Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 10:41 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Forcing someone to violate their religious belief in order to pursue their livelihood and creative expression IS specifically targeting the central element of their religious freedom. And state law CANNOT do so: Supremacy Clause.
Read the earlier Scalia decision again. It can and will and it is virtually certain that a majority of the court will agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
More recent case, from a lower Federal Court: Merced v. Kasson

The government cannot substantially burden a person's free exercise of religion without advancing a compelling governmental interest using the least restrictive means.

Incidentally, that was the same reasoning stated in the Hobby Lobby ruling. Hobby Lobby won.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:46 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Though I personally feel that it's wrong (and rude) to deny business to somebody due to religious/sexual preference differences. However, constitutionally, I believe a private business has that right. I disagree with the idea of discrimination personally, but legally I guess I can understand the decision.

It just feels like a slippery slope to me.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Though I personally feel that it's wrong (and rude) to deny business to somebody due to religious/sexual preference differences. However, constitutionally, I believe a private business has that right. I disagree with the idea of discrimination personally, but legally I guess I can understand the decision.

It just feels like a slippery slope to me.
The First Amendment is not a "slippery slope." Believing it is, is how we lose our Constitutional Rights.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 AM

900 posts, read 375,515 times
Until today you did not answer my question, if the lgbt class is not a class recognized in federal law, how the supreme court may have judged Obergefell v. Hodges in your favor?and Lawrence v. Texas, and United States v. Windsor, and romer v. evans?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
Until today you did not answer my question, if the lgbt class is not a class recognized in federal law, how the supreme court may have judged Obergefell v. Hodges in your favor?and Lawrence v. Texas, and United States v. Windsor, and romer v. evans?
Same sex marriage (sexual relationship, etc.) is an act taken by two consenting parties. Therefore, since there is no conflict between the parties involved in the same sex marriage (in other words, neither is being forced to take such action), there is no compelling reason for government to prohibit same sex marriage or same sex sexual relationships.

The problem with the baker vs Colorado case is that there IS a conflict between the baker and the same sex couple and subsequently, the state forced the baker to either violate his First Amendment Rights or give up pursuit of his livelihood and creative expression. That's clearly unConstitutional.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Forcing someone to violate their religious belief in order to pursue their livelihood and creative expression IS specifically targeting the central element of their religious freedom. And state law CANNOT do so: Supremacy Clause.
How is baking a cake violating their religious belief?

Could that same baker refuse to bake a cake for a Jewish couple?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Whats it matter? Its the bakers labor and he should be able to sell it to whomever he wants. Anything else is servitude.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Creating a custom-order wedding cake for a same sex marriage violates his religious belief and he will not creatively express himself that way. He has that Right: First Amendment.

The baker offered to sell the same sex couple other baked goods, and they had in fact bought baked goods in the bakery on several ocassions.

This isn't a case of discrimination against anyone. It's a case of not wanting to be forced to create something that endorses an act which violates one's religious belief.

This is much the same reason why federal taxpayer money cannot be used to fund abortions. The government cannot force taxpayers to fund abortion if it violates their religious belief. That doesn't mean such taxpayers are discriminating against women.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:

You're diminishing the actual demand. This wasn't just any cake or a tray of muffins. It was to be a custom wedding cake that may contain considerable artistic effort and investment.

To say the two are the same is like comparing a house decorator and a fine artist and saying they do the same job, because they paint stuff. Are you telling me that Andy Warhol or Roy Lichtenstein and Joe (of Joe's painting, decorating and custom cabinetry) do the same task?

What is the celebration or occasion of the Jewish Couples event? The defendant didn't refuse the customers because they were homosexuals (they had been previous customers), but because the event his product would be used for was a SSM that he has moral objection to. Without knowing the event its hard to compare, if the Jewish couple were hosting a Grand Symposium of the North East and Mid West Chapters of the KKK should he have the right to refuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies