Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:33 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And I read execs at Equifax sold shares to the tune of millions once they knew they were hacked.
$1.5 million but they claim they didn't know.
Someone also traded 26000 put options on 8/21. Equifax normally has 260 options traded monthly.

And the SEC has no comment on any of these trades.

"Never let a crisis go to waste"..remember that one ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 10:47 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I receive letters from the US Government monthly with my Social Security written on them.

Think about that for a minute - the Federal Government sends me a statement monthly to say "This is not a bill" and it has my entire Social Security number, name/address written on it. At the same time, I have mail that goes "missing" almost every month. It's a "poof" that none of them can explain.
Missing Mail that somehow just doesn't get delivered.

Washington D.C. ....... We have a problem and the Hacking is a small part of that problem.
that is being phased out i believe next year...

Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
that is being phased out i believe next year...
With all the hacks that have happened over the last several years phasing it out now is a day late and a dollar short.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
And I read execs at Equifax sold shares to the tune of millions once they knew they were hacked.
Isn't that insider trading? Isn't that illegal? Wonder how much Equifax "donates" to their favorite lawmakers?

Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
From News you can use - a brief break in Partisan Hackery to REAL Hackery:

Credit reporting firm Equifax says data breach could potentially affect 143 million US consumers |CNBC 9/7/17

The breach happened in May 2017, discovered on July 29, 2017 and finally reported on September 7, 2017.

Credit reporting firm Equifax says data breach could potentially affect 143 million US consumers

~Equifax said data on 143 million U.S. customers was obtained in a breach.
~The breach was discovered July 29.
~Personal data including birth dates, credit card numbers and more were obtained in the breach.
~*~Three Equifax executives sold shares in the company days after the breach was discovered.

143 MILLION people - that's the number of US Citizens that have Credit Reports, as Equifax is one of three main Credit Reporting Companies. What does this mean for you?

Let me count the ways - The Kibby family Data was hacked a few years ago when the Federal Office of Personnel Management was "hacked" and Data stolen. As with Equifax we were not informed of the Stolen Data for many months. The OPM stolen data was from the data base of Secret Security Clearances. We have never worked FOR the Federal Government - BUT have had a Secret or Top Secret Security for almost 40 years, so anyone in that Data base was impacted.

What has the impact been - so far, 3 different meetings with the IRS, a "code number" added to all Income Tax returns, a "Victim Status" added to our IRS profile and an upcoming IRS hearing to explain why we DO NOT owe the IRS for money they gave away in "Income Tax Credits" to the persons who STOLE our Social Security Numbers and are now using them.

DO NOT think for a minute that you will ever be able to stop those who Steal you Social Security number - you won't. "Privacy Laws" protect the Thieves. Keep good records and I would advise (for those who actually send checks to the IRS as we do every year) to print out the cancelled checks. Document constantly.

Good Luck to anyone who has a "Credit Report" ...... You will need it.
The company said the exposed data include names, birth dates, Social Security numbers, addresses and some driver's license numbers, all of which Equifax aims to protect for its customers.

Equifax added that 209,000 U.S. credit card numbers were obtained, in addition to "certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers."
Not concerned.
I realized a long time back that nobody's data is safe anyway.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Isn't that insider trading? Isn't that illegal? Wonder how much Equifax "donates" to their favorite lawmakers?
They would have to prove that those 3 execs knew of the breach before they sold.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:52 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Please stop with this ****.

The two biggest issues:

Why the hell was there not multiple levels of encryption on Equifax servers. The company should be sued out of existence.

Our Archaic system that relies on a unsecured 9 digit number that is presented on a piece of garbage paper. Time for a real national identity card and number that has 21st century security.

But but but but that would be unfair.... I can hear the left whining already.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
$1.5 million but they claim they didn't know.
Someone also traded 26000 put options on 8/21. Equifax normally has 260 options traded monthly.

And the SEC has no comment on any of these trades.

"Never let a crisis go to waste"..remember that one ?
and as one article pointed out . 1.5 million might not seem a lot, but these guys are NOT tech rich, 1 million is a lot to them..

Old 09-08-2017, 11:01 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
I hope the executives that sold their shares get fried.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
But but but but that would be unfair.... I can hear the left whining already.
What are you talking about, how is this even political? One could say it's Trumps fault, it happened under his watch. This has ZERO to do with left or right and everything to do with cyber security awareness and protection (better protection of personal data). Are the way these credit bureaus, acquiring, storing, securing and monetizing our personal data even still necessary or relevant. These three bureaus should have some of the highest levels or security and data encryption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies