.

I know these are middle schoolers we are talking about. Maybe we adults need to do a better job of communicating what's important and appreciating one's gifts from any area. Apparently these "administrators" don't get it and allow this bullying to persist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 04:29 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
This has been going on for 50 years that I know of.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:32 PM

17,612 posts, read 17,649,156 times
I saw stuff like this in school from the mid70s to the mid80s. Speak properly, study hard, keep out of trouble and they're accused of "acting white". Many times this included groups physically attacking the student. Some of these victims eventually stop studying and change their ways to avoid the attacks.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:43 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
I observed this from black students when I was in school...very intelligent or just studious black students (especially male) were harassed and made fun of by other black students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies