Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 03:19 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
I posted this in the retirement section but will copy it here.

You can put a "Credit Freeze" on all 3 of your credit reports so it'll restrict the access to your credit reports. It's a pain to keep freezing and unfreezing them but it's a cheap way to restrict access to your report.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...eze-faqs#score

When you say "freezing credit reports" what exactly do you mean?

Some of us rely on credit to run our businesses. Turning off cards isn't an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 03:21 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
I went to that site, and typed in the info they needed to see if my account was in the margins of those hacked, and of course it was.

I am beginning to think this is bogus.

As soon as the info came back that I was within the margin, I got to thinking, this is just like one of those mailers you get that say to scratch off the ticket to see if you won something, and you always do, all you need to do is contact them to claim your phony prize.

Bob.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I went to that site, and typed in the info they needed to see if my account was in the margins of those hacked, and of course it was.

I am beginning to think this is bogus.

As soon as the info came back that I was within the margin, I got to thinking, this is just like one of those mailers you get that say to scratch off the ticket to see if you won something, and you always do, all you need to do is contact them to claim your phony prize.

Bob.
Try it a few times to see if you get the same answer.

I got 3 maybe, 1 yes and 1 no about my data being hacked.

I'm seriously considering just freezing my credit at the big 3.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:34 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
When you say "freezing credit reports" what exactly do you mean?

Some of us rely on credit to run our businesses. Turning off cards isn't an option.
Yes,this won't be a good option for you if that's the case. It basically freeze your credit report so no one can access it until you unfreeze it. For me I only buy a new vehicle every so often and already have a house and everything else so it makes sense. Next time I buy a truck I can just unfreeze it,but the truck,then freeze it again. It's a PITA but with this stuff happening more and more it's just another way to try and protect yourself.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,570,932 times
I watched the Equifax video and got worried when he said they engaged the services of a cybersecurity firm. Hope it wasn't CrowdStrike!

Old 09-08-2017, 04:44 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
First legal action has been filed: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...uit/645632001/

There will likely be more, many more to come.

If this turns out to be nearly as bad as Equifax claims people are going to be harmed for years, not just the one or so Equifax is offering free credit monitoring.

Think of people like seniors and others who don't necessarily follow these things and or aren't tech or otherwise savvy enough to navigate the various protections.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:48 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,651 times
There are 249 million adults in the US. So this hack means more than 50% of the US adult population got their data stolen.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:04 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Yes,this won't be a good option for you if that's the case. It basically freeze your credit report so no one can access it until you unfreeze it. For me I only buy a new vehicle every so often and already have a house and everything else so it makes sense. Next time I buy a truck I can just unfreeze it,but the truck,then freeze it again. It's a PITA but with this stuff happening more and more it's just another way to try and protect yourself.
Thanks for the suggestion. I went a long time without a credit card, and my car was purchased in 2006. But then I went and got a CC in December for any just in case moments....but really it was just to see if I could even get one after having nothing on my report for 10 years. (I paid my car off within a year.)

Since I've done that, I keep getting all these "pre-approved" pieces of garbage...so that + the fact that these companies don't care to keep our info safe means I think I'm going to go ahead and freeze the reports, like you said. Ten dollars seems a small price to pay compared to someone stealing your identity.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
You think this is Venezuela ?
That is unworkable on second thought.

A better idea would be to deport them, if shooting them isn't an option.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
How can one of the big three allow this happen? This is willful negligence imo. WTF do these firms not fix their damn leaks until after they've been hacked?! People need to hang for this BS. And of course, my wife and I both had our data compromised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies