Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,729,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is just one of the many controversies that stained the Obama Presidency as one of the worst in US History.

Everyone knows Obama and Lerner were guilty of weaponizing the IRS whether they prosecute or not.
Yeah, presumed guilty until proven innocent amirite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 PM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How many times I have repeated do not try and put words in my mouth? No where in this topic have I claimed this was premeditated. That does not change the fact the IRS illegally used criteria that targeted a group based on their ideology.

Probably on Lois Lerner's hard drive. The one that contained the only backups because the IRS with their multi billion dollar IT budget couldn't afford a few grand for backup tapes.

So if it's not premeditated and is admittedly just a bureaucratic mistake what exactly is the criminal act, certainly not a misguided search tool. Why so much time sent on this since the IRS already admitted it was wrong to use that criteria, what's the point. Notice the title of this thread.

Go back to post #85 and address the point, it wasn't just conservative groups.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well the fact that no applications from conservative groups were rejected should be of interest.
This was at a time when the Tea Party was gaining a lot of steam leading up to the 2012 election. These delays were not weeks but many months and even years.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Protection_Clause

You could never separate the two. Do you understand the implications of what you are suggesting?
Not an equal protection issue. Simply that groups with particular nomenclature were trying to beat the system. And if they had a high success rate on the criteria it was fair.

Regulatory agencies ideally should shake all applications down to assure they qualify. To the degree they lack the resources to do that the use BOLOs and such. And the IRS is notoriously under resourced.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
and is admittedly just a bureaucratic mistake
For the third time do not put words into my mouth. There is no determination this was simply a mistake either.

The humorous part here is you are accusing me of making wild conclusions when it's you yourself making them.

Quote:
Go back to post #85 and address the point, it wasn't just conservative groups.
I will explain this one last time. The other groups that were flagged were based on apolitical criteria that would have snared anyone.

What part of this do you not understand?

Old 09-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Not an equal protection issue.
Simple question, do you really want the IRS targeting groups based on political ideology?

Why anyone would think this is a good idea is beyond me.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Simple question, do you really want the IRS targeting groups based on political ideology?

Why anyone would think this is a good idea is beyond me.
Simpler outcome. No political non-profits other than 527s that report to the FEC. No more IRS problem.

I don't think this was ever a use of the IRS as a political tool. Just understaffed and weak supervision. Virtually all the people involved including Lerner were career civil service workers. They tend to the apolitical or even the right. Few card carrying lefties at the worker level. Used to work with some of the spooky types but at the provider of services level. Most would be Trumpites in today's standard.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:39 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I hope the Rs are as excited about prison terms when team Mueller goes after Trump and the Gang.
This is another example of the problem. I am NOT an R. What the IRS did should upset everyone. No one should be making excuses. For far too many rooting for "their" team is more important than anything.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:40 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Well the fact that no applications from conservative groups were rejected should be of interest.
Only because they were caught and exposed.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:49 AM

57,074 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
For the third time do not put words into my mouth. There is no determination this was simply a mistake either.

The humorous part here is you are accusing me of making wild conclusions when it's you yourself making them.

That wasn't directed at you, the IRS admitted to the mistake. The IRS cut staff and had an avalanche of new applications so they came up with a short cut in an attempt to pre-screen. I don't see this as anything but a mistake.

Quote:

I will explain this one last time. The other groups that were flagged were based on apolitical criteria that would have snared anyone.

What part of this do you not understand?
That is not true at all, I believe it was 296 groups out of a few thousands were singled out for more intense scrutiny including the 96 that were conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies