Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 07:40 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,956,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I found it somewhat telling the author, who is obviously antagonistic to "white Christians", uses Christian synonymously with evangelical at various times in the article.
Me too. I guess that's why the OP did the same thing.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:13 AM

15,576 posts, read 10,290,871 times
It is tragic to me that Americans are abandoning their Christian religion. Faith in god and being emotionally and spiritually connected to their religious congregation have given generations of Americans comfort, help, and rules to guide their lives. Suicide rates are increasing in the US, which make me wonder if declining faith in god/connection to the church community and suicide are related.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-08-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 08:14 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,426,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Me too. I guess that's why the OP did the same thing.
Huh? I was posting this to point out the diminishing power of white evangelicals..a specific term in politics.

Christians, in general, don't really constitute a political group or force--in fact, most my devout friend abjure politics altogether--believing their attention should be focused on Christ's message.

I do NOT believe the two are interchangeable.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:15 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,451,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It is tragic to me that Americans are abandoning their Christian religion. Faith in god has given generations of Americans comfort, help, and rules to guide their lives. Suicide rates are increasing in the US, which makes me wonder if declining faith in god and suicide are related.
It doesn't take believing in someone who doesn't exist to be a good person and live a good life

Old 09-08-2017, 09:11 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,375,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It doesn't take believing in someone who doesn't exist to be a good person and live a good life
No it doesn't. Religion don't create good people. That is all up to you an an individual. Some people are just born with less empathy, care, emotions....whatever.. than others and it doesn't matter how Christian ( in this case ) they are. I have some friends that are atheists and they the most selfless goodhearted people you ever meet. Then I know one guy who is an atheist and he is evil..straight up. He is the biggest ******* there is. The same goes for my Christian friends. So I truly believe religion has nothing to do with it. It's your own morals and how you were raised, that makes you into a good or not so good person.

However, I do believe that Christianity can help people who are looking for guidance. Sometimes people are just lost and don't know where to

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 09-08-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-08-2017, 09:18 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,327,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It is tragic to me that Americans are abandoning their Christian religion. Faith in god and being emotionally and spiritually connected to their religious congregation have given generations of Americans comfort, help, and rules to guide their lives. Suicide rates are increasing in the US, which make me wonder if declining faith in god/connection to the church community and suicide are related.
Christians have also given generations of Americans hatred, bigotry, exclusion and justifications for the oppression of women, minorities and gays.

As the reliance on the crutch of religion decreases, the country will become a better place.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,382,585 times
Lightbulb White Christians are no longer a majority of Americans.

At some point, adherents to any and all religions will become a minority. Maybe then we'll be mature enough to move beyond silly squabbles and realize that we're all people with a need to cooperate and live together peacefully.

Maybe...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.