Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 06:59 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I think it's time that we have a frank discussion about changing demographics and how it'll impact our country going forward. These gaps are not closing and they will only lead to resentment and strife in the future.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.73defba50a93
And I'll bet it also has something to do with single parent homes. 54% isn't that great, either. It only looks good in comparison.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:01 AM

26,471 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The delta isn't minorities or race, the delta is poverty. The wealthier and more educated ones family, the more opportunities and support one is given both at home and in the community at large. The greater opportunities and support are what leads to a greater chance for success in education and that leads to greater future financial achievement.
It seems to be both, if we are having an honest discussion.

White students in poverty perform virtually the same as upper-income blacks.

I realize that an honest discussion is often not wanted on this topic, but perhaps there is something in the culture of various demographic groups that harms academics.

[url]http://www.jbhe.com/latest/news/1-22-09/satracialgapfigure.gif[/url

And despite contrary claims...the statistics do show a strong correlation between the SAT/ACT and IQ, college graduation rates, college gpas, career success, etc...

Those who deny this are denying the reality of the overwhelming trend and focusing on the exceptions.

What do SAT and IQ tests measure? General intelligence predicts school and life success.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-09-2017 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 09-09-2017, 07:07 AM

30,356 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It seems to be both, if we are having an honest discussion.

White students in poverty perform virtually the same as upper-income blacks.

I realize that an honest discussion is often not wanted on this topic, but perhaps there is something in the culture of various demographic groups that harms academics.

And despite contrary claims...the statistics do show a strong correlation between the SAT/ACT and IQ, college graduation rates, college gpas, career success, etc...

Those who deny this are denying the reality of the overwhelming trend and focusing on the exceptions.

What do SAT and IQ tests measure? General intelligence predicts school and life success.
Yep, this is truth which of course violates the code of Political Correctness.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:32 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
I see you're just interested in making things up or are agenda driven as opposed to being factual:
SAT Analogies and Comparisons: Why Were They Removed, and What Replaced Them?
Personally my problem with these type questions is the solutions are not even logical. You're forced to guess what the question author was thinking rather than make a logical conclusion. In the example in the article you linked, runner:marathon :: referee:tournament, the relationship isn't the same. Even if we allow marathon to be equivalent to a tournament (which it isn't), a runner is more equivalent to a player in the tournament than to an official which is what the referee is. So even if you knew the words, the analogies were still a guessing game.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-09-2017 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Personally my problem with these type questions is the solutions are not even logical. You're forced to guess what the question author was thinking rather than make a logical conclusion. In the example in the article you linked, runner:marathon :: referee:tournament, the relationship isn't the same. Even if we allow marathon to be equivalent to a tournament (which it isn't), a runner is more equivalent to a player in the tournament than to an official which is what the referee is. So even if you knew the words, the analogies were still a guessing game.
The answer is C) oarsman: regatta, which does make sense to me.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:45 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,653 times
The question really should be, "Why would anyone even expect all groups/ethnicities to perform the same?" There's no place on earth where this is the case, yet we always see concern and hand wringing from politicians and academics when tests results end up showing what we all know to be true: people are not all equal.

Last edited by Supachai; 09-09-2017 at 08:10 AM..

Old 09-09-2017, 08:45 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
The crazy thing is many Hispanics and all American Indians are part Asian but; Chinese, Japanese and so on kids usually do well in school.

Black people: word is MOST Africans who started out in Africa and their US born kids do better than any other "race" in the US.

My point is it ain't "race" keeping many of those kids ^^^ down, it's culture. Period.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What we need is to get rid of some of the illogical education concepts and return to basics in subjects like math. It's not you and not your son. No one understands what passes for math education in many schools today. I have advanced degrees in physics and engineering but couldn't help my kids in school math. I would show them how to solve problems the right way, simple and easy, and the teacher would mark it wrong and get upset with them for not doing it the "book" way. Funny thing is, my daughter who is now in college has publically thanked me for making her do it my way because it works and how problems are actually solved.
The "3 R's" are especially useful in 2017 when working on the Internet. What's old is new again.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:53 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The crazy thing is many Hispanics and all American Indians are part Asian but; Chinese, Japanese and so on kids usually do well in school.

Black people: word is MOST Africans who started out in Africa and their US born kids do better than any other "race" in the US.

My point is it ain't "race" keeping many of those kids ^^^ down, it's culture. Period.
I know a family of Black immigrants from England. Their kids far out-achieved Black Americans, as well.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:01 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
I think the SAT was reworked in '94-'95.
Let's not forget that calculators were allowed to be used when they formerly were not. Didn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies