Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:01 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times

Advertisements

Class action seeking to represent 143 million consumers alleges company didn’t spend enough on protecting data.
The case was filed by the firm Olsen Daines PC along with Geragos & Geragos, a celebrity law firm known for blockbuster class actions. Ben Meiselas, an attorney for Geragos, said the class will seek as much as $70 billion in damages nationally.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...dollar-lawsuit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 02:58 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
if you want to find out if your data might have been exposed, you waive your right to sue the Atlanta-based company. We're not making this up. The company has now published a website allowing consumers to input their last six digits of their Social Security numbers to find out.

There is some fine print that allows you to opt out of arbitration if you notify Equifax in writing within 30 days of "accepting this agreement." And the terms also allow you to go to small claims court to individually handle your grievance.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...e-to-find-out/

Old 09-09-2017, 03:00 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Yep, here is another article.

The company even outlined how customers could be giving up their right to sue within the website it set up for the sole purpose of helping people discern if their data was stolen.

So they allow a breach then you give up your rights to see if you were effected.

Equifax Help? Give Up Right To Sue | The Daily Caller

Old 09-09-2017, 05:04 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
hope they sink - all of them they have wayyyyyyy too much control over our lives

Old 09-09-2017, 02:13 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Default Arrest the management team at Equifax

The Equifax situation is criminal. These people failed in every aspect of their job. They compromised data for 143 million people. And then they sat on the information for 6 weeks, after they knew about it. However, that didn't stop the higher ups from unloading their stock.

Then, they put in place all kinds of half-assed measures with strings attached so that you can't sue them.

You've got to be kidding.

I'm normally not a proponent of the government solving problems, but if Trump really wants to do something constructive, then let his executive branch go after this bunch of criminals.

By the way, anyone who owns EFX stock better unload it, because it's got nowhere to do but down.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:20 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The Equifax situation is criminal. These people failed in every aspect of their job. They compromised data for 143 million people. And then they sat on the information for 6 weeks, after they knew about it. However, that didn't stop the higher ups from unloading their stock.

Then, they put in place all kinds of half-assed measures with strings attached so that you can't sue them.

You've got to be kidding.

I'm normally not a proponent of the government solving problems, but if Trump really wants to do something constructive, then let his executive branch go after this bunch of criminals.

By the way, anyone who owns EFX stock better unload it, because it's got nowhere to do but down.
In this day and age, I need to see some links before I believe these claims.

If they dumped stock then that's insider trading but I can't just immediately trust an anonymous internet post.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Maybe it’s time for all the CEOs and those members on the board of directors to have “their” personal information stored online with all of their customers’ data! NOW! They’ll feel like you and I do about this problem.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:34 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
if you want to find out if your data might have been exposed, you waive your right to sue the Atlanta-based company. We're not making this up. The company has now published a website allowing consumers to input their last six digits of their Social Security numbers to find out.

There is some fine print that allows you to opt out of arbitration if you notify Equifax in writing within 30 days of "accepting this agreement." And the terms also allow you to go to small claims court to individually handle your grievance.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...e-to-find-out/
i am pretty sure of two things.

1 a class action suing over an arbitration clause forced on clients under duress would be an easy win and likely as big a lawsuit as a class action over the leak.

2 the arbitration clause no doubt refers to the one year offer, and not the data breach.

3 i have not even read it and i know i am right. lawyers would go to town on such a weak sauce attempt ot get consumers to give up their rights.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:46 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
The original Social Security law provides that SSN's only be used within the sphere of Social Security benefits. That law is still on the books. Maybe it's time for the lawyers to sue for SME enforcement.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In this day and age, I need to see some links before I believe these claims.

If they dumped stock then that's insider trading but I can't just immediately trust an anonymous internet post.
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...lation-n799686
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies