Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
For those that are interested in reading the briefs so far submitted to the Supreme Court in this case, Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission:

Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission - SCOTUSblog

One may want to scroll down to the briefs submitted by each side, read, and then discuss. I have yet to do so, save briefly. I was interested to see that the cake shop is arguing, in part, the First Amendment, regarding the 'freedom of speech'.
Where and when I grew up virtually no high end restaurant would seat a Black party even though in some the staff was all Black.

And even in the last half of the preceding century Las Vegas would not allow Black people to stay in its hotels.

You folk really want to bring that back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:39 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Inconvenience...it's a lot more than inconvenience!

I grew up in a time where there was horrible discrimination at times...and I have seen just how ugly that can be...
I would never want to go back to that. We as a Country, are better than that.

Everyone has the right to the pursuit of happiness and liberty. And to not be treated like a piece of garbage
because of their skin color, nationality, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

Discrimination is illegal...against the law, and if you can't open up and operate a business within the specific of the
legality of the law, then you shouldn't open up a business to begin with.
Discrimination is not entirely illegal. Some forms are perfectly legal. If I don't want to hire someone because they have MS-13 tattoos all over their face and neck I don't have to hire them, no matter how qualified they are.

In the case of the baker there is no discrimination. If the baker does not want to contribute to a gay wedding (and that's exactly what he would be doing) because of deeply held religious beliefs what right does a gay couple have to FORCE him to violate those beliefs? They have no such right. The baker isn't refusing to bake the cake because they are gay. He is refusing because he wants no part of their wedding. He objects to that type of ceremony. He has a right to recuse himself from it.

If the gay couple has a right to force the baker to violate his religious beliefs do they also have the right to force a Muslim to eat ham? Or force a rabbi to eat bacon? Or force an atheist to attend church? Of course not.

Last edited by Tyster; 09-08-2017 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,559,995 times
So many bigots here. It is like a GOP rally.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Discrimination is not entirely illegal. Some forms are perfectly legal. If I don't want to hire someone because they have MS-13 tattoos all over their face and neck I don't have to hire them, no matter how qualified they are.

In the case of the baker there is no discrimination. If the baker does not want to contribute to a gay wedding (and that's exactly what he would be doing) because of deeply held religious beliefs what right does a gay couple have to FORCE him to violate those beliefs? They have no such right. The baker isn't refusing to bake the cake because they are gay. He is refusing because he wants no part of their wedding. He objects to that type of ceremony. He has a right to recuse himself from it.

If the gay couple have a right to force the baker to violate his religious beliefs do they also have the right to force a Muslim to eat ham? Or force a rabbi to eat bacon? Or force an atheist to attend church? Of course not.
Exactly which part of the wedding ceremony involves baking a cake? I have been to dozens of weddings and never once saw a baker there making a cake. I'm pretty sure the baker is not even invited to attend the wedding in most cases.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post

If the gay couple have a right to force the baker to violate his religious beliefs do they also have the right to force a Muslim to eat ham? Or force a rabbi to eat bacon? Or force an atheist to attend church? Of course not.
The belief that Blacks are inferior is held by Fringe religious groups. And it was widely held by major religious groups until recent times. So you think these groups have an inherent right to refuse to service Black people?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Or there are just a lot of homophobes out there.
Define "homophobe".

Old 09-08-2017, 01:00 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
"The government agreed with Philips that his cakes are a form of expression, and he cannot be compelled to use his talents for something in which he does not believe."

Expression my ass.

This guy is in the business of providing a service to the public, and as such he needs to respect all his customers wishes.
If he can't, then he has no business being in a business that caters to the public.

Bob.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Great news! We can finally tell someone with different values than us to get ****ed and the government backs us.

If that's OK, can we run em off the property too? I mean if they're legally offensive, then it's kinda open season on those that are different, isn't it?
From what I'd heard they were friends at one time until the customer tried to sue them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
"The government agreed with Philips that his cakes are a form of expression, and he cannot be compelled to use his talents for something in which he does not believe."

Expression my ass.

This guy is in the business of providing a service to the public, and as such he needs to respect all his customers wishes.
If he can't, then he has no business being in a business that caters to the public.

Bob.
I am very happy for the ruling here and especially now after seeing this post.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Where and when I grew up virtually no high end restaurant would seat a Black party even though in some the staff was all Black.

And even in the last half of the preceding century Las Vegas would not allow Black people to stay in its hotels.

You folk really want to bring that back?
yes, yes they do...lol

Old 09-08-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Exactly which part of the wedding ceremony involves baking a cake? I have been to dozens of weddings and never once saw a baker there making a cake. I'm pretty sure the baker is not even invited to attend the wedding in most cases.
Creating the cake for the wedding is making a direct, material contribution to the wedding. A type of wedding he has a religious objection to.

Would you force a devout Muslim to cater an outdoor pig roast?

Why is this so difficult to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies