Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, here is another article.

The company even outlined how customers could be giving up their right to sue within the website it set up for the sole purpose of helping people discern if their data was stolen.

So they allow a breach then you give up your rights to see if you were effected.

Equifax Help? Give Up Right To Sue | The Daily Caller
Wrong. The TOU only applies to their products that you use.

You can input your info to see if your data was stolen without having to sign up.

I did it 5 times...3 maybe, 1 yes and 1 no. Then it asks you to sign up for your free 1 year monitoring.
You don't waive anything for just trying to find out. But you may get multiple answers like I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:10 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Much as I'm loathe to rely on the government to solve problems, this is a situation where I think people need to be jailed for several reasons. First, there was obviously insider trading going on. Supposedly the guys who sold the stocks didn't know about the intrusion until after they sold it. If anyone believes that then they are imbeciles.

Second, most of us do not have any other choice but to be "customers" of these A-hole credit bureaus. I never signed up for experian, Equifax or TransUnion. But they have all my information regardless. It's a giant scam. Given that we don't have a choice but to associate with these cretins, the penalties when they mess up should be brutal.

This doesn't even take into consideration how unethical our credit system is to begin with. So you're very responsible and wise with your money and have no debt? Guess what, you are going to be punished and have a worse score than some jackass that spends irresponsibly. Just the governments way of making sure we don't save too much and are constantly spending.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:30 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I did it 5 times...3 maybe, 1 yes and 1 no.
Geez. That's reassuring.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:10 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:

You can input your info to see if your data was stolen without having to sign up.

I did it 5 times...3 maybe, 1 yes and 1 no. Then it asks you to sign up for your free 1 year monitoring.
You don't waive anything for just trying to find out. But you may get multiple answers like I did.
This is what I came across too. Our stuff has already been hacked because of stuff within the DoD anyway. We've just learned to keep very close tabs on all our stuff.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
This was the third hack, you would have thought they knew after the first two that their firewall was porous. There is also the issue of three executives selling millions of dollars of stock before the hack was reported, even though Equifax knew about the hack for weeks before reporting it.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:28 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:

Then you don't know. I wonder if we are just supposed to choose an answer we like best.

If they claim to know how many millions were hacked, they should be able to give a real answer, consistently, since they set up the page for that reason. This is crap.

No one has come up with a reason the answers seem to rotate for the same person, what might it be folks?

Old 09-09-2017, 04:47 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
there has been a huge class action lawsuit filed against equifax. we shall see how that goes. there might be one less credit reporting agency when the smoke clears.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Corporate death penalty. Immediate dissolution and jailing of the execs.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there has been a huge class action lawsuit filed against equifax. we shall see how that goes. there might be one less credit reporting agency when the smoke clears.
I sure wouldn't miss them.

With any luck, this will put a spotlight on credit reporting agencies.

I don't understand why so many people rely on these agencies. As many of us know to our cost, they frequently report things that are simply not true. Sure, you can challenge them, and get the offending item removed. Then, guess what - 6 months or 6 years later, it's back, and you have to challenge it all over again! They accept no accountability whatever for the accuracy of the "information" they report. And people pay good money for this.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:02 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
NY AG Schneiderman has launched a probe.

AG Eric Schneiderman launches probe into Equifax data breach - NY Daily News

My data has potentially been compromised..debating what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies